Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

OML Water Report 1/5 - 1/7

• 2 Replies

Offline johnsigmon

• Kangaroo Rat
OML Water Report 1/5 - 1/7
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:23 PM »
Hey! Wanted to share a quick trip report for outer mountain loop from this past weekend. The wife and I went clockwise from Homer Wilson with no water caches, starting Friday, January 5th, finishing Sunday January 7th.

Day 1
We were pressed for time, so we drove overnight from Austin, arriving at Panther Junction around 7:30 AM. We got our permits and headed over to Homer Wilson. We hit the trail around 11:30, and made it up Blue Creek Canyon to stay in Colima 3 the first night. It was a nice little campsite, and we had a few deer friends hanging out with us there. Didn't seem too cold at night for the mountains, I would guess 35-40 F but I didn't have a thermometer.

Day 2
We headed out around 8 AM, passing someone who was walking up the stairs from Boot Spring with a full water bladder. (He was also camped right on the trail next to that shed  :icon_cry: ). There were large pools in Boot Canyon on the trail also. We headed out Juniper Canyon trail to nice views and clear skies, arriving at Upper Juniper Spring around 11 AM. We got directions to it from this site, and they proved spot on. For anyone else looking for it, I can't find the link at the moment, but the directions came from TWWG. Right when you are about to get out of the trees there is a metal sign that says "No Camping Zone Camping begins 0.25 <--" At this sign you follow the small path to your right for a minute or two until you see the cement ruins. There will be a metal pipe laying on the hill in front of you or to your right. Follow it uphill 20-30 yards and at the bottom of a big boulder there is a small set of rocks with water in them, there may be leaves on top of it. Water was flowing all the way down to the cement ruins when we were there, and we easily pumped 8 liters and relaxed for almost an hour. We headed back out, cruising along the nice walk out of Juniper Canyon for the afternoon. We pushed through the Dodson to camp just above Fresno Creek for the night (to the east). The wash just short of where we camped had a spring with a small pool of water, but it was a little gross with algae. Pumped a liter out before it clogged my filter. It was probably 75-85 during the day, and much warmer at night, 40-50 if I had to guess.

Also, looking east towards Mexico over Tortuga Mountain, we kept seeing a red light that seemed to flicker and hover. A park ranger on the way out said she had seen the same thing. She thought it was cars in Mexico, but the way it moved, it would have had to be dropping quite a few feet if it was that far away. My best guess was someone camping out at a desert roadside spot with a drone. Anyone else see something like this?

Day 3
I pumped 7 liters while my wife packed up the tent and met me down at the bottom. Fresno was flowing at least 50 feet upstream, and at least 200 feet downstream, but didn't wander off much farther than that. There were plenty of nice big pools to pump from. Someone was camping right next to the spring and packing up when we left. Isn't that a no-no? Tooth brushing, peeing, and otherwise is definitely not a good thing to do next to a spring, and I would imagine the campsite scares off animals that need the spring. Oh well, I waved and kept walking. We had great cloud cover and a nice breeze all morning, making the walk back nice. We got back to the car around 1:30 and headed out.

Will try to get pictures up later.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: OML Water Report 1/5 - 1/7
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »
Great, fast trip and sounds like there is still plenty of water out there and should be for a while.  Thanks! :great:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline godofrah

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: OML Water Report 1/5 - 1/7
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
Many thanks, John! We are headed out tomorrow, and we are very grateful for your water report  :eusa_clap:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!