Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Banta Shutin - April 25, 2018

• 10 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Banta Shutin - April 25, 2018
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:07:37 PM »
On April 25th, I hiked from K-Bar 2 to Banta Shutin on Tornillo Creek via Estufa Canyon, which was a 17. 5 mile round trip taking a total of 9-1/2 hours.  On this particular Wednesday, a cool front blew through, which made the hike pretty pleasant, however it was still warm enough that I tended to hike the shadier side of the canyon each way.

I passed the location of Estufa Spring on the way. The area was thick with trees and lush vegetation below the pour-off. I descended the pour-off and looked  around. It is possible I missed it, but saw no surface water.

First sight of water as I entered Banta Shutin from the south. Note the dry pool in the foreground and the high water mark on the far side.

View of the dry pool from the opposite side.

I counted 4 pools total: Lower, Baby, Middle and Upper. Here we see the Lower pool on the left, the Baby pool in the center, and the Middle pool on the right.

The Baby pool had water visibly seeping into it down the rock face above through fissures.

Amazing spot and incredible terrain! The Middle pool wraps around a rocky point making it somewhat L-shaped and a bit tricky to hike around.

Middle pool looking back.

Had to watch myself as I worked along the right side to make sure I did not end up sliding into the water. I used my beginner rock climbing moves and was happy to make it past. That is the Upper pool peeking out up ahead.

Enjoying the combination of shade and cool breeze throwing ripples on the water of the Upper pool. Here I dipped out one liter of water to augment my supply for the uphill return hike.

Upper pool looking downstream.

The black rock layer began to appear about 200 yards up the narrow canyon above the Upper pool.

Emerging from the black rock section. Up ahead the direction of Tornillo Creek turns from northwest to northeast.

Looking to the northeast from the middle of the big turn. I cannot say if there was any water in the creek above this point, although aerial photos indicate a wet section can at times exist about 1/4 mile above this point.

Middle pool looking downstream from the opposite side from the earlier photos.

Overall, the persistent water level was approx. 18-24 inches higher than what is seen here in the Middle pool.

Overall, a splendid hike. I may do it again sometime from another direction.

- Flash

PS - Thanks to all who gave me input in the Question on Banta Shutin thread.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:52:04 AM by Flash »

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
Re: Banta Shutin - April 25, 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »
Thanks for the photos. Looks like a nice hike.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
What a cool place. I'm glad you had decent temps for a 17 mile walk !

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »
Bad ass hike and bad ass pictures! What a great day! Thanks for the pictures, you captured some cool shots that day.
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
Nice documentation Flash. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Note 8 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »
Nice!

It REALLY needs to rain soon......
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 10:44:28 PM »
Great photos, Flash. They really illustrate what a beautiful - and daunting - hike that is. 17.5 miles in one day, over this kind of terrain, wading and climbing, is a serious, serious day of hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:06:00 PM »
Great photos, Flash. They really illustrate what a beautiful - and daunting - hike that is. 17.5 miles in one day, over this kind of terrain, wading and climbing, is a serious, serious day of hiking.

Thanks. I feel pretty pumped that I pulled it off. I found it less difficult than day hiking, for example, the South Rim. Walking Estufa and Tornillo is a steady grade and the coarser gravel is pretty firm to walk on. I ended up carrying my hiking poles, finding they were not needed. Estufa Canyon had shade often enough, both ways, for taking breaks. Only needed the cairns on the way back.

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Diamondback
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 10:52:44 PM »

Great day hike and excellent documentation of the shut-in.

First sight of water as I entered Banta Shutin from the south. Note the dry pool in the foreground and the high water mark on the far side.

For comparison, your dry, lower, and baby pools were all one pool in December. Here's a photo I took from nearly the same spot as yours but didn't put in my report.

I guess you could say the lower pool gave birth to the baby (I kill myself sometimes).

The middle and upper pools were also about a foot higher in December.
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
Were there any signs of migratory traffic when you were there?
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 03:27:47 PM »
Were there any signs of migratory traffic when you were there?
An old wadded up pair of boxer shorts and an empty Gatorade bottle were all I spotted.  Lots of nooks and crannies to hole up and stay out of sight.  No recent human tracks.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!