Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Low Flying Jet?

• 30 Replies

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: Low Flying Jet?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
This was really tiny in my image, so small at first I thought I had dust on my sensor, but here is a crop of the section to show what I saw.  I really think this was a border patrol drone, but I am open to other ideas ....

Clearly, that is an alien spacecraft. You don't think all those Terlingua residents are humanoid, do you?

As to the low-flying jet. Very likely could be US Customs.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline Lechuguilla

• Bewbie
  • Kangaroo Rat
  • Pretty and Sharp
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
It's Lajitas. I know of one guy who was a member there who used to fly his jet incredibly low. Lajitas jets fly too low over my house every day.
Don't forget to wipe and stay off the pipe!

Offline mediopelo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
In years past I have seen a U. S. Customs twin-engine small jet like the one described here many times flying low over the park. Also B1 and B51 bombers flying very low from west to east not far north of Persimmon Gap.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I saw a black INS helicopter skipping through the dew last Saturday. I was at the Mariscal Mine, standing next to the first condenser, and I heard what I thought was a light aircraft coming. I pulled out my little video camera and managed to get a video of it flying by. Unfortunately I shut it off just before it pulled up, turned around, and flew straight at me. It flew by, obviously checking me out, probably a hot chick flying :-) , and then flew on to the east. I could hear it going down the river as I walked back to my truck. I'll try to put the video on tube tonight and put a link here.

Offline Undertaker

• Ham Radio: KD5YA 1999 Ford F-350 4X4 Diesel 150 Galllons Home: Richmond, Texas
  • Mountain Lion
  • Cooking BBQ for Trail Rides and Contest
    • http://www.GodboldAppraisals.Com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 04:37:11 PM »
Was parked outside of La Kiva a couple years ago :rolling: :rolling:
Visiting BB since 1966, nothing like being lost and finding heaven.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
I got to do that a couple of times. Once I got to sit in the right seat while we were zipping along in the jet stream. Even though I have a pilots license and the chief pilot said I could "fly" I chose not to touch anything. The Lear 25 aint' no C182.

On the same trip we flew from Denver to Carlsbad, NM, to Oklahoma City, OK and back to Denver. It was just me and the pilots on the way to Denver. I watched them shoot an ILS to minimums in blowing snow... It was amazing. Max performance takeoff can't be described but it's a heck of a ride  :icon_lol: I will always remember the chief pilot handling the radio in the right seat and the other pilot's conversation. The tower kept trying to get them to lower their altitude on the approach. The pilot in command said "they've asked us to change altitude twice. What do you think?" the chief pilot said "f'em (no abbreviation), they ain't flying this thing and there are two radio towers out here somewhere that we are above right now" he then got on the radio and politely told them that he was going to maintain present altitude until clear of the area of the radio towers. That's how you become an old pilot...

I've seen them several times at Grapevine Hills.  They were fly from west to east and looked like low flying lear jets to me..

+1

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
I've seen them several times at Grapevine Hills. They were fly from west to east and looked like low flying lear jets to me..

I thought about it being a lear at first, but three things bothered me about that thought. One, I was pretty darn close to it and heard nothing at all. Two, the fuselage seemed too long and narrow, and I didn't see any windows. Three, it sured seemed mighty close to the ground and the hills to be a civilian craft. My next thought was if it might be a drone being used by the Border Patrol.

I can see it being one of these painted a dark color.

My son and I while gazing from the South Rim last week, saw a small low-flying plane coming in from the west, over the Sierra Quemada, heading for Elephant Tusk. He was low enough, I thought the plane would pass behind Elephant Tusk, but in fact it passed in front of it, and from our vantage point, the plane appeared to be lower than the top of Elephant Tusk. It swung gracefully around the peak and headed southward toward the River, where we lost sight of it. It looked like a lightweight, mid-wing, prop plane with a V-tail. Now you have me wondering if it might have been a drone instead.  :eusa_think:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:45:45 AM by Flash »

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Low Flying Jet?
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »
That's a cool story!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »
Imagine hiking up and over a hill from camp while zone camping near Elephant Tusk (one of the most remote areas in the USA), having just dug a sufficient cat hole, squatting down and relaxing with Ziplock bag and TP at hand to then look up and see one of those things.  Talk about eliminating one's sense of remoteness!*

Al

* No pun intended . . .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:07:58 AM by Al »

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 09:30:52 AM »
Ha!  :icon_lol:

Later, on the Southwest Rim, we saw a Beachcraft, Cessna, or whatever do a flyover of the Rim, what I guessed to be "the Park plane".  :icon_cool:

Offline BBNewb

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
I caught this Air Force lear jet at Grapevine Hills when I was there in July.  It was close enough that I could read the tail numbers from the photo.  It was going west to east and made 2 passes or there were 2 of them (only got picts on the second pass).

https://picasaweb.google.com/watjepeter/BigBendNPJuly152011#5636861681786276642

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 05:12:51 PM »

Offline TxAg93

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
Stingrey and I saw a two flight of T-1A Jayhawks playing follow the leader while flying under 1000' AGL outside of Sanderson on our way back to San Antonio on August 17.  Couldn't make out the base tail-letters but they were probably out of Laughlin AFB.

Offline DerrickB

• Roadrunner
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
Buddy and I got buzzed by a super cool B1 in December.  Pretty sweet action!!

Offline tusker

• Coyote
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
A friend just jogged my memory with pictures of F18s that buzzed him yesterday in Death Valley.

Thirty years ago, he and I had arrived in the BiBe late one afternoon and decided to walk down to the Chimneys to sleep.  We climbed up on the shelf on the west end of Kit Mountain about dark and camped there.   Next morning we summited Kit to shake off a whiskey daze.  Just as we scrambled over the edge onto the top, two military trainers of some sort blew directly over us from the west at very low altitude and scared the daylights out of us.  We never heard or saw them coming until we felt our teeth rattle.  Instant hangover cure.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!