Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Favorite Memory/Place?

• 12 Replies

Offline ans015

• Jack Rabbit
Favorite Memory/Place?
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:32 AM »
Its been 7 months since iv been to Big Bend and I don't see myself going again for at least another 7 months. I've been thinking about it a lot (pulling out maps and pictures) and reminiscing. Does anyone have a favorite place or memory about Big Bend you would like to share? What do you think of when you think about Big Bend? Help me cure my Big Bend Blues!!!

I love thinking about sitting with my wife to watch the sunrise over the Sierra del Carmen every morning, and late night soaks in the hot springs under a full moon and blanket of stars. I love the view from the Lost Mine Trail and from the Rio Grande Village Nature Trail(especially at Sunset). But most of all I think of the adventures I havnt had and the places I havnt been to. On my next trip I want to hike to the top of Emory peak and to south rim.     

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Favorite Memory/Place?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
Sunrise, from the NE Rim.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
Good subject!  Here are two threads that will conjure up a lot of ideas, memories.

What's the Big Deal?

What is your Most Amazing Moment in Big Bend?

and of course:

Where Am I?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline mr.bean5150

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
Favorite memory was the first sit down on the porch where I had my first Lone Star. The view and the conversations where unlike anything I have ever experienced. That leads to my favorite place because after that first visit to the porch I bought property in the Solitario area and standing out there with a 360 view and the true feeling of being alone can not be compared......
"Do or Do Not, There Is No Try"
                                  "Yoda"

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
Favorite Memory/Place?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
Reaching Randell's Overlook with my wife at the very end of our most recent visit to the park...

Video of the moment:

https://goo.gl/photos/FjT4jqg8JXjLe7jh9

Offline ans015

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
Seeing all you guys's experiences makes me want to go out and find new amazing places in Big Bend

Offline Hang10er

• Black Bear
  • "Do what you want before it's too late"
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 03:58:53 PM »
Favorite part of Big Bend was sharing it with my teenage son and realizing he was just as amazed as I was.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:25:29 PM »
^^^  :great:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:47:18 PM by RichardM »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline jw1794

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:27 PM »
My favorite trip was in 2004 with my dad, granddad, mom, and sister. We all went hiking to the window (my first time to bibe) and my grandfather and I got ahead of the group. Around a corner on the trail we hear something big that was making a terrible racket in the brush while huffing and growling. We froze in our tracks, but it heard us before we even heard it. It went silent around the bend and we never heard another noise. We finally summoned up the courage to go around the corner, but never saw what gave us such a scare. That same trip my dad and grandfather convinced me to see how high up a sand dune I could climb. I got about 2/3 up before I just was basically on a sand stair master. So I yelled down that I was coming down and proceeded to see just how fast I could run down that sand dune. I discovered that I could run too fast down that sand dune and proceeded to tumble head over heels down it. My dad laughed so loud and so hard, I can vividly remember hearing it as I was tumbling. I rolled to a stop near the bottom resembling a sugar cookie, and was forced to ride in the bed of the pickup on the way back to the camper where I could take a loooong shower. Great memories that mean the world to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Cisco Kid

• Kangaroo Rat
  • If it ain't true, it oughtta be !
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »
"The Quiet"
At first it is deathly quiet, then you actually start to listen, the wind through the brush, scampering of some unseen varmint, wing of a bird flapping, and the bugs buzzing around and actually hearing those giant ants moving sand bits around their mounds.
if it works don't fix it

Offline randell

• Coyote
  • Mountain Lion
  • Purveyor of Fine Hats
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 09:06:35 PM »
While Randell's overlook is one of my fav's, watching the sun set on the SW rim with my son 12 years after I proposed to his mother on the same spot was something special.

There's nothing like a good quest to get you intimate with a place. - Tom Clynes

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »

"The Quiet"
At first it is deathly quiet, then you actually start to listen, the wind through the brush, scampering of some unseen varmint, wing of a bird flapping, and the bugs buzzing around and actually hearing those giant ants moving sand bits around their mounds.

Man, I agree with this one.  I spent a night at Elephant Tusk campsite and didn't hear even a rustle for the entire night.  Not even a slight breeze came through.  I thought that kind of silence would be unsettling in the middle of the vast desert, but instead I found it oddly comforting.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline kerriM

• Roadrunner
  • KG5INA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
First trip to Big Bend with my kids...I took my '68 Bronco and the kids were sitting in their carseats jerry-rigged to the bucket seat in the back. My husband was concerned that the kids  were too hot and the road was too rough, bla bla, bla. I was driving towards Mariscal Mine and he told me to slow down a bit but the kids yelled for me to drive faster then we hit wash out and yea....after that their hands were in the air like it was a roller coaster and they were squealing with pure joy. I think I had a spaghetti western soundtrack playing. Best ever.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!