Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Terlingua Ranch

• 7 Replies

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Terlingua Ranch
« on: June 28, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »
Anyone know anything about the properties in Terlingua Ranch Estates? I'm looking at buying some acreage out near BIBE within the next 6 months and noticed plots of land in TR going for $150-300 per acre. I know it's desert...but what gives? Why so cheap?

Any info from anyone would be most helpful.

DavidW
David

Offline Windchime

• Diamondback
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:25:15 PM »
Cheap??? :o   I remember when it was going for $22 an acre!!  We bought 32 acres for $115/acre a couple of years ago...about 5 miles from the TR Lodge...almost 4WD road from the main ranch road to the property. Now it is going for $250 and up. There is no water, unless you are willing to sink a well which may or may not hit H2O. Most use catchment or haul it in and pay by the gal. Not sure if it will continue to go up in price, but God ain't making any more land these days, so probably will not fall in price.  :D  Thangs are a changing out here :cry:

If interested in land in TR, try this site:
http://www.poatri.org/index.html
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal Government.

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:50:38 PM »
Thanks Windchime. I have been looking at the POATRI site for a few weeks now. Also, West Texas Realty in Alpine lists alot of properties in TR. When I said "cheap" it was in comparison to the $35,000 per acre that a guy I work with just paid for an acre here in Weatherford.  :shock: The plots of land (mostly 20 acres) that the West Texas Realty website shows have awesome views. It's rugged looking land...but, isn't that why we all love the BIBE area so much? :)
David

Offline Windchime

• Diamondback
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 08:12:59 PM »
David,
We bought ours through W. Texas Realty. They are pretty good folks, but highly recommend you go out and see the property before buying. He is a pilot and pretty good with a GPS and will mark off the corners for you. Believe he is pretty accurate...as close as you can get without a survey and there are no surveys out here. :)  You would be surprised how many do not see it before buying. Tried to buy direct from an owner once  in L.A. who had bought sight unseen.  I went  went to the TR Lodge to located it on their maps...which is on a goofy Texas grid system,  and then went out and GPS'd the land just to be sure.  Fully half the property was in Saltgrass Draw and they wanted $500/acre...would not have paid $75. They were clueless. Good luck on your hunt for property. :D
The opinion expressed above is my own and not that of the National Park Service or the Federal Government.

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 08:15:35 PM »
Thanks again, Windchime.
David

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 08:54:08 PM »
David,

We're in the process of purchasing 40 acres at TR thru West Tx Realty. We spent a day driving around walking some property they had listed. I found pretty much exactly what we wanted, Somewhat rugged (has hills and flats) about 3 miles off the main ranch road. Power is within 100 yards of the property to. Ric from West Tx was listing the land and he helped me find 2 of the 4 corners (I found the other 2 myself when we went back later). There were posts and cairns at each corner (however one corner had 3 different markers all within about 15 feet of each other????).

The map at the ranch is designated on the Texas South central state plane grid system. You can download Corpscon6 from the Corps of Engineers and it can convert those coordinates to NAD 27 (which was what Ric gave me the coordinates in) or other datums for you.

I plan to eventually build our retirement house there (and use it for vacations until then). I haven't found a way to the property that will handle my RV yet, but I've checked some ariel photos of the area and think I've found a back way that may work (couple of steep hills the way we went in with the jeep). The roads are really about perfect for my likes (well being able to keep the RV there would be nice, but I could store it) however I do wonder about getting building materials in right now (until I find another route in).

I hope to close first to middle of August.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

Offline DavidW

• Black Bear
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »
Robert - Thanks for the info. I was down in the TR area last November and just loved the ruggedness of the land. have viewed several sites online but they all look too flat for my liking. Would prefer something with a bit of terrain to it. Going back to BIBE this weekend and will be looking a bit closer at some properties. Hope to do something within the next 6 months.
David

Offline Doc Savage

• Diamondback
  • Ready to see BIBE again
Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 08:13:45 AM »
David,

We were shown a place in Agua Fria that was literally TOO rough for us. We had to drive thru 2 draws that would probably flood when it rained, and then the parcel started at the edge of a creek and looked like the floodplain for the creek could take up a good portion of the land. I don't think I saw a flat spot there big enough to pitch a family sized tent.

What I ended up looked flatter than I wanted on the ranch map, but in person it was really nice. Ridge about 60 feet above a road at the south end and it gradually sloped flat to the north with a couple of small ridges running N/S and E/W from the two "peaks" at the south. There is a large mountain to the north (can't remember the name, I think it's where Johnson ranch is) and Jack Eden Mesa to the SE.

I really had my eye on a parcel listed on the poatri website in the Solatario area. It looked to have a deep gulley in it and the land dropped off to the east and there was what looked to be a nice flat area for a house overlooking all that, but we really liked this and it was closer in to things and had the power close by.

I figure our land will sit bare for about 5 years before we start doing anything to it. I have some definate ideas about house plan and construction as well as making it as much "off-grid" as possiable.

Robert
Enjoying the Texas life!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!