Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Way out of Big Bend

• 20 Replies

Offline Hollidaydriver

• Kangaroo Rat
Way out of Big Bend
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
After a 2-day Big Bend visit, we are leaving for San Antonio with a night stop in Sonara.
On the forum the i-10 seems the fastest way driving to Sonora, but is the 90 and up the 277 not worth driving?
Strange Question maybe, but  i'm from Europe and are speed limits in Texas (which is a Big State) often checked by the police as in Belgium? Meaning, we have rather strickt speed limits and the fines are heavy!
Thanks
  :wink:

Offline The Scorpion

• Mountain Lion
    • My Big Bend Photos
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:10:54 PM »
I-10 is faster, but the 90 to 277 should be a lot prettier. I have driven both ways and love the scenery along hwy 90, but I love how fast you can drive on I-10. just stick to the posted speed limit and you will be fine ( a few mph over should not be a problem)

they do check speed with radar but probablly not like what you are used to. its a vast empty place you are going to and its hard to patroll all of it all the time.

James
everything is better with bacon!!!

http://jamesb.smugmug.com/BigBendNationalPark/

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:12:34 PM »
Welcome Hollidaydriver,
I too would recommend Highway 90/277 for the more interesting things along the way. You can stop and stretch your legs at the Judge Roy Bean’s visitor center in Langtry.

http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Texas_ghost_towns/Langtry_Texas/Langtry_Texas.htm

If you have time you could also visit the Seminole Canyon State Park west of Comstock.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/seminole_canyon/

Also, if you are spending any time in Sonora the next day you could visit the Sonora Caverns.

http://www.cavernsofsonora.com/

I am sure there are other points of interest as well but those immediately came to mind.

Hoodoo
Don
Fort Worth

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:07:26 PM »
The US 90 route is more scenic, but there is one thing I-10's got that makes it my preferred route to and from the Bend:

That's miles per hour. According to the Internet, that's 129 kilometers per hour. And as jamesb said, it's vast, wide-open country. The rare highway patrolman (usually around Ozona) can be seen from a long way away.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Hollidaydriver

• Kangaroo Rat
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:22:59 PM »
Many thkx for your nice replies.

Est. driving time by gps and road maps from the park to Sonora, by the I-10 are about 6 hours drive?
Is that close to reality and what about the more scenic route by the hwy 90 (which I prefer)?

May I also add that this forum is a great place for looking up matters that not can be found in the "usual" tourist books.

Greetz from Belgium

Hollidaydriver

SHANEA

PRB
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
Quote from: "Hoodoo"
Welcome Hollidaydriver, I am sure there are other points of interest as well but those immediately came to mind.
Hoodoo

10-4 to those Hoodoo.

Be sure and stop at the Pecos River Bridge.

Of course, another advantage of I-10 over Hwy90 is the lack of DHS CBB checkpoint Charlie stations.  If I recall correctly, you'd stop for 2? of them.  385 leaving BIBE, going north on 277 out of Del Rio.  I can't remember if the one West of Del Rio is for East or West bound traffic.  Never the mind, I'd take Hwy90.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: PRB
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:27:29 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Quote from: "Hoodoo"
Welcome Hollidaydriver, I am sure there are other points of interest as well but those immediately came to mind.
Hoodoo

10-4 to those Hoodoo.

Be sure and stop at the Pecos River Bridge.

Of course, another advantage of I-10 over Hwy90 is the lack of DHS CBB checkpoint Charlie stations.  If I recall correctly, you'd stop for 2? of them.  385 leaving BIBE, going north on 277 out of Del Rio.  I can't remember if the one West of Del Rio is for East or West bound traffic.  Never the mind, I'd take Hwy90.

The one East of Del Rio is for eastbound traffic, and the one West of Del Rio is for westbound traffic.

Lots of truck traffic (ex Mexico) moving eastbound from Del Rio
Not all those who wander are lost.
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:01:36 AM »
Holidaydriver - if your not a US Citizen be aware that you will have to stop at immigration checkpoint(s) coming back from the Park and they will ask you about your citizenship etc..   In other words it might be a good idea to have your passport ready and DO NOT cross into Mexico along the River.  It's easy to get across but if you get caught coming back it could be very expensive $$ and a lot of extra trouble.    I don't think you are required to have your passport at the checkpoints but it might make things faster and simplier.
If you take the I-10 route (which I recommend) you will only stop at one checkpoint slightly south of Marathon.  If you take the Hwy 90 route I think you will stop at 2 of them?
I would take the faster I-10 route and get to Sonora in time for a Cave Trip.   You can't drive as fast on Hwy 90 as you can on I-10 and I think I-10 is safer (esp. at night) as a primary danger out there is deer standing on the road or running in front of your car going 85 mph.   Ka-Pow is the sound the deer makes as it comes through your front windshield! ... TWWG

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »
Quote from: "Hollidaydriver"
After a 2-day Big Bend visit, we are leaving for San Antonio with a night stop in Sonara.
On the forum the i-10 seems the fastest way driving to Sonora, but is the 90 and up the 277 not worth driving?
Strange Question maybe, but  i'm from Europe and are speed limits in Texas (which is a Big State) often checked by the police as in Belgium? Meaning, we have rather strickt speed limits and the fines are heavy!
Thanks
  :wink:

Reality -

San Antonio via Hwy 90 (depending on where in SA) - to the Basin
415 miles - 7:37 minutes - Avg speed 54 mph
This was done at night with stops for gas and drive-thru food in Del Rio

The Basin to San Antonio via I-10
457 miles - 6:58 minutes - Avg speed 65 mph
This was done in the daytime with stops for gas in Junction
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Hollidaydriver

• Kangaroo Rat
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »
Ok. :idea:

I was a little bit confused about what Shanea wrote about DHS CBB checkpoint Charlie stations.

If I understand correctly it's a border patrol checkpoint (like in Three Burials with TL Jones).
No problem with that, because to visit to the USA from Europe,you're checked more than a few times.
Is it a full check of the car or only the persons?

The only animals that we hit on the road in Belgium are rats, rabbits, frogs.
So no thank you for the Ka-Pow sound of the deer!

Hollidaydriver

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »
Ok. :idea:

Is it a full check of the car or only the persons?

Hollidaydriver

Typical check is usually limited to 1 or 2 questions.... "Are you an American citizen?,  and have you been in Mexico?" In your case they may or may not ask you for some ID when you answer no to the first one. I would suggest you avoid going to Mexico if possible because that makes question #2 more complicated.

DO NOT CROSS INTO MEXICO ANYWHERE EXCEPT A LEGAL CROSSING

I would carry your passport and landing card

Unless there is some suspicion on the part of the Border Patrol agent at the checkpoint, searches are not typical.

Time at the checkpoint should be about 30 seconds
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:45 AM »
Est. driving time by gps and road maps from the park to Sonora, by the I-10 are about 6 hours drive?
Is that close to reality and what about the more scenic route by the hwy 90 (which I prefer)?

http://local.live.com/ says it's 267.5 miles from Panther Junction to Sonora via Fort Stockton and I-10.  It takes about 75 minutes to get to Marathon (remember the speed limit is 45mph in the park), then another 45 or so to get to Fort Stockton.  Sonora is about two hours or so from there so you're looking at 4 to 4.5 hours.  Going on 90 adds a bit more distance, especially if you go all the way to Del Rio.  I've only taken 90 once, and that was coming from San Antonio.  I'd guess it'd take close to 2.5 hours to get to Dryden from Panther Junction, then another 2 to 2.5 hours to Sonora if you head North on SR349/RR1217 up to I-10.  If you continue on to Del Rio, it's about 90 minutes from Dryden.  Sonora from Del Rio is another 80-90 minutes.

Of course, these times don't include any stops.  If you go 90, visiting the Jersey Lilly (Judge Roy Bean's bar) in Langtry is recommended.

As far as highway patrol goes, the state troopers used to hang out just outside of Sonora, so mind your speed coming into town.  Got a ticket there back in 2000 on the way to the park.  He didn't buy my excuse that we were trying to get to Fort Stockton for lunch at Sarah's Cafe before they closed.  Unfortunately, I think they're closed for good now. :(

SHANEA

Unless
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
Quote from: "badknees"
Time at the checkpoint should be about 30 seconds

Unless you are with Randell and ShaneA and they keep wanting to know why you are going home to Houston viai. Del Rio and Junction.   The DHS CBP agent just could not understand the "sightseeing" concept of it that we'd never been that route before.  Finally let us go, but we were "badgered" about it.  No search, no document check, etc.  

When on I-10 East of San Antonio, be sure and stop and Buckees for some great beef Jerky and the cleanest public restrooms I've ever seen.  Great BBQ place in Junction too on the north side of I-10, don't recall the name - I'll ping Randelll...  

Speaking of Buckees, someone needs to build one on 59 between Houston and Nacogdoches and another one on I-20 between Tyler and Dallas.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
Way out of Big Bend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:50 PM »
You guys probably have the "I'm doing something wrong" look
– J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Unless
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 02:01:51 PM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
When on I-10 East of San Antonio, be sure and stop and Buckees for some great beef Jerky and the cleanest public restrooms I've ever seen.  Great BBQ place in Junction too on the north side of I-10, don't recall the name - I'll ping Randelll...

Or you could just check your trip report to refresh your memory. :roll:
Quote from: "randell"
Coopers BBQ is the place in Junction.

While you're in Sonora, check out Lacayo's Cajuns of New Orleans restaurant recommended by 10ftTall&BulletPrf (assuming they're still in business and haven't moved back to Louisiana).

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!