Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boot Spring report as of April 29, 2017

• 12 Replies

Offline Jonathan Sadow

• Coyote
Boot Spring report as of April 29, 2017
« on: May 03, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
I recently completed a trip to Big Bend National Park and checked out Boot Spring while hiking in the Chisos.  There's nothing to report.  Boot Spring is bone dry.  In fact, I could find only one pool of water in the entire canyon, in the upper part about halfway between the segments of the Rim trails, and that's being used extensively by the deer and bear.  I also heard secondhand that Fresno Spring is running on the Dodson Trail, but I don't know about the other ones on that trail.

I'll post a trip report in the near future with more details, including a clarification on the solo hiker program and why ultralight/minimalist backpacking eventually will become harder to do in the park.

Offline TXbywayofMS

• Jack Rabbit
Re: Boot Spring report as of April 29, 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:09:32 PM »
Ill back him up on this, I was in the Chisos on 4/28 and 4/29. I saw a couple of pools but they were stagnant green. Nothing flowing out of the pipe.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
I'll post a trip report in the near future with more details, including a clarification on the solo hiker program and why ultralight/minimalist backpacking eventually will become harder to do in the park.

It does seem like that has been the trend. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
Can't wait to hear what the new twists are

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:42:24 PM »

That doesn't sound good. Congrats on the trip, Jonathan. Glad to hear you made it. And thanks for the water info. Looking forward to your trip report. The bad news from NPS, not so much.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
I was in the Park last week,  Boot Spring is dry and Boot Canyon has some small stagnant pools of pond sludge full of snails.  You could filter it if you were desperate but it would probably clog any filter after a gallon or two.  Same thing for Upper Cattail Canyon above the old dam but  there are large pools in Upper Cattail about 1/4 mile below the old dam where the slick rock plunge pools are located.   It's quite a cross-country hike into them however.

The ranger at PJ told me that only a few people have done the OML this month and most of those failed and one called 911 for help when they wanted to bail-out at Homer Wilson Ranch.   It's getting pretty hot and dry again, the park could really use some rain soon. 

I also stopped at the new Fossil Bone Exhibit for the first time - WOW it is great, so much better than the old one.  If you have not checked it out yet stop on your next trip.  I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was and they use solar panels to run LED lights and hopefully a camera/security system with.    This facility is at risk of getting vandalized at night but hopefully they have that covered as best they can.   TWWG

Offline horns93

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
I was in the Park this past weekend before we were evacuated and the water report is the same. There is still a stagnant pool above Boot Spring but as others have reported it doesn't look drinkable. We were hit by a thunderstorm on the 13th which caused the wildfire but unfortunately it didn't produce enough rain to improve the water situation.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »
I was in the Park this past weekend before we were evacuated and the water report is the same. There is still a stagnant pool above Boot Spring but as others have reported it doesn't look drinkable. We were hit by a thunderstorm on the 13th which caused the wildfire but unfortunately it didn't produce enough rain to improve the water situation.

Thanks, Horns93!  Every bit of info helps. Hopefully continued rains this month onward will recharge the spring soon.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 07:38:03 PM »

Thanks, Horns93!  Every bit of info helps. Hopefully continued rains this month onward will recharge the spring soon.

The Basin is running about 1 1/2" less than the YTD average and nothing yet for May.  :icon_frown:
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »
The Basin is running about 1 1/2" less than the YTD average and nothing yet for May.  :icon_frown:

Hmmm, well that would explain the temporary death of Boot Spring. I wonder how Upper Juniper Spring is doing.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 06:03:36 AM »

Hmmm, well that would explain the temporary death of Boot Spring. I wonder how Upper Juniper Spring is doing.

Similar deficit at PJ, about half the normal rainfall for the year there so far.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »

Similar deficit at PJ, about half the normal rainfall for the year there so far.

The rain chances increase later this week and next week... :crossedfingers:
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
I did the rounds in the middle of last month; Fresno was flowing nicely and Boot was dry.  We were fortunate that our hike had been 'hampered' by afternoon showers many of the 9 days we were there. When in the Chisos, I had to find water and was sure glad it had rained.  Boot Spring was indeed dry, but there were many run-off pools. I searched and searched, then compared color of several pools.  The water was the color of the dry grass all around. i picked the pools with the lightest color and filtered, using my bandana as a rough filter initially then squeezing through my filter. I pulled 4 gallons.  The Big-Bend tea wasn't bad.  It smelled somewhat like Jasmine tea and tasted a bit sweet and grassy; it mixed well with lemon-lime gatorade. I tested it by drinking a 20 oz gatorade before hiking back to SW4.  The water was fine and no one got sick.

Untitled by Superhomer670, on Flickr
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!