Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Which is Faster from San Antonio?

• 55 Replies

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 06:24:59 AM »
Quote from: "Undertaker"
I-10 will beat 90 every time, it's vacation, enjoy either.  

well said!  And I can only add this, You're going to wind up in BIBE!

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 09:51:21 AM »
Quote from: "Vince T"
You can break off near Sheffield and head towards Sanderson...that's actuall one of my favorite routes. There is an AMAZING rest area just south of Bakersfield on a majestic hill.

Back when I was a kid my dad took me out to the BBNP on a regular basis. This was in the 60's before IH10 was complete. I always remember stopping at that rest area on the old 290. It was just before you entered the Pecos River valley above Ft. Lancaster. We always left very early in the morning and arrived at the rest stop close to lunch. I  marked it as the "half-way" point to the park. The other thing I remember is that as you are driving on a high plateau you have no sense of your elevation until you get to the crest of the plateau and then everything opens up before you in the valley below. It's a great view.

Last week I was in Ft. Stockton for a few days staying at the Indian Lodge. Went out via IH10 and came back via 90. I had not been on 90 in a long, long time. There was very little traffic and we made excellent time. While I didn't time it I would suspect it was David says only maybe 20 minutes difference. The Texas Sage was in bloom around Del Rio and the hillsides were solid purple.

But from Del Rio to Marathon there isn't much of anything which is what I remember. When we used to go this way you had to be full on gas in Del Rio if you were driving late because nothing was open from there to the park.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 09:59:30 AM »
David, I bet when the time comes and anyone on this board is on way to grave, they will be saying wait a minute can you pull over, stop here, lets visit the view, what about Law west of Pecos, can we stop at BIBB.

Nope lets just rush through life, life is always to short, always, always, always stop and smell the flowers. Try somthing different, go somewhere you have not been, visit your favorite places (BB), visit folks you know, or sit on porch and visit folks you don't know, make new friends, life passes faster as you get older, it speeds up in a headlong race to the grave.  You can rest when you die.   :shock:  8)

SMELL THE FLOWERS!!!!!  REST WHEN YOU DIE!!!!
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

SHANEA

Reminds Me
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 10:41:52 AM »
they will be saying wait a minute can you pull over, stop here, lets visit the view, what about Law west of Pecos, can we stop at BIBB.

Reminds me of the 1st time I went with a group out towards BIBE - my first trip - I wanted to stop everywhere.  The group relented some and we stopped at Bracketville to see the fake Alamo, etc.  I've always "intended" to stop at the Ally Oop park in Irann, but I'm always in a hurry coming or going - the horse has already seen the barn at that point in time.  I was driving one time going down 90 and decided we needed to stop and see the Judge.  My hiking buddy just about fell out that we were stopping there.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 10:51:18 AM »
Bet he has taken other people there now!!!

SHANEA

Not on your life.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:27 AM »
Bet he has taken other people there now!!!

No way.  He still is a pedal to the metal white knuckle driver.  He won't even stop at the Pecos River Bridge to see it again.  If I'm on Hwy 90, I always stop to see the river....

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 11:00:42 AM »
Quote from: "Robert"
[But from Del Rio to Marathon there isn't much of anything which is what I remember.

There are actually a few interesting spots along the way - at least I find them interesting.
I almost always stop at the Pecos bridge overlook.
When I'm by myself or not afraid to be too embarassed, I give a few loud shouts and enjoy the echos.

West of there a bit there is a drainage called Eagles Nest that is a really neat spot.  Pull over and romp through there sometime.  Careful though...if you stop there you'll see what I mean.

In Sanderson there is a hotel on the north side of 90 that I promise is worth a stop.  It's the Outback Oasis Motel.  They have a great collection of desert snakes that you can enjoy for free.  I'm not into snakes, really, but the collection is very interesting.  They don't advertise their collection, so you will likely be the only one in there.
http://www.outbackoasismotel.com/outback/index.html

Just some thoughts-

Vince

Ray52

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 12:55:03 PM »
Great thread :!:   I'm leaving in less than 72 hours now and will have a decision to make about 6 hours into my drive.  I lean toward Old 90 as I enjoyed the drive from Castroville to Marathon immensely on my previous trip.  The curious part of me wants to travel 10 for a comparison, but I'm also taking 2 friends who I think will enjoy the sights along 90 as well as I do.  Didn't Robert Frost once write a poem about such choices?

Offline Undertaker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 01:38:48 PM »
Ray, if first time for friends recommend 90, you can always try 10 on way home.  8)

Pecos overlook and Langtry

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 03:57:39 PM »
Ray, if first time for friends recommend 90, you can always try 10 on way home.  8)

Pecos overlook and Langtry

I agree completely -

Just one last thing I might suggest.  If you can avoid Del Rio around 5pm, you'll be glad you did.  There are about 20 lights you have to go through to get through town...that's the only bad part on the whole trip...at least it gets to me.  There was also construction on 90 east of town last time I was there - near Laughlin AFB.  

Gas is cheap at that HEB on the corner (when 90 turns 90 degress in the heart of town), if you are looking for an upside.  

Definitely don't want to talk you out of 90.  It's a great drive...even if you don't see "anything" for an hour or three.

Vince

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 05:04:16 PM »
Quote from: "Vince T"

Gas is cheap at that HEB on the corner (when 90 turns 90 degress in the heart of town), if you are looking for an upside.  

heh, I have a story about that....

Six years ago, myself, my brother Kenny, and my buddy Grant take the long way to Big Bend because of an ice storm in the Midland/Odessa area.  We normally head out of Dallas on I-20 and go that way.  We wanted to avoid the ice, so we headed south in I-35, then got on 90 in SA.

We knew we'd better get gas in Del Rio, so we stopped and filled up.  My brother being the low man on the totem pole was selected to fill Grant's Jeep up (it was freezing cold).
So we get back on the road and almost immediately Kenny informs us he forgot to put the gas cap back in place.  So we turn around and go back looking for it.  We found in in the middle of the street right outside the station.  Kenny gets out, picks it up and puts it back on the Jeep.  We turn around again and somehow miss the turn to stay on 90.  Oblivious to this fact, we suddenly find ourselves on a bridge.....then... what?...we have to pay a toll???  that sign says ALTO??? huh??  DOH!

That's the story of my five minute visit to Acuna at two in the morning.
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 05:18:56 PM »
:D  Now that was funny.
I have been down that road too...much prefer the "right" way!
Vince

SHANEA

I Don't Know...
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 05:20:39 PM »
Quote from: "Ray52"
The curious part of me wants to travel 10

I think there is lots of neat stuff to see on I-10 also - including all the windfarms.  I swear, those windmills are like coat hangers and rabbits...

SHANEA

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 05:23:11 PM »
Quote from: "bdann"
Oblivious to this fact, we suddenly find ourselves on a bridge.....then... what?...we have to pay a toll???  that sign says ALTO??? huh??  DOH!

That's the story of my five minute visit to Acuna at two in the morning.

Oops, hit the reverse or do an illegal u-turn or something, there are probably a lot of misc. shells rolling around all over the place in my vehicle that I wouldn't want to try to cross the border with....

Ray52

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 09:24:23 PM »
I think an entry via 90 and return by IH10 might be in order.  The first time I crossed the Pecos bridge in february 06 (totally unexpected) a fierce coldfront was moving through and the temps were in the high 20's.  On my return it was too dark so I think it will make a good stop for photos and switching drivers on this trip.  I nearly always travel solo and love to rubberneck so it will be a pleasant chance to do so without worrying about driving off the road. Besides the Pecos bridge i also found Eagle's Nest, Langtry and the miles of nothing between Amistad and Marathon to be fascinating.  Our goal will be to set camp in the basin before dark and hike to the Window for sunset.  I'm not above a little kitsch either so I do want to see the giant roadrunner and the windmills too.... Is there ever enough time???

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!