Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML water report

• 19 Replies

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Re: OML water report
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »
  There are several other water sources along the OML - Dodson Springs and Upper Juniper Springs that I'm aware of, and probably several more that I'm not.   
It would be a great thread to have pinned to the top of the OML thread by those who have experienced these water sources in person, and know their relative reliability based on time of year/season.  Cheers!

Yes, there are at least 4 water sources within 20 minutes of the Dodson trail that have good water most of the year that are marked on the topo map.  I agree with ME that publishing GPS coordinates of water sources is problematic.  Hiking in the desert requires a specific skill set of it's own.  Desert hiking requires water.  No other way around it.  If a hiker's only directional skill is being able to stare at an electronic device in his hand while walking at the same time, then that person is unprepared. NOT because I give a flip if they kill themselves due to dehydration. Shoot, I welcome that as "thinning the herd" situation because they only had to man-up, and carry more water to avoid the situation.  But,  the same desert hiker who can't take the time to look for a spring because they weren't "paying as close attention to the mileage and went right past" it, or never took note of the big green vegetation area they just walked by, is the same hiker dropping trash, camping and pooping near water sources, and leaving their toilet paper under rocks as if it will all magically disappear. 

It's the same old argument.  Is it about the journey, or the destination.  Hikers that run through the Dodson in 2 nights counting on GPS coordinates are destination people.  Did you sit near a spring for 15 minutes and observe the wildlife that is all around you (snakes, birds, lizards)?  Did you see the watering trough at Upper Juniper?  Did you see the bed frame at the Dodson House ruins?  Was there water coming out of the pipe at Boot spring? Did you take the time to wonder why you all of the sudden, out here in the desert you can hear your own heart beat in your ears, and it's REALLY loud?  Or do you only remember listening to your latest download as you walked by some pokey plant? 

People will drive 8 or more hours one way to hike the OML, but yet they just don't have 10 minutes to stop on the trail and look around for a spring.......

Grampa elhombre says "get off my lawn!"
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 11:49:34 AM »
Congrats tmilla1!  Thanks for the report.  I went CCW about 6 weeks ago and also got somewhat confused on the exact location of Fresno Creek until I experienced it after the pools of water I came across prior.  I haven't come across any post on here which specifically lists and provides exact coordinates of the prominent water sources along the OML. That type of post I believe would/should be pinned at the top of the OML thread.   The only water sources I am aware of the exact location, and can personally confirm are accurate, are Fresno Creek (N29 12.175' W103 17.645') and Boot Springs (N29 14.513' W103 17.809').  There are several other water sources along the OML - Dodson Springs and Upper Juniper Springs that I'm aware of, and probably several more that I'm not.   
It would be a great thread to have pinned to the top of the OML thread by those who have experienced these water sources in person, and know their relative reliability based on time of year/season.  Cheers!

That kind of thread/information is somewhat problematic for several reasons.  <snip>

I could put the coordinates in the OML FAQ but then I also hate for folks to rely solely on a GPS.

Agreed. Most of this information is easily available if folks will search for it. Also, GPS performance in canyons is very poor, e.g. Upper Juniper Spring, Visual directions can be much better in many cases.

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
  There are several other water sources along the OML - Dodson Springs and Upper Juniper Springs that I'm aware of, and probably several more that I'm not.   

Yes, there are at least 4 water sources within 20 minutes of the Dodson trail that have good water most of the year that are marked on the topo map.  I agree with ME that publishing GPS coordinates of water sources is problematic.  Hiking in the desert requires a specific skill set of it's own.  Desert hiking requires water.  No other way around it.  If a hiker's only directional skill is being able to stare at an electronic device in his hand while walking at the same time, then that person is unprepared. NOT because I give a flip if they kill themselves due to dehydration. Shoot, I welcome that as "thinning the herd" situation because they only had to man-up, and carry more water to avoid the situation.  But,  the same desert hiker who can't take the time to look for a spring because they weren't "paying as close attention to the mileage and went right past" it, or never took note of the big green vegetation area they just walked by, is the same hiker dropping trash, camping and pooping near water sources, and leaving their toilet paper under rocks as if it will all magically disappear. 

It's the same old argument.  Is it about the journey, or the destination.  Hikers that run through the Dodson in 2 nights counting on GPS coordinates are destination people.  Did you sit near a spring for 15 minutes and observe the wildlife that is all around you (snakes, birds, lizards)?  Did you see the watering trough at Upper Juniper?  Did you see the bed frame at the Dodson House ruins?  Was there water coming out of the pipe at Boot spring? Did you take the time to wonder why you all of the sudden, out here in the desert you can hear your own heart beat in your ears, and it's REALLY loud?  Or do you only remember listening to your latest download as you walked by some pokey plant? 

People will drive 8 or more hours one way to hike the OML, but yet they just don't have 10 minutes to stop on the trail and look around for a spring.......

Grampa elhombre says "get off my lawn!"
I completely agree with you and Mule Ears, and understand how problematic it would be to post coords of ever-changing water sources without a disclaimer on their reliability.  I too enjoy the sound of my heart beat, and am not a "destination person".  I took alot of pics on the OML and shared them on this site.  To each his own.  Cheers. 

Offline Kneves808

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 05:07:02 PM »
Hi All! Any updates on Boot Spring? We are heading out that way for a 4 day trip and wondering if we need to lug the extra water or if we will be able to obtain some on the trail. TIA!! :) 

Offline LinuxGeek28

• Kangaroo Rat
  • Cabin in Terlingua Ranch since 2011
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »
Boot Spring update:  No water flowing as of 4/21.  There are a few tinajas with cloudy water in Boot canyon.  When you get your permit, the rangers will likely ask you to leave it for the animals.   We carried the filter, but had enough water on our backs to make an overnight to the south rim without having to take any out of Boot canyon.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!