Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

which route from Austin to BiBe?

• 31 Replies

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 09:41:38 PM »
For whatever it's worth, I take 290 west to I-10 to 385. It takes me right at about 7 3/4 hours to reach Panther Junction, but I drive pretty close to the speed limit (which is 80 on I-10). Not very scenic, but it's fast. The worst parts are Oak Hill and F-burg. The rest of it is easy.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

chisos_muse

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
Believe me, I-10 is the way to go for speed. Casa Grande and I will tell you from great experience that if you want to get to Big Bend right quick, Loop 1604 to Hwy. 90 would not be the way.... Avoid SA at all costs if you're trying to save time. Mind you, 90 is more scenic, but also worth making stops along the way, which is not time saving either. If you have good company and good CD's/Satellite Radio, I-10 is a hop, skip and a jump....

Offline West Egg

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
I think you should definitely be able to make the drive inside of 10 hours.  In my experience, the modified #2 route takes about 4.5 hours from downtown Del Rio to downtown Austin (due in no small part to all the stoplights on 290 southwest of Austin).  Marathon's "only" about 175 miles from DR, and the speed limit is 75 mph just about the entire way from the Highway 90 bridge over Lake Amistad all the way to Marathon, so . . . about 2.5 hours on that leg.  Then you've just got the 70 miles to PJ.

Just remember that there aren't any gas stations to speak of on the 120-mile stretch between DR and Sanderson.

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:38 PM »
Just leave early enough to avoid rush hour in Austin, and stay out of San Antonio (I don't care what Mapquest says, they've never sat in traffic at those interchanges).  You've got plenty of time whichever route you take.
I also checked DOT and there doesn't seem to be any major construction to worry about.

Offline westtex

• Diamondback
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
I have had a couple of girlfriends that have lived in Austin and have made the trip between Alpine and Austin 50+ times.

The fastest way is clearly 290 to I-10.
Other possibilities that have not been mentioned include:

Heading out 290 then going south from Fredericksburg to Kerrville, then winding through the hillcountry from Leakey to Concan to Highway 90 in Uvalde.

A route that is seldom traveled from Austin is going up 71 to Llano and then down 190 until you meet up with I-10 between Ozona and Ft. Stockton. -this is my personal favorite because it usually includes a stop at Cooper's Bar-B-Q in Llano.

Also 290 turns south of I-10 around Sheffield and goes to Sanderson.

There are at least a dozen other ways to vary your route includeing going through Luckenbach or other small towns on FM roads.
resist much, obey little

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
ok -- wife gets the tiebreaker & it'll be 290-to-10-to-385.

I would've picked this too, in the end.  Sounds like 90 deserves more attention than a pell-mell drive-thru; so we'll take it back home to Virginia on some future BB trip.

can't go home that way this time, though.  it's got to be 3 days:  BB to Dallas, Dallas to Nashville, Nashville to Linden.  Yawn.  Just about nothing worse than driving I40 through the entire horizontal stretch of Tennessee.  Two lanes, constant construction, tractor-trailers with attached 2nd trailers barrelling next to you & the jersey walls at 90mph, always seems to be raining...yechh.

Thanks for all the input, everybody.
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

SHANEA

Long Ways...
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
Quote from: "trtlrock"
BTW Shane -- I didn't get that far north...but if I never go through Conroe, TX again it'll be too soon for me.  What a traffic disaster that place is!  Took us 20+ minutes to go 100yds!  AARGH!

I'm a long ways from Conroe - fortunately.  Deep east Texas - not far from Louisiana.  Behind the Pine Curtain.  Piney Woods - or whatever the Chamber of Commerce decided to change it too - lotta good it did with me...

SHANEA

Road Construction...
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »
I seem to recall reading lately that 290 over around Del Rio and other places has a lot of road construction.  If you gotta be  there by 4pm, then leave at 4am to leave time to change a tire, etc.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »
In Fort Stockton the turn onto 385 can easily be missed.  Just look for the building with the porthole windows and turn left just before it.

Al

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 10:59:33 PM »
Quote from: "trtlrock"
Just about nothing worse than driving I40 through the entire horizontal stretch of Tennessee.

There's a mileage sign east bound on I10 a little outside El Paso that reads "San Antonio 548 mi".  That's downright discouraging.

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »
In Fort Stockton the turn onto 385 can easily be missed.

As I recall, it's the street next to the Dollar General, but any of the north-south streets will hit it for a few blocks beyond the actual turn.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

SHANEA

Just
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »
Quote from: "Al"
In Fort Stockton the turn onto 385 can easily be missed.  Just look for the building with the porthole windows and turn left just before it.

Al

I can almost never get through Fort Stockton w/o getting lost - I just point the Avalanche in the general direction south, hit the rail road tracks, and finally work my way to the right road.  All roads eventually lead to Big Bend.  Of course, you'd never know it, as everything seems to lead to San Angelo....Must be a brazillion ways to get to San Angelo.

BTW - the Vallero station in Fort Stockton on the main drag just down from Wally World generally always has the best petro prices - much cheaper than the interstate....  Never figured out why they changed the name from Diamond Shamrock to Vallero.  Companies love to spend tons of money redoing signs, etc.  Diamond Shamrock had curb appeal.

Offline jimbob

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »
Route 1 is definitely the direct way to go.  The others are great routes if you are not in a hurry or just exploring. When I go to Big Bend, it is always about getting there.  On the other hand, there are many great ways home.  I think that's the more interesting question.

My favorite is 90 east from Marathon to Sanderson (58 miles), north on 285 (16 miles) to 2400 (39 miles) to 349 and north to Sheffield (11 miles).  From there take US 290 (22 miles) to IH 10 about 22 miles west of Ozona.

Offline Vince T

• Black Bear
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »
I am way late on this post...but I've taken about 15 different routes to the park from SA and Austin (yes...there are that many when you throw in some good (and not so good) county roads.

Austin to SA...through downtown to 90 is a good route...but so is 290, to IH 10 cutting off anywhere to get to Marathon.

There is an entire string on this topic somewhere else...but bottom line is...
It's all good.

Have a great and safe trip.  

Vince

P.S.  I was recently in "The Commonwealth"...had a great day at Manassas Battlefield.

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 10:48:38 AM »
wow :o

Manassas is about 1/2 hour from Linden...

the battlefield is great, but the rest of Manassas is a hellhole :)
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!