Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Highway 377 between Junction and Rocksprings, TX

• 8 Replies

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
Highway 377 between Junction and Rocksprings, TX
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:23 PM »
Just a few photos taken on the road between Rocksprings and Junction, TX. The first two are at the roadside picnic area north of Rocksprings

The South Llano river crosses the road at two locations within 1 mile of each other. There was a small group of adults and children that were putting in at the South crossing and tubing to the North crossing. Looked like fun.

There is also the South Lano River State Park just South of Junction.

Don
Fort Worth

SHANEA

Re: Highway 377 between Junction and Rocksprings, TX
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
South Llano River state park is nice - it's a nice stopping point sometimes on the way home from West Texas - especially on New Years Eve.  Although I won't be voting for Ranger "Rick" there.  It's one thing to be "strict" and everything, it's another to be "over board".  This last December 31st we were camped there.  1st - didn't like the way I had my truck parked at the end of the campsite driveway - it was on the concrete, not obstructing anything, not on the grass, etc.  Then, he had a problem with a bottle of rum sitting on the picnic table probably 100' from the road - mind you, we didn't look like New Years rebel rousers - a friend of mine with his wife and bambino and another friend.  Told me to move the bottle as it was "public display" - it was only public display if you were sitting in our camp.  I'd invited him over and he sat around the fire - didn't seem to want to talk about TPWD or BBRSP - as he was leaving he made the comment about the bottle of rum.  All we were there for was a safe nights rest instead of being on the road on New Years eve with all the drunks.

Offline Sanjuro82

• Samurai Hiker
  • Diamondback
  • Samurai Hiker
    • http://www.bigbendchat.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Man do I love the Hill Country!  Thanks for the pictures!

Offline aggiehiker

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:39:06 PM »
I, too, have had a run in with the gung-ho "Ranger Rick" at S. Llano. All the rest of the people there have been awesome! Easter 06, a group of us were there sitting at the table and drinking adult beverages of our choice out of red plastic cups-no bottles or cans in sight. He came up to the table to talk to us about a missing dog, and gave us a stern lecture about drinking in public. Made us all throw out our drinks! Course, as soon as he left, we refilled them.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »
He came up to the table to talk to us about a missing dog, and gave us a stern lecture about drinking in public. Made us all throw out our drinks! Course, as soon as he left, we refilled them.

Talk about a lame excuse to get to your campsite..... :rolling:

Great pictures Hoodooo...do you have any waypoints , btw?
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:57:07 PM »
He came up to the table to talk to us about a missing dog, and gave us a stern lecture about drinking in public. Made us all throw out our drinks! Course, as soon as he left, we refilled them.

Talk about a lame excuse to get to your campsite..... :rolling:

They're not just rangers, they are behavior police as well.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:01:01 PM »

We were staying at Guadalupe River SP one time and came back from a hike to be confronted by a ranger in our camp.  He said he was driving by and saw a wine bottle on our table so he stopped to investigate.  In addition to the unopened wine, he found some opened, empty beer cans in our trash bag and more unopened beer cans in our cooler.  He gave us a "stern" lecture about drinking in public (not in our tents) even though he had seen nothing but an unopened bottle of wine and nobody around.  We were treated like criminals for, well, nothing. 

I talked to him for a while trying to find out what his beef was.  Turns out some campers had been wiping feces all over the bathroom at the campground and he was really PO'd about it.  We were the unfortunate beneficiaries of the other camper's bad behavior.
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 02:43:38 PM »
Great pictures Hoodooo...do you have any waypoints , btw?

Hola Homero!
The old gps is always dropping little “bread crumbs” and recording my travels. Here are the coordinates of the photo locations.

Roadside picnic area:  30.2426N 99.9711W
Southern S. Llano river crossing: 30.3454N 99.9022W
Northern S. Llano river crossing: 30.3618N 99.8890W

If you want to try your luck with “Ranger Rick”, S. Llano River State Park: 30.4505N 99.8171W

Feliz Navidad
Don
Fort Worth

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
we camp at south llano river state park for a week every june. yes the rangers there are very proctective of the park and the people in it . we have violated a rule or two and been called on it. this park is also the cleanest , best maintained ,and kid safest i know of .we started going there about the same time jimmy learned to ride a bike. it is a relatively safe place to let your child ride alone ,speeding is kept to a minimum by the rangers. i've never seen anyone drunk there.it is against the rules to drink alcohol in public in state parks. just which rules are they supposed to enforce and for whom ? i know some of the rangers and park employees and thank them for their diligence.  jim2

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!