Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Water in Dodson and Fresno Drainages & drainage between Dominguez Mtn. & ET

• 5 Replies

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
Sun 12-11: Hiked from Juniper Canyon Trailhead along Dodson Tr. and down eastmost of Dodson drainages to camp at high saddle on ET trail SSW of Tortuga Mtn. Saw much good water in Dodson Drainage and what some call West Fresno Creek (drain containing Zapato Tuerto Spring).
Mon 12-12: Hiked down ET Tr. to point just north of ET, went SW off trail up a small drainage, then jumped out onto flank of ET and traversed SW until we dropped down into a small drain which soon joined the drain containing Steps Spring. Saw a nice pool in the drain at that intersection. Having hiked up the drain toward Steps Spr. a hundred feet or so, we stopped for lunch by a beautiful pool fed by running water. Reversed course, arriving at camp on saddle about dark.
Tu 12-13: Hiked up Fresno drainage seeing much running water and many nice pools. Spent night at Fresno Camp. Water running across Dodson Tr.
Wed. 12-14: Hiked out along Dodson and drove home.

General Impression: My companion, who has been to this area many times, said he has rarely seen so much water. Much greener than usual. Saw a lot of quail.

Geezer

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Awesome report, sounds like plenty of water in the Quemada right now!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
Thanks Geezer. That's good news.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Geezer, I think you may have parked next to my truck at the Trailhead on Sunday?  :icon_smile:

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you all had great adventure.  :great:

- Flash

Offline Geezer

• Black Bear
Flash,

If you were one of the two lads heading to upper Juniper Spring for the night, then you saw us on the way out.

I suppose Upper Juniper was producing a good flow?

Geezer

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
Geezer,
No, no. We never saw each other. I arrived Saturday and spent the night below Lower Juniper Spring. Sunday when I returned to the trailhead, I saw a dark SUV parked next to my truck. I was assuming that was your vehicle.
Flash

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!