Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Lots of Questions About Study Butte/Terlingua

• 19 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Lots of Questions About Study Butte/Terlingua
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »
Oh!  And I'm assuming there will be a lot of wild dung patties to collect in my wheelbarrow ... I've heard animal doo-doo (especially cow/horse) is an excellent binder, and natural sealer, for earthen plaster!

:eusa_dance:
I don't think there's a lot of horse and cattle roaming the ranch area. I suppose you could take a shovel along while driving into Big Bend Ranch State Park....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:26:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »

Also, seeing how I'll probably go with load-bearing, I had already planned on using rebar for reinforcement, and also thought we'd want add extra weight by placing strawbales above the ceiling ... to hasten compression, and to add extra insulative properties above-head as well. 

Do these ideas/plans sound reasonable?

Load bearing is what I had been considering. I was strongly urged to do a frame infill instead (with metal braces for the frame). After that trip I can believe it. Wind was a killer on our property that weekend. I'm really considering more wind power than solar after that trip.

I'm doing some research into spans for concrete roofs with the new plan to build into the hill. I plan to do either a filled cinderblock, or poured slipform using natural stone for the finish for the walls. I plan to build our place myself if I can work the timing out. I plan to have my own backhoe and keep it to help with any road work I need.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »
We welcome your heart to this great spot!

On a positive note, if you're careful, the 10 inches of rain we get here a year are enough to last.  You'll learn about "If it's yellow, let it mellow . . . "  LOL

Remote we may be, but don't forget high speed internet is readily available through Big Bend Telephone, and UPS, FedEx and USPS can deliver most anything you desire!

The people are our greatest resource! 

Voni
  sMiling
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

Offline Mama Crow

• Tough Girl-Be Gentle
  • Jack Rabbit
    • The Texas Holistic Network
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
Thank you so much, Voni.

:eusa_angel:

Namaste.
"The world breaks everyone and, afterward, some are strong at the broken places." - Ernest Hemingway

Offline TerlinguaRanchProspect

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
Thank you so much, Voni.

:eusa_angel:

Namaste.

I'm very intrigued by your post! Thanks for putting yourself out there.

I have a question though - how do you expect to live "off grid" (or off-off-grid like you mentioned) with a cell phone and laptop? That just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of your plan. You'll be more connected than the average country folk, so why skimp in other areas? I understand the desire to be self sufficient - I want that too! But if you have a cell phone and a laptop you might as well have other luxuries as well, right?

This reminds me of the Amish guys on a recent hunting trip. They would sneak up to our hunting lodge to plugin in their cell phones that they weren't even supposed to have. I don't get it?  :eusa_think:

I hope you get EXACTLY what you want regardless, please don't get me wrong. I am just more curious than anything.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!