Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Terlingua vandalism

• 66 Replies

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
Re: Terlingua vandalism
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »
Junk pile? Maybe someone should mow down Hovenweep, the junk at Chaco Canyon, all that trash under the cliffs of Mesa Verde. Junk abounds...

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »
Junk pile? Maybe someone should mow down Hovenweep, the junk at Chaco Canyon, all that trash under the cliffs of Mesa Verde. Junk abounds...
How many half falling down buildings do we pass driving through Texas? My point is a half falling down wall may be historic or it may by just an old half falling down wall. Some people don't care to understand the difference.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
Does anyone know exactly which ruins were pushed over?

Based on what I've seen on Facebook, it appears to be these:

Here's a distant shot showing all of them (prior to destruction):

And two other shots that are closer:

Can anyone confirm?

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »

How many half falling down buildings do we pass driving through Texas? My point is a half falling down wall may be historic or it may by just an old half falling down wall. Some people don't care to understand the difference.

I think adobe construction, historic mining area, things like that would a fairly powerful clue. And of course there is the simple fact that one shouldn't wander around on other peoples property and destroy anything. It doesn't matter what they thought it was... they didn't own it.

I take this as your point "Some people don't care to understand the difference."

The web is a horrible place to have this kind of conversation. I doubt there would be any misunderstanding if we were talking face to face.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
Exactly. I wasn't trying to excuse their behavior,  just trying to explain it. Plenty of stupid people out there. The idiots in the video didn't think they were doing anything wrong.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
"The idiots in the video didn't think they were doing anything wrong."

That simply amazes me but I know you are right. They were leading a scout troop... Not the best roll models imho

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
As far as Scout leaders I signed the front of the check for 25 years and the back of the check for about five. The vast majority were really good role models which made the worst ones look that much worse.

There are a couple churches out there that "call" leaders to service. They may or may not wish to be leaders. They may or may not participate in training.

Offline Quatro

• Diamondback
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »
My point is a half falling down wall may be historic or it may by just an old half falling down wall. Some people don't care to understand the difference.

I appreciate that you look at all sides rather than assume the worst, Jimbow.  I try to do the same. Defense attorneys like me on juries.

Unlike the scout leaders though, these guys did it between 2 and 6 a.m. under the cover of darkness. They knew it was somewhere between mischievous and dead wrong.  So I'm ready to pull out the pitchforks in this case.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - HST

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2017, 06:06:08 AM »
I'll bring the torches.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2017, 06:23:11 AM »
I hope y'all don't think I was excusing their behavior or suggesting they shouldn't be punished. Ignorance is not a defense. I see a range of possibilities based on prior instances like this.

Owners of historical buildings have been caught destroying them so they could do something more lucrative with the land. That's a nice juicy theory.

Drunks not realizing the significance of what they were destroying by knocking down some old brick walls is another. That's a boring theory.

Occam's Razor guides me to the drunk idiot theory.

Now here's a thought,  what is missing from the Bibe hardscape that we wish was still there?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:40:24 AM by Jimbow »

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »
Now here's a thought,  what is missing from the Bibe hardscape that we wish was still there? [/size][/color]

The following are all Catch-22. Build it and they will come (and mess stuff up)

The buildings of Terlingua Abaja,  Dorgan House, and other various ranch houses. I'd like to see how they lived a little more clearly

More than any of that I wish the cottonwood trees were still intact and the well still pumped at Dugout Wells

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 07:05:19 AM »
"They" will come. They (not we) will zoom past in cars to see what man made things survive for generations. It is probably part of our desire for immortality.

While I would like to see that,  hiking through the different landscapes (cottonwoods) by era would be a dream come true.

Imagine if the NPS had control of the ghost town,  better or worse?

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 07:24:03 AM »
"They" will come. They (not we) will zoom past in cars to see what man made things survive for generations. It is probably part of our desire for immortality.

While I would like to see that,  hiking through the different landscapes (cottonwoods) by era would be a dream come true.

Imagine if the NPS had control of the ghost town,  better or worse?

It's a photographer thing. We stop or turn around to photograph old cemeteries, old buildings that are barely there, etc.

Ditto the cottonwoods.

The ghost town might have ended up like Lunas Jacal (concrete roof? really?) or maybe just maintained. It depends on when they ended up with it.

Sometimes they leave things alone or to visitors to maintain. For instance,  I spent one night in "the geologist's cabin" in Death Valley a few years ago. When we arrived my friend and guide said something to the effect of "oh, they put in a much nicer latrine" or whatever he called it, as we pulled up. It was very nice. The hole was deep, the amenities were nice. It even had a solar charged, battery operated LED light that came on you opened the door. We probably spent 30 minutes trying to make a "Dr. Who" photo from this

When I got home my friend sent me a link to a DV forum. 1/2 the posts were outcries from people about how the anonymous "shi**er installers" had desecrated a great historic sight and the others pointed to the god awful pile of crap and ceramic that was at the bottom of the ravine that is to the left of the latrine in the  photo as being much worse. Personally... I was glad the new latrine was installed there. It must have been quite an undertaking to get it there. High clearance definitely required. 4WD is nice.

I don't have any outside views of the geologist's cabin. Here's a couple from inside. The ornamental wood "thing" that you see in the second image is the back of a chair. The window looks east (obviously) and I was shooting over a small table. Stone construction and floors. We had a fire every night in DV.

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
Once again,  thank you for sharing your photos. I am marveling at how you captured the cleaning swirls on the glass. What an eye and the skills to capture.

Hopefully the new shitter will be preserved for generations. Lol

I was thinking about Luna's old house. If someone owned that land I'm not certain they would have saved it, especially if they wanted to build something right there.  We tear down old buildings every day. Why do some get preserved and not others? As a society we decide what is historic and how it should be preserved. Maybe a future generation will decide that some 3D, interactive,  hologram is enough.

Too much time on my hands this morning.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:44:49 AM by Jimbow »

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
There's a line about a cheap watch in one of the Indiana Jones movies. It's worthless now, but if you bury in the desert and leave it for a few hundred years it becomes priceless.

The main thing that concerns me about the ruins being knocked over is that there could potentially be new restrictions placed on access in the Ghost Town. It's private property, and who ever owns it (Bill Ivey owns most of it I think) has been gracious enough to allow the public to enjoy it up close. That's probably going to change soon.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!