Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

 2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!


Which is Faster from San Antonio?

  • 55 Replies
  • 24139 Views
*

Ray52

  • Guest
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2006, 08:26:37 PM »
Not much time left for indecision.  I leave at 3 AM after a few hours sleep.  We should be in San Antonio by 8 AM for a quick visit with a buddy recovering from open heart surgery and then its time for a decision.  I like the idea that Muse says she saves 2-3 hours by going 10, but like David countered, its 40 miles shorter via 90, and for him less than a half hour longer.  Whichever we end up taking, there's absolutely no indecision about our destination and I can't wait to be there.  Good Night!

*

BigBendHiker

  • Guest
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »
Just got back from BIBE.  From our home in South Texas, we always drive to San Antonio and go from there.  Outbound from SA, we used Hwy 90; inbound, we used I-10.  The hwy 90 route seemed a bit faster...

Hwy 90 is a more scenic route and because there are small towns that you go through, it does seem to make the trip more enjoyable.  Plus, we always go over to Acuna and eat at Crosby's (always a very enjoyable experience).

I-10 is probably a safer route since it is divided highway all the way.  One downside on Hwy 90 -- if you get behind some slow moving traffic after Uvalde (and the divided highway), you had better plan on staying behind them...passing them can be difficult as there is always alot of oncoming traffic...


BBH

*

Offline roncd

  • Roadrunner
  • *
  • 52
Thanks
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2006, 09:10:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread and to Tornadoes for posting in the first place. This was a question that I also had but hadn't got around to posting it.

I'll be leaving for the park tomorrow afternoon, hopefully by 4 p.m. and if I make that, arrive in Fort Stockton around 10 p.m. for the night.

I think I'll come back Sunday via the "Stop and smell the flowers" route as I won't be in as quite a rush to get back home as I will be to get TO the park.

Look forward to meeting some of you this weekend.

Ronnie

*

Offline JohnG

  • Jack Rabbit
  • *
  • 23
speed
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2006, 10:03:48 AM »
I find I-10 faster because if we go anywhere near Del Rio I am required (by spouse) to go to Acuna for several hours.
"Para todo mal, mezcal, para todo bien, tambien"

*

BigBendHiker

  • Guest
Re: speed
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2006, 10:27:18 AM »
Quote from: "JohnG"
I find I-10 faster because if we go anywhere near Del Rio I am required (by spouse) to go to Acuna for several hours.


Hi JohnG!
I like your comment!  I can identify with that one.  Our outbound trips to BIBE are always punctuated with an overnight stay at the Best Western Villa Real in Acuna.  My wife likes to visit the shops in Acuna there on Hidalgo Street and eat at Crosby's (and I do too, come to think of it).  


BBH

*

Offline badknees

  • Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 4391
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
I 10 vs US 90
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2007, 06:29:58 PM »
I have made many runs from Houston on both the I 10 and I 10/US 90 routes. Typical trip is to leave Houston at about 9:00 PM and arrive in the Basin about 7:00 the next morning. I usually take 90 out of SA. This route is shorter than I 10 all the way and time wise very similar. I usually depart the Basin about 08:00 and arrive back in Houston about 18:00 coming back thru Ft Stockton and 1-10.

Stops are limited to gas and watering the grass. Some have remarked that the deer are bad along 90, but comparing the number of roadkills on I 10 and 90, I'd say I 10 has far more deer, especially between Kerrville and Juction.

I like the night run. Kind of peaceful. I usually take a nap in the daytime before the drive for about 6 or 7 hrs and am good for the red-eye run.

Still have to be careful and alert regardless of which route you take
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

*

BigBendHiker

  • Guest
Re: I 10 vs US 90
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
Quote from: "badknees"
I have made many runs from Houston on both the I 10 and I 10/US 90 routes. Typical trip is to leave Houston at about 9:00 PM and arrive in the Basin about 7:00 the next morning. I usually take 90 out of SA. This route is shorter than I 10 all the way and time wise very similar. I usually depart the Basin about 08:00 and arrive back in Houston about 18:00 coming back thru Ft Stockton and 1-10.

Stops are limited to gas and watering the grass. Some have remarked that the deer are bad along 90, but comparing the number of roadkills on I 10 and 90, I'd say I 10 has far more deer, especially between Kerrville and Juction.

I like the night run. Kind of peaceful. I usually take a nap in the daytime before the drive for about 6 or 7 hrs and am good for the red-eye run.

Still have to be careful and alert regardless of which route you take


Thanks for the post.  Reading it reminded me of my first trip to BIBE in 1979.  We left Victoria at about midnight on a Friday with the intent to get to the basin fairly early to secure a campsite.  There were four of us piled into a 1969 Chevy Impala that was loaded to the gills with tent, ice chest, food, etc.  Ate breakfast at a Denney's in Del Rio around 5AM and continued on and got to the Basin around 9 or 10AM.   The night drive into Del Rio was nice and peaceful, though and watching daylight come as we headed west on Hwy 90 was equally rewarding.

BBH

*

Offline stingrey

  • Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • *
  • 734
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 06:27:43 AM »
I'm trying to make the same decision re: when to leave/which way to go. I'm thinking 10, but I will be leaving for the bend @ about 2-3a.m., so maybe it doesn't matter which route I take... What is the night time speed limit on each road? 65 on 10, right? I have no idea what the limit is on 90, though. If they are about the same, it might make more sense to do 90 vs. 10 @ night. Any insight appreciated! I'm going this Friday morning, for reference! Can't wait!
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

*

Offline Casa Grande

  • Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 6217
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 07:04:43 AM »
Quote from: "stingrey"
I'm trying to make the same decision re: when to leave/which way to go. I'm thinking 10, but I will be leaving for the bend @ about 2-3a.m., so maybe it doesn't matter which route I take... What is the night time speed limit on each road? 65 on 10, right? I have no idea what the limit is on 90, though. If they are about the same, it might make more sense to do 90 vs. 10 @ night. Any insight appreciated! I'm going this Friday morning, for reference! Can't wait!


If you're traveling at night, I would try I-10, since scenery isn't an issue.  I-10 is 65 at night but when light hits, crank it up to 80 (past Kerrville)!  I believe 90 is 65 at night also but 70, maybe even 75 during the day. I10 is going to be a faster route.  I10 will also likely be a bit safer if you get stranded as your chances of getting help will likely be greater.  Watch out for the deer whichever way you decide to go.

*

Offline stingrey

  • Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • *
  • 734
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »
Took 10 out, 90 back... I believe that 10 is the best route for speed, 90 is definitely the best for scenery. Depending on what you are after, each has its definite advantages. Had a great time, will post a link to pics when they are up!
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

*

Offline presidio

  • Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
  • *
  • 3468
Which is Faster from San Antonio?
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
Quote from: "Casa Grande"
I believe 90 is 65 at night


That is correct. Also, there is no posted speed higher than 65 on any road in the state at night. Strange way of doing business. I'm not aware offhand that any other state has a limit for night operation that differs from their daytime limits.

While it makes sense to slow down in those areas where the abundance of deer make it likely you'll hit one, in west TX it doesn't serve much purpose. Like the raising of western limits to 80, they ought to do something about the 65 at night as well.
_____________
<  presidio  >
_____________
Wendell (Garret Dillahunt): It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

 


©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

 2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Powered by EzPortal

Facebook Comments