Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Moving to Terlingua

• 10 Replies

Offline EmoryGal

• Kangaroo Rat
  • 1st trip in 1998, still my favorite place on earth
Moving to Terlingua
« on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
Hi everybody!
This past weekend I went out to Terlingua/Alpine to look at property with my family. We are currently between 2 properties. I also spoke to an Outfitter about a job and if there's room for me I'll be hopefully living and working in Terlingua this September.

Here's where I'm needing some ideas.

One property has RV carport and water catchment, also very close to power lines. If we choose this property the idea is to add a barn structure and enclose part of it as a living space until I get some money together for a small home.

The second property isn't developed at all. So I would need to bring or build something. This may not be possible in my time frame. The barn may also not be finished in my time frame.

Does anyone know of temporary lodging or people willing to rent out a room for a bit in the area? I know it's a stretch due to the lack of people in the area in general. But I want to make sure I have a back up. Just hoping for any leads anyone has or even ideas or tips on turning a barn structure into a living space relatively quickly!

I'm really stoked about finally getting to live in the area, it's always felt like home to me. I just want to have all my ducks in a row.

Thanks so much!

-EmoryGal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In love with Big Bend since I was 4 years old in 1998!

Offline strawhouse

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Moving to Terlingua
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:05:10 PM »
Good luck on moving to the Bend.  You might do a web search on 'barndominium' for some ideas of what the structures can look like.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »
This past weekend I went out to Terlingua/Alpine to look at property with my family.

Of course you did. Of course you are. Good luck!  :great: :great: :great:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 10:06:01 PM »
I suggest you get in touch with Voni. She hasn't been active here in a while, but is on Facebook every now in then. She's pretty plugged in to the Terlingua scene and might have some suggestions.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Coyote
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
PM sent.
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:34 AM »
Here I sit in my office choosing among administrivia, while you are in the Bend choosing among properties. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself and to be amazed.

Offline Demon Deacon

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
I have nothing to add here, except my own jealousy.  Good luck and congrats on taking the leap.

Offline marufo

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
Welcome to Terlingua!

There will be challenges, and right now housing is definitely one of them. Ironically, it's not so much too few people as too many - the tourism boom of the last 2-3 years has created more employment opportunities with not much increase in housing. In addition, and somewhat controversial locally, with AirBnB etc. some properties that were formerly available for monthly rental are now more profitable to rent by the night, and most new construction has been for nightly rentals.

My suggestions are: 1) Network hard. Rentals that come open are usually filled by word of mouth, so introduce yourself and chat up anybody you meet, whether it's your potential future employer or coworkers or people you meet on the porch or at the post office. 2) Be prepared to rough it, and try to start thinking in Terlingua terms. There are more than a few folks out here who started living in a tent or out of their vehicle, then put up a pole barn, then put up some walls, and so forth, all as they could afford it. Be prepared to haul your water and live without electricity. Consider a used RV or teepee...

Best of luck!

Offline EmoryGal

• Kangaroo Rat
  • 1st trip in 1998, still my favorite place on earth
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
Thank you everyone for the contacts, love and tips! this is something I've wanted for a long time, and I figure I need to at least give it a go while I'm young and have few attachments in Houston.

Marufo-Thanks for the tips. I heard that same info before too. I have been looking at older RVs and campers as a solid option and more than fine living out of a tent or in my car for the initial part of my stay. I just don't do well in the cold. So I'd like to get into some sort of shelter by winter time. Both properties are close to electricity and one already has a water catchment system and RV car port. So that would be a great place to start if we go with that property. I'm ready for the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In love with Big Bend since I was 4 years old in 1998!

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »
In addition, and somewhat controversial locally, with AirBnB etc. some properties that were formerly available for monthly rental are now more profitable to rent by the night, and most new construction has been for nightly rentals.

Very interesting.  Short term rentals like AirBnB are becoming increasingly controversial nationally.  One of the criticisms is a reduction of housing stock.  Sounds like this has been very pronounced in Terlingua.  Sorry to hear that.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline roadjunkie

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
I'm strongly considering moving to the area too.  I recently bought a nice little used 2003 travel trailer with plans of doing just that.  It's only 18' long but has AC, furnace, shower w/tub, gas/electric refrigerator-freezer, microwave, gas stove, gas/electric hot water tank and a nice queen sized bed with a memory foam mattress.

It's very doable for one or 2 people as far as living goes.....  or at least I think so but then again, I've been living on my sailboat for the past 6 months so the trailer is like a mansion.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!