Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

mileage chart--distance between cities

• 6 Replies

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
mileage chart--distance between cities
« on: February 27, 2017, 02:32:07 PM »
Some time ago (10-15 years) the "Big Bend and Texas Mountains" travel guide used to have a page showing a ma and a chart showing distances between regional cities. Similar to the attached.

We're getting ready for our first trip out thee in 6 yrs. I might have to make one up myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the chart they can post and scan? Thanks!

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: mileage chart--distance between cities
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »
Some time ago (10-15 years) the "Big Bend and Texas Mountains" travel guide used to have a page showing a ma and a chart showing distances between regional cities. Similar to the attached.

We're getting ready for our first trip out thee in 6 yrs. I might have to make one up myself, but I'm wondering if anyone has a copy of the chart they can post and scan? Thanks!

It's not a chart, but this might do ya. It's smoothly scalable to a larger size than what initially displays.

http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/big-bend-regional-map.pdf
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
Thank you presidio.

I couldn't find the old chart I was looking for, but did root out the following which I am attaching in case they're of help to someone. Helps me  to plan the drive.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »
One odd thing I've noticed on I-10 from Junction to Ft. Stockton is that the mileage signs, Google map distances, and my odometer are off  quite a bit. Just enough to make my OCD side annoyed.

Offline blubear

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
Hmmm. Just compared and google maps distances don't agree with the distances between cities site that I looked at.  :icon_rolleyes:

But I'll be happy to jump into the first Google-mobile and let it drive me cross country by itself, you betcha'.  :dance:

Let's hope the rest areas are still all there and open. I always visit them, and tank up with gas, well in advance of need.  ;)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »
One odd thing I've noticed on I-10 from Junction to Ft. Stockton is that the mileage signs, Google map distances, and my odometer are off  quite a bit. Just enough to make my OCD side annoyed.

It's done that way to assist the troops in the black helicopters who use the stickers on the back of road signs, which contain coded messages (cleverly disguised as inventory and installation dates) conveying important invasion information.   :willynilly:

When someone is majorly OCD, they're actually CDO, if you catch my drift.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Jimbow

• Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
Finally someone has an explanation that makes sense! Thank you presidio.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Everything is in walking distance if you have enough time.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!