Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML water report December 1st

• 3 Replies

Offline EllisB

• Kangaroo Rat
OML water report December 1st
« on: December 01, 2019, 10:28:27 PM »
Just finished the OML from Homer Wilson, counterclockwise with the south rim extension.
Water is flowing nicely at every site. At Fresno creek water is flowing on the trail (not so much that youíll wet your shoes). It rained some these days, so there are some pools on the wash before Fresno that might get someone confused. Ignore them and keep going, at the next wash youíll hear the water flowing and following the trail to your right youíll have a nice little spot to collect.
Juniper canyon spring also running nicely. Not obvious to find: when you hit the metal sign with trails directions, the one on the right will take you up boot canyon. take the unmarked trail to your left (coming from Dodson, would be almost straight ahead coming from the rim) and go down a few hundred feet. Youíll see water at the stone ruins but go up to your right for a good spot to collect where the water springs out of the big boulder.
Boot canyon springs: didnít go there but I was told it was coming out the pipe nicely.
Boot canyon pools: right at the intersection where the metal sign is for all the trails to the rim, there are three big pools covered in leaves. Theyíll look bad but once you swipe off the leaves water is nice underneath. No mold or slime growing. Thereís another big one that is clearer a little up boot canyon. Other big ones higher up but they didnít seem accessible.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:26:06 AM by mule ears »

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Re: OML water report December 1st
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 11:24:06 PM »
Many thanks.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 06:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the report EllisB.  Hope you will give us a trail report too.  How did the rental car thing work out?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline EllisB

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks for the report EllisB.  Hope you will give us a trail report too.  How did the rental car thing work out?

Just got back from Texas yesterday, Iíll try to write a trip report tonight, it was fantastic!
The car worked out great: when I called the general Budget costumer service they wanted $300 extra just to pick up the car 6 hours earlier, so I didnít change my reservation, but when I got to the counter in Midland the guys couldnít care less: they gave me the keys at 4.30pm, told me to return it by 4.30pm 5 days later, no other questions (or money) asked. I guess smaller airports with nice people will get you some perks :)
Trip report will come soon! Again, what an amazing time I had..

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!