Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Mesa de Anguila Water Sources Summer?

• 20 Replies

Offline jeffblaylock

• Horned Frog
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • I'd rather be on the South Rim
Re: Mesa de Anguila Water Sources Summer?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 01:00:39 AM »
IIRC, Jeff Blaylock (or possibly Robert?) unexpectedly stumbled upon it a few years ago and included mention of it in a trip report. Ever since reading about that tinaja, Iíve wanted to check it out. Iíve always referred to it as Tinaja Fortunato. Sounds like it still is!

Possibly. We were on the Mesa a couple months after it had rained significantly, hoping that the tinajas would still be full of water. We found mostly dust. I think the tinaja mentioned previously in this topic is the one where we found water, and it required the young buck (Thank you Viper) of our group to free climb down to it. Full description of the trip is here:

http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/your-trip-reports/ay-chi-jeff-and-viper-meet-their-mesa

That said, the Mesa has no shade. Virtually none of it is level. The closer you get to the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon, the more if feels like you're walking on razor blades, and there's no place to sit down. And you're a long way from help. If it's sunny and hot, this will be a very hot hike, whether there's water or not. Not discouraging you, just level-setting.
Jeff Blaylock
Austin, Texas

"We'll be back, someday soon. We will return, someday, and when we do the gritty
splendor and the complicated grandeur of Big Bend will still be here. Waiting for us."--Ed Abbey

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 06:17:58 PM »
Well I guess this trip wasn't in the stars this time around. Maybe for the better. I showed up this afternoon without having heard about the fire until I got in the park. All plans have had to change. I'm hoping th fire crews can do the best they can to stay safe. I may do marufo Vega instead

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »
Tough timing.  Marufo Vega can easily be hotter than the MDA but there is some shade available in the side canyons and along the river and there is water from the river too.  The rangers will try to dissuade you mightily.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 08:47:23 PM »
It was 112 F in RGV today. The minimum humidity was 4%. The Marufo Vega will be a hazardous challenge. Good luck to you, be safe.
Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »
Backpacking in the desert this time of year is not smart, no matter how experienced you are.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 08:50:27 AM »
Mesa de Anguila is a terrible place to be during the summer and I really wouldn't expect any water in those tinajas until the monsoons. Look elsewhere.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!