Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mesa de Anguila Water Sources Summer?

• 15 Replies

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
Mesa de Anguila Water Sources Summer?
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
I am planning a trip for late may and am tenatively thinking about doing an undecided variant of the MdA. I am very experienced with desert hiking and feel comfortable doing very long distance days and am willing to carry all of my water for the trip but would llike to know if there is even an off chance that any of the tinajas in the area would be green. thanks for any ifo in advance!

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Diamondback
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
Re: Mesa de Anguila Water Sources Summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
I am planning a trip for late may and am tenatively thinking about doing an undecided variant of the MdA. I am very experienced with desert hiking and feel comfortable doing very long distance days and am willing to carry all of my water for the trip but would llike to know if there is even an off chance that any of the tinajas in the area would be green. thanks for any ifo in advance!
The temperatures that time of year will be ranging from brutally to unbearably hot, and you may find that you need seven liters of water per day. You would enjoy yourself a lot more if you could find a way to visit the mda in the winter.

There are some deep and well-shaded tinajas that could have water, but they can also be difficult to access. Most notably Rana and Blanca.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Big Bend Chat mobile app
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:29:56 PM by DesertRatShorty »
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 08:34:25 PM »
El Hombre and I were up on the Mesa a couple weeks ago.  Didn't make it to some of the big sources, but pools I've known to be fairly reliable in winter were dry.  Only water we found was tiny muddy puddles in deep canyon shade.  Blanca hardly had any water when I was there in February (the big pool at the bottom of the downclimb was all but dry), and I would assume no water there in summer until the rains hit.  Rana may have some water if you downclimb far enough.  But overall I think you will find little to no water on the upper steps of the mesa in summer.  Even if it rains, there may be no water the next day.  It rained two nights we were out there, and the ground  was dry as a bone the next morning.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 10:30:55 PM »
Yeah.....it could be real, real hot. Though the MDA seems high, it's actually 1000-2000 feet lower than the Dodson Trail. Having hiked the Dodson in mid-June, I can tell you it was beyond brutal. I'm assuming the MDA at the end of May would be just as bad. And you won't find much shade up on the mesa. A few places here and there when the sun and slopes cooperate, and a few in the deeper tinajas, but mostly it'll just be open, rough ground. I agree with DRS, seven liters per day is probably a good guess for water needs. Carrying more than a couple days of that is going to get real heavy, real fast.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:31:09 AM »
111 on my wrist watch while walking.  The day time temps were only around 93, but Mr. Sun was shining bright.  With what Homer Wilson and I saw, you will have to carry all your water.
Here is a link to the location of a deep tinaja.  It is easy to get to from up stream.  Much, much bigger than Tinaja Blanca.  It is  the first time I have ever found it, so I don't have any idea of how "good" it is for holding water all year.  If you make it out there, please report back your observations.

N29į 12.620' W103į 40.436'

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.21033,-103.67394&z=15&t=U&marker0=29.21033%2C-103.67394%2CN29%25C2%25B0%2012.620%27%20W103%25C2%25B0%2040.436%27

For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Thanks for that tinaja info, elhombre. I think I may know that tinaja, even though Iíve never been there before.

IIRC, Jeff Blaylock (or possibly Robert?) unexpectedly stumbled upon it a few years ago and included mention of it in a trip report. Ever since reading about that tinaja, Iíve wanted to check it out. Iíve always referred to it as Tinaja Fortunato. Sounds like it still is!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
111 on my wrist watch while walking.  The day time temps were only around 93, but Mr. Sun was shining bright.  With what Homer Wilson and I saw, you will have to carry all your water.
Here is a link to the location of a deep tinaja.  It is easy to get to from up stream.  Much, much bigger than Tinaja Blanca.  It is  the first time I have ever found it, so I don't have any idea of how "good" it is for holding water all year.  If you make it out there, please report back your observations.

N29į 12.620' W103į 40.436'

https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.21033,-103.67394&z=15&t=U&marker0=29.21033%2C-103.67394%2CN29%25C2%25B0%2012.620%27%20W103%25C2%25B0%2040.436%27

I appreciate the info as well. Once again I'm still up in the air about where exactly I plan on going for this trip so Im not dead set on doing it. if I make it out there I'll most definitely make a water report. As for the conditions, I am aware that it will be very hot and dry. I hiked 700 miles across the mojave a few years ago in june and so I know how that feels and feel comfortable in being able to make it. Im a very light drinker as well. Im wanting to do something long that I havent done before and i might be a masochist but I kinda like the challenge of the brutal heat and isolation.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
I appreciate the info as well. Once again I'm still up in the air about where exactly I plan on going for this trip so Im not dead set on doing it. if I make it out there I'll most definitely make a water report. As for the conditions, I am aware that it will be very hot and dry. I hiked 700 miles across the mojave a few years ago in june and so I know how that feels and feel comfortable in being able to make it. Im a very light drinker as well. Im wanting to do something long that I havent done before and i might be a masochist but I kinda like the challenge of the brutal heat and isolation.

Wow. Mojave. Sounds like you're a tougher hiker than I am.

1. If you go, I wish you the best.
2. If you survive, I REALLY want to read your trip report.  ;)

Offline DesertRatShorty

• Diamondback
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »
Do you happen to have a report available for that Mojave trip?

I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »
Thanks for that tinaja info, elhombre. I think I may know that tinaja, even though Iíve never been there before.

IIRC, Jeff Blaylock (or possibly Robert?) unexpectedly stumbled upon it a few years ago and included mention of it in a trip report. Ever since reading about that tinaja, Iíve wanted to check it out. Iíve always referred to it as Tinaja Fortunato. Sounds like it still is!

Yes, I came across it back in 2014 but did not climb down to the water. The Mesa had several inches of rain several weeks prior so it didn't really cause me to think it might store water year round. Further down the canyon is another slot where you can find Upper Grande which has also been called Tinaja Largo which might hold water.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 05:25:15 PM »

Yes, I came across it back in 2014 but did not climb down to the water. The Mesa had several inches of rain several weeks prior so it didn't really cause me to think it might store water year round. Further down the canyon is another slot where you can find Upper Grande which has also been called Tinaja Largo which might hold water.

Díoh! Thatís right: I remember now: that was during your solo trip on the MDA wasnít it?

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »

Wow. Mojave. Sounds like you're a tougher hiker than I am.

1. If you go, I wish you the best.
2. If you survive, I REALLY want to read your trip report.  ;)

I think My Buddy and I are planning on doing at least part of the MdA on an overnight then and  will do my best to give as much info as I can afterwards thoguh I have to warn I am no Hemingway. The loose plan now is to carry a ton of water each and try to reach "the point" and possibly Fern Canyon Overlook. If we are really feeling it and can find a place where it is possible we might try to take a long route and find a class 3 scramble off the north side of the Mesa and then follow the creek to the Santa Elena parking lot. I'll report back here once the trip is over. I still have to do a bit more research on the best route for this as well.

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
Do you happen to have a report available for that Mojave trip?

Unfortunately I don't but it was a pretty straight forward route folowing the PCT north from Campo to Kennedy Meadows in southern California for the beginning of a thru Hike. I had to start very late season and suffered through a lot of heat for it. I should have recorded a bit more of the goings on but I wasn't so much plugged into the social side of things at the time unfortunately.

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »
So I have narrowed down the plans for this and think I may have found a way to make it work. Ill definitely post a trip report here afterewards. I have convinced a buddy to come and we are comfortable with climbing/canyoneering so I will bring some rope. Were planning on taking a 5.4 grade route on the side of bruja canyon up from santa elena (this is where the climbing would come in). I also was thinking if anywhere had water it would be here. We would obviously bring more than enough but cache water on top of the climb  if need be for the return. Then we would follow the gradual slope up to The point (cacheing) water along the trail again to save weight) , go from there along the rim to Fern Canyon Overlook, and then cut back through a wash to the north side of the Mesa and pick up the water cache. If We have time before our last night of camping we will likely go near the sinkhole and down through tinajas Largo and Grande before exiting back out Bruja the next morning and heading to Terlingua Abajo before getting picked up by my family. I'll be sure to note the lack of water or pleasant surprise of it being present at any of these tinajas. 

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »
That sounds like an ambitious trip, but itíll make for a fine experience if you can pull it off. Iíve been wanting to do that route up Bruja for a a couple years now., as well as explore Largo and Grande. Good luck; really looking forward to reading your trip report.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!