Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Who Wants to Go With Me.

• 3 Replies

SHANEA

Who Wants to Go With Me.
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
I want to go to the Northern reaches of Canada during the dead of winter to see the Northern Lights.  Then, I want to hop over to Russia and do the Trans Siberian Railroad from St. Petersburg all the way to Vladivostok in the dead of winter - with a stop off in Mongolia. .  In order to pay for these expensive vacations, I'm going to setup a website and ask for "donations" to my cause.  I'll send you a trip report and pictures.   :P
Who wants to go with me :?:

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
Who Wants to Go With Me.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
Vladivostok?  Is that near the South Rim?
There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Boojum1

• Diamondback
Who Wants to Go With Me.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:34 PM »
Its rather cold, but the Northern Lights are truely awesome (and I don't use that word, er, lightly).  Its frequently cloudy in that part of the world in winter though...plan on a prolonged stay.  I saw them from central Sask. in late August (all night long, what a show!) and again from the air flying into Anchorage from the Bering Sea.  Something for a life list, for sure.

I agree with randall, just divy up the donations a bit.  I'll take 2 tanks of gas to get to/from BB, thank you.
Pithy quote free for years

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Who Wants to Go With Me.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:28:21 PM »
A buddy of mine is a consultant to the Mongolian national legislature -- yes, they have a government! -- so we'd have a place to stay.

It's kinda cold there this time of year, but if you're looking for work, they have a current opening for a marmot researcher, something that would be up most our alleys. Might help to defray the cost of the trip.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!