Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Terlingua Ranch

• 11 Replies

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
Terlingua Ranch
« on: July 25, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
Terlingua Ranch is having some political issues. But I guess most places do.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:49:56 PM by Kathleen »

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: SOLD ***10 acres and cabin for sale-Terlingua Ranch $30,000 firm
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:00:27 PM »
so Kathleen -- are you leaving the Bend?
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »
No, I am moving to a different piece of property
K

so Kathleen -- are you leaving the Bend?

SHANEA

Re: Terlingua Ranch
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »

WHAT!  I thought all that was behind everyone out there with new management, closing down the pool, restaurant, lodge, opening up of the Christmas Mountains, etc.?  I long ago bowed out of the various Yahoo groups associated with it - I'd decided I wouldn't buy out there due to all of the turmoil about roads, road access, crossing property lines, having roads maintained, interesting "elections" of the BOD or POA or whatever, secret assessments, people being exempted from assessments, etc.

So, what's the spin now?  Enquiring minds want to know...

Offline rgibson

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 07:52:55 PM »
Kinda hard to explain, but one can be on TR and completely be away from all you described.  I am on top of a mountain about a mile north of BBNP line near Paint Gap.  The Chisos and, on most days, the del Carmens are the views from the porch.  Have a 160 acre tract and can not even see another house.

Bought in '89 and have stayed out of the elections, member meetings, etc and it works out just fine.  Most other folks have the same attitude and they do just fine also.  One just does not hear this side of TR.   Have tried to talk to some BOD folks one on one and some of the instigators to chill out and get along, but it does not seem to work for any change.  One instigator is an 'in your face sorta guy" and he recently gave me a hard time about my "feel good" attitude. Ha!  Bilateral is a bad word to him.

The whole experience of politics of TR for the last 20 years, and the 20 years before, sorta reminds me of grade school. About seven years ago the" in your face sorta guy" elevated TR politics to "graduate" grade school politics and that is when things started downhill.  Guess some folks move to TR and just do not have enough to do otherwise.  Was on the City Council in Richardson for 12 years and was a registered lobbyist in Austin, so I sorta know how to get things done but it does not work on the TR.  Through the years in Terlingua and Lajitas, sometimes when there was a problem with the state, county or something, folks would be all upset and bring a petition to the LTP for folks to sign so the problem could be rectified.   Talked with petition person a while and tell them, let me see what could be done  in Austin or Alpine..  Made phone  calls and the problem would be fixed.

Under the old regime in Alpine, did have to tell the County Judge before Judge Val  Beard  we were going to have to  form back Foley? County as the south county area was originally formed in the 1800's.  There were only about a dozen folks then and no one ever sent back the papers to Austin,  so Brewster asked for Foley? to be in Brewster and it was approved.  The reason for the ? mark is there were two other counties that did not send in the papers and are now in Brewster County also and forget which ones are which.  Got the desired results.  Some of us, later in the previous county judge's regime, did try to become the 255th county of Texas, but that is a whole 'nuther story.

Kathleen, having done a great job when she was on  BOD, will have more info on awhatsagoinon
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:06:13 PM by rgibson »

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »
No new manager has been hired yet.
Things are still kind of up in the air.
I am hoping the new board in January will help bring things along!
I am moving out there full time in 10 months.
Kathleen

WHAT!  I thought all that was behind everyone out there with new management, closing down the pool, restaurant, lodge, opening up of the Christmas Mountains, etc.?  I long ago bowed out of the various Yahoo groups associated with it - I'd decided I wouldn't buy out there due to all of the turmoil about roads, road access, crossing property lines, having roads maintained, interesting "elections" of the BOD or POA or whatever, secret assessments, people being exempted from assessments, etc.

So, what's the spin now?  Enquiring minds want to know...

Offline 1badtk

• 83% Crazy
  • Jack Rabbit
  • COFFEE!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:21 PM »
Who owns the $800,000.00 home at mile marker 10 West of the Ranch Rd that's for sale? See it listed on several sites and have driven by it several times. Anyone know, Kathleen? rgibson?
WARNING!
I am not responcible for the above post accuracy or validity.
With the outside forces of God, Satan, and the small voices in my head, I am not in total control. Therefore read at your own risk and DO NOT CALL 911.

Offline rgibson

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »
The $800k listing is on the Silk Stocking Row portion of the Main Ranch Rd.  Met them a couple of times when I stopped by to visit the builder, a friend Craig Olander.  The owners were staying in a travel trailer during the construction.  It was an add on to a existing house.

Quality appliances etc etc and a really good design and workmanship.  Probably the nicest place in south county except maybe a couple in Lajitas.

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:38:30 PM »
I think you are talking about a different one. The one where the people added on and stayed in a trailer is owned by Ed Macardo and his wife Kathy. It is not for sale.
The one that is for sale is in the same area--has two houses--very beautiful adobe.
That is owned by Dr Jack Hennessey and his wife Gillian. stunning piece of property and houses.
Kathleen

Offline rgibson

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
It sure looks similar to the one on inet.  Where is the Dr Hennessy home?

Offline Kathleen

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »
http://www.lindawelshrealty.com/Terlingua
that is the Jack Hennessy home-- you can see there are two houses-- those are his.
It's close to the other house that you are thinking of.
Kathleen

It sure looks similar to the one on inet.  Where is the Dr Hennessy home?

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
...(from POATRI/TRPOA's home page):

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  Our attorney has been researching the issues of the changes in state law to the Property Code and how it affects Terlingua Ranch as a POA. (most specifically Section 209.0059) This section deals with voting and membership rights.  It is his conclusion that our member's rights to vote and to run for director's position may not be based upon payment of assessments.  We have scheduled a meeting with the attorney in Midland for Thursday November 17th to discuss how to proceed with the current director election and Article 3 ballot and stay in full compliance with state law.  Due to the changes in state law, some of the wording in Articles 3.01, 3.12, 4.02, and 4.04 should be immediately amended for compliance.  We will notify the members as soon as we have the final word on the changes and how it affects this upcoming election.  We are doing our best to keep the election on schedule if possible.   Thank you.  Tanya Phillips, President POATRI

Hmm -- interesting... :eusa_think:
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!