Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML water report

• 19 Replies

Offline Wadfather

• Kangaroo Rat
OML water report
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »
I just went clockwise through the outer Mountain Loop and just thought there should be some updated info on it.

Boot spring: light flow with some pools below as of March 10th

Juniper: dry

Smoky Creek: dry

Fresno Creek: following strongly as of March 11th

All else is dry so be sure to cache your water and have fun.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: OML water report
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »
Welcome to BBC and thanks for the water report.

Did you walk up the hill behind the concrete troughs at Upper Juniper spring to check the actual spring?  I find it hard to believe that it is dry.

How were the spring break crowds?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:23:38 AM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline wotantx

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
Welcome to BBC and thanks for the water report.

Did you walk up the hill behind the concrete troughs at Upper Juniper spring to check the actual spring?  I find it hard to believe that it is dry.

How were the spring break crowds?
Not as bad as I expected, especially considering the well-reported wildflower bloom.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline tmilla1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
If Fresno Creek was flowing strongly as of March 11th as reported would it be safe to assume it will almost certainly have water this coming weekend 3/29-31?

Planning on doing the OML solo and caching at HW. Aside from the heat on Friday it appears the temps will drop off decently so I'm hoping to accomplish  a 2.5 day trip depending on how my body feels. I'm accustomed to doing 15+ mile multi-day trips in the Sierra's with 4-5k of climbing, but I haven't done much hiking, and zero backpacking since late August. That being said I'll probably plan on an extra day's food in case I find myself moving slower. Pack weight without water/food will be around 9-10lbs.

My semi-planned itinerary would be to camp in the basin Thursday night after driving from Dallas, get permits Friday morning and hit the trail heading up into the Chisos, resupplying water at Boot Spring or Juniper then on to Fresno Creek area where I'd get more water and camp. Finish the Dodson early next AM and pick up cached water at HW, then head back up to the mountains and camp on the South Rim. Next day maybe take in Emory Peak on the way down.

Any suggestions/alteration to the trip plan are welcomed as are campsite recommendations. I've also considered starting at HW and skipping the basin, but still making sure to hit the South Rim and Emory Peak.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
tmila1 welcome to BBC!

You will do just fine both with your experience and you light pack.  Fresno will have water, you might have to go down wash a bit to find good pools.  Good plan to hit the South Rim, it is a must, Emory Peak not so much, if you are feeling at all tired or ready to head to the showers I would skip Emory.  If you are feeling full of energy then go ahead and do it.
no shade, no water

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
OML water report
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »
Generally agreed with Mule Ears. You’re perfectly prepared for this hike and I think it will be easier for you than you think. Though I will caution that your second day’s itinerary might be a tad ambitious: Fresno to HW to the South Rim is a looong hike, with the last bit up Blue Creek Canyon and along the Southwest Rim all done in the broiling afternoon sun. That will be an unpleasant hike.

If I were you I’d skip the Basin and start at Homer Wilson and either head clockwise up Blue Creek Canyon first thing in the morning before it’s in full sun, or head counterclockwise to Fresno, the Dodson-Juniper Canyon Trail intersection and then partway into Juniper Canyon. Either way, your second day can be spent mostly exploring the Chisos.

IMHO Emory Peak is overrated, but if you’re already up in the Chisos and have never summited Emory, it’s probably worth the the side trip. And the best thing about the Pinnacles trail is the view from the top down into the Basin, which location also happens to be the trailhead for Emory Peak. So you can kill two birds with one stone without having to climb the Pinnacles trail.

Also: If you start at HW, you won’t need to cache any water no matter which direction you go. Boot Canyon, Upper Juniper Spring, and Fresno Creek will provide all the additional water you need and you’ll never have to carry more than 2-3 liters on you.  Plus there are even more natural sources available if you want to get creative.

Question: what’s your Thursday schedule? Are you leaving Dallas after a full workday and driving in the evening, or can you leave in the morning? If you can leave at 6am or earlier, you have a good chance of arriving in time to get your permit that same day. Then you can drive to HW and camp upwash that night, giving you an even earlier start on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 10:18:53 AM by House Made of Dawn »
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline tmilla1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »
Thanks Mule Ears and House! Your info and suggestions are very helpful. I think I'll chop out the basin portion and start at Homer Wilson then. Sounds like CCW is the way to go in this case and allow plenty time to explore the Chisos on the second day. Also, good call on the departure. I'll probably shoot for early AM departure from Dallas on Friday with goal of arriving in time to get permit and depart HW early Saturday when the cooler weather has arrived. I'll be sure to share a water report if everything goes as planned. Getting stoked!

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

Offline tmilla1

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »
Just did the OML counter clockwise from HW starting 3/30 at around 10:30am. The temps were really nice and the sky was a bit overcast. I started out with 4 liters to be on the safe side since I wasn't certain Fresno would be flowing. I came across some small puddles a short distance west of Fresno as another person mentioned, but pushed on a few minutes to find the real Fresno flowing at a very low but decent rate. I filtered the water but it looked quite good right out of the creek with little particulate. When I arrived at the junction with the Juniper Canyon trail I peaked in the bear box just to check and found some emergency water left by the rangers. Some of the gallon jugs were empty, some partially consumed. If I remember correctly they were dated 3/11 so that means these aren't necessarily refilled super frequently. DO NOT count on them to be full when you arrive. There also appeared to be cached water left by other hikers in other containers. I had topped off at Fresno so I didn't take anything. Around this time the wind started picking up so I kept pushing several miles up into the shelter and taller vegetation of Juniper canyon as the Dodson is very lacking in coverage. Also of note, this section has a little bit more aggressive chaparral and since I wore shorts I paid for it as it was unavoidable at times. Found a nice little cleared spot about 20 feet off trail at just shy of 15 miles for the day. Probably only saw about 3-4 decent cleared campsite locations along this stretch and only one other tent a few hundred yards up the trail.

Day two started with the climb up through Juniper Canyon into the mountains. I wasn't paying as close attention to the mileage and went right past what I believe was upper Juniper Spring so I didn't investigate to see if it was flowing. About a mile past it I realized I should've checked it in the event Boot Spring wasn't flowing, but I pushed on knowing that I could dip down into the basin for water if I had to. I arrived at the junction with Boot Spring and saw several decent sized pools/puddles of water. I started to filter some of it when a couple passed and mentioned that it was actually flowing out of a pipe just down the trail. The water was flowing at a slow trickle but looked much more appealing than the puddles. From here I cut across the Colima trail as I was ready drop my pack and set up camp so I could explore the rim more comfortably. I camped at SW2 and wandered down the South Rim to be treated to the most epic views of the whole trip.

I woke up the next morning with some frozen condensation on the bear box but still slept pretty comfortably in a 38F quilt (albeit my toes were cold because I forgot my second pair of socks). I still had about 2 liters from the previous day so I wasn't concerned with topping off for the last 7ish miles. I didn't come across any more water on the way down the Blue Creek trail, but I was treated to some of the best views of the trip. Made it back to my car around 12:30pm, celebrated with a few still cold Modelos and made the long drive back to Dallas.

Overall, amazing trip. Would do again and again if it wasn't such a long drive. I never had to carry more than 4 liters of water but came across at least one guy who said he was carrying 25lbs of water which was probably as much or more than the entire weight of my pack and he wasn't even doing the OML. I only saw about 3-4 other groups who were doing the OML, all going the opposite direction. If I recall most said they started in the basin. There didn't appear to be an abundance of Spring Breakers, but I wasn't really in many high traffic areas. Thanks for all the info that everyone has shared here to help make my journey a success!

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
Congratulations tmilla1 and thank you for the good report.  You were definitely after the big spring break rush so you timed it perfectly.  Good to see still good water out there this late into the spring.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:20:03 AM by mule ears »
no shade, no water

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »

Just did the OML counter clockwise from HW starting 3/30 at around 10:30am.

Outstanding, man!  Well done.

Glad it worked out for you by skipping the caching and drawing from natural sources. Definitely the way to go in all but the driest seasons. And happy that you got to spend some quality time at The Rim. Not to be missed!!!

....came across at least one guy who said he was carrying 25lbs of water which was probably as much or more than the entire weight of
my pack and he wasn't even doing the OML.

Probably on fire patrol.  :rolling:

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 08:38:35 PM »
Congrats tmilla1!  Thanks for the report.  I went CCW about 6 weeks ago and also got somewhat confused on the exact location of Fresno Creek until I experienced it after the pools of water I came across prior.  I haven't come across any post on here which specifically lists and provides exact coordinates of the prominent water sources along the OML. That type of post I believe would/should be pinned at the top of the OML thread.   The only water sources I am aware of the exact location, and can personally confirm are accurate, are Fresno Creek (N29° 12.175' W103° 17.645') and Boot Springs (N29° 14.513' W103° 17.809').  There are several other water sources along the OML - Dodson Springs and Upper Juniper Springs that I'm aware of, and probably several more that I'm not.   
It would be a great thread to have pinned to the top of the OML thread by those who have experienced these water sources in person, and know their relative reliability based on time of year/season.  Cheers!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 12:24:20 AM »
Going CCW from the Smoky Creek bottoms, half-way up the next ridge, there is a small spring right in the middle of the trail - does it have a name?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 06:23:17 AM »
Going CCW from the Smoky Creek bottoms, half-way up the next ridge, there is a small spring right in the middle of the trail - does it have a name?

There is no named spring along that section.  It does run occasionally on really wet years but does not seem to be from a point source.
no shade, no water

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »
Congrats tmilla1!  Thanks for the report.  I went CCW about 6 weeks ago and also got somewhat confused on the exact location of Fresno Creek until I experienced it after the pools of water I came across prior.  I haven't come across any post on here which specifically lists and provides exact coordinates of the prominent water sources along the OML. That type of post I believe would/should be pinned at the top of the OML thread.   The only water sources I am aware of the exact location, and can personally confirm are accurate, are Fresno Creek (N29° 12.175' W103° 17.645') and Boot Springs (N29° 14.513' W103° 17.809').  There are several other water sources along the OML - Dodson Springs and Upper Juniper Springs that I'm aware of, and probably several more that I'm not.   
It would be a great thread to have pinned to the top of the OML thread by those who have experienced these water sources in person, and know their relative reliability based on time of year/season.  Cheers!

That kind of thread/information is somewhat problematic for several reasons.  Are you talking about where there is water as it crosses the trail in wet seasons or where the actual spring is recorded to be?  For example your coordinates for Fresno Creek are were the trail crosses the wash. The actual spring is Bonito and is up wash a bit from there.  Dodson spring is at 29* 12.442 and 103* 17.092 but where it's wash crosses the trail is at about 29* 12.382 and 103* 17.002.    Upper Juniper spring is the only other water source that is fairly reliable and even with a well worn side trail and clear instructions in the OML FAQ people blow right past it.  It is approximately at 29* 14.968 and 103* 16.681.

Reliability is yet another changing factor depending on the year and the season.  Fresno is the only 90%+ source, followed by the pools between the Juniper canyon and NE rim trail junctions, followed by Upper Juniper at maybe 80%, the actual pipe at Boot spring is really variable and then Dodson spring that I would never really count on for either quantity or quality.

I could put the coordinates in the OML FAQ but then I also hate for folks to rely solely on a GPS.
no shade, no water

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!