Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Swiss Alps of Texas

• 9 Replies

Offline entirelydave

• Kangaroo Rat
Swiss Alps of Texas
« on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
Hello BBC'ers.

Heading out to west Texas in a few days and plan to spend a couple of days hiking in BIBE. This will be my sixth visit to the park and first trying a new route there via Houston, TX.

We'll be stopping in Bandera, TX on our first night of the trip. We'll then have the opportunity to drive west through the Texas hill country on the scenic route dubbed the Swiss Alps of Texas. This path follows hwy 16 west out of Bandera to Medina, then hwy 337 west to Vanderpool, through Leaky, and finally on to Camp Wood. You can find some info on various sites speaking to the drive, but nothing better shows how beautiful this area is than some good old Google Maps "street view".

Below I've shared the route we'll be taking and the views we'll be seeing. Looking forward to this one!

Offline venchka

• Coyote
    • My LUG Gallery
Re: Swiss Alps of Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »
Good luck on your trip.
I don’t know who came up with the “Swiss Alps of Texas” line.
Having been to both places, I can’t believe the comparison.
Happy New Year!
Wayne
Wayne
“Leave me alone. I know what I'm doing. K. R.”

Offline entirelydave

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »
Haha agreed venchka. Someone was a little overzealous with the naming.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:04:54 PM »
Get ready for mayhem. Hope you've been reading up on the insane free-for-alls and filth at the NPs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline entirelydave

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:26 AM »
Get ready for mayhem. Hope you've been reading up on the insane free-for-alls and filth at the NPs.

This has been a main thought as this trip approached (planned in the fall  prior to there being a government shutdown) and my main reason for stopping by BBC was to see if anyone posted about the conditions of the park. I couldn't find a thing.

I have read about some issues at some of the more  popular and highly attended parks in the country, but didn't place those results as a fact for conditions in Big Bend. I'll soon find out, but being optimistic. We'll only be utilizing the trails for day hikes so we shouldn't be impacted to much.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:14 AM »
Good deal! Someone posted on Facebook about closures at Big Bend being listed on the Weather Channel. I haven't looked, but may be worth a gander. Hope you have a great time! Let us know...

Offline entirelydave

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
Good deal! Someone posted on Facebook about closures at Big Bend being listed on the Weather Channel. I haven't looked, but may be worth a gander. Hope you have a great time! Let us know...

Found this: https://www.austin360.com/entertainmentlife/20190102/big-bend-during-shutdown-what-you-need-to-know

Offline tx1c

• Roadrunner
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
I can't imagine why anyone would compare the Texas Hill Country to the Swiss Alps either. 

RR 337 is one of the "sisters" that make up the Three Sisters (RR's 335, 336, & 337).  It's one of the top motorcycle routes in the state.  Keep a close eye on the road and watch out for the two-wheeled vehicles (whether you like them/us or not). 

Offline Mesquito

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
I live pretty much right in the middle of the second map. We hardly consider it Alp-y, apart from the incessant yodelling.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:43 PM »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!