Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Moss Well - April 27, 2018

• 14 Replies

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Moss Well - April 27, 2018
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
On this particular Friday, I stopped at the Bear & Mountain Lion Country pullout on the Basin Road.  This 1/2 mile as-the-crow-flies hike was beckoning me, so I thought I would do this one and then head over to explore around Sam Nail Ranch as previously planned.

I was guessing that Moss Well was somewhere near those trees in the distance.

Example of the sort of brush I had to deal in order to approach the published coordinates for Moss Well.

The pump head was laying on the ground about 65 feet away from the published location of the well. Although I circled about the best I could, there was no sign of a well of any sort.

Easier to see after I cleared away the dead stuff that had grown (and died) over it.

Another example of the foliage around the greater Moss Well area. I am thinking this stuff must have died en masse during the 2010-11 draught...

Due to the tortuous nature of the route followed, I hiked 2.7 miles total and was gone for a little under 3-1/2 hours.

Don't advise going here unless you like stomping through dead brush and losing a little blood in the process. Now that I am home I see in Google Earth that there may be possible ruins I missed by 50 or 75 feet but never caught sight of them.

- Flash
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:47:17 AM by Flash »

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: Moss Well - April 27, 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »
I guess Moss well is near Moss Spring ? I see the spring (on Lance's GE) but no well is marked.  I also presume (probably incorrectly) that the unseen ruins were near the well/spring ?  Finding that old pump out there is pretty cool. I wonder who Moss was ?

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 10:38:34 PM »
That 2.7 miles probably would have taken me all day. That kind of terrain is really slow going for me. Were you able to explore around Sam Nail? I have made two attempts to find the "rock hut" behind Sam Nail that is indicated on Google Earth annotated by Lance, and have failed each time.  >:(
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
I guess Moss well is near Moss Spring ? I see the spring (on Lance's GE) but no well is marked.  I also presume (probably incorrectly) that the unseen ruins were near the well/spring ?  Finding that old pump out there is pretty cool. I wonder who Moss was ?
Alan, I saw that marker in GE after I returned and wished I had that waypoint with me also, but it is only about 60-70 feet away from either the pump head or the Moss Well waypoint I had.  The Moss Well coordinates I was using originally come from the infamous wildlife habitat paper we often reference around here. Not sure where Lance's point may have come from but it appears to be very close by in the nearest drainage. My alleged ruins, which may or may not exist, are a small rectangular fuzzy blob that appears to throw shadows like a worn down adobe/stone ruin might.  Moss was the father of John Moss who married Sam Nail's daughter Julia, hence Julia Nail Moss. The only other sign I found were several scattered rusty paint cans and a few 12 oz. steel drink cans with triangular punches.

- Flash

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
That 2.7 miles probably would have taken me all day. That kind of terrain is really slow going for me. Were you able to explore around Sam Nail? I have made two attempts to find the "rock hut" behind Sam Nail that is indicated on Google Earth annotated by Lance, and have failed each time.  >:(
Imre, the hike involved crossing 5 or 6 washes of which 2 or 3 were deep enough to call a ravine. Between them, on the gravel terraces, I crossed a couple sotol forests (stalks not up yet). It was the last 1/3 toward the well that took so much patience and had so many false starts weaving through the brush.  No, I never got back to Sam Nail this trip. The rock hut was one of my targets, if it still exists at all, along with a couple springs and some odd blobs of vegetation. Maybe in July...

- Flash

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 01:26:01 PM »
 :great: Flash, I always get excited when I see you fixate on a spot. I know you'll keep coming back until you squeeze every bit of meaning out of it. I love that about your style and your posts. Looking forward to more on this spot.

Maybe in July...

:icon_lol: Don't hurt yourself.

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
Maybe in July... ............ I hear its hot out there in July

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »

The Stone Hut has also eluded me. Me and 2 others spent a morning wandering around out there looking to no avail. The brush/cacti was very dense and limited sight as well as one's path. But, based on the gps trax we thought we should have seen it. When I later talked to Lance he wasn't sure it still exists. I'll bet if its still standing Flash will find it -

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »
I seem to remember that JamesB aka "The Scorpion", may have been to Moss well once. I searched a bit but didn't find anything. Maybe he'll chime in?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Imre

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »
The Stone Hut has also eluded me. Me and 2 others spent a morning wandering around out there looking to no avail. The brush/cacti was very dense and limited sight as well as one's path. But, based on the gps trax we thought we should have seen it. When I later talked to Lance he wasn't sure it still exists.
An earlier version of Google Earth allowed us to compare the current satellite map with several earlier generations, going back to about 1992 I think. (Anyone know how to toggle this feature, if it's still available?) When I checked the water course at the GPS coordinates for that stone hut it appeared the main channel moved from one side of the hut to the other. So I wouldn't expect it to be standing, just a pile of rocks. If it's not too hot in May I'll take another look.
Cheers,
Imre
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
An earlier version of Google Earth allowed us to compare the current satellite map with several earlier generations, going back to about 1992 I think. (Anyone know how to toggle this feature, if it's still available?)

Still there.

Use the date slider.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline fullmetaljacket6793

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
Im going to check this spot out in August

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »

The well/spring or the rock hut? Either way, go for it!  8)

Offline fullmetaljacket6793

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

The well/spring or the rock hut? Either way, go for it!  8)
Both... this post really got my interest up. I would love to see that old pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »
The "Rock Hut" was marked on old topographical maps from the 1930s. I added it to the GE project hoping to go out and find it one day. Sounds like it no longer exists.

As for Moss Spring, that came from the spring data floating around years ago. A lot of those springs coordinates were marked in the general vicinity, not exact location.  I did notice that the old historical topo has "Moss Well" marked on the map.

If you want Google Earth overlays, including historical ones, check out this post.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:25:54 PM by Lance »

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!