Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Quemada Surface Water (!) and Springs

• 21 Replies

Offline BradATX

• Jack Rabbit
Quemada Surface Water (!) and Springs
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:27:39 AM »
Just got back from four days of hiking a big loop, with a rough route of Homer Wilson to Claro drainage to ET trail to Double Spring to Fisk Canyon to Dominguez Spring to Smoky Spring and back up Smoky Creek.  I can say that Dominguez and Smoky Springs are both running nicely.  I can't report with certainty on any of the other springs I went by, because their is a ridiculous amount of surface water flowing through most drainages right now.  Waterfalls and soaking wet boots type stuff.  We were hiking in and along side water for maybe half of our 40 mile hike.

The highest water levels were in the Claro/Fresno drainage and Fisk Canyon.  I'd expect flowing surface water in those locations for the next week, probably more.  Water levels are falling however.  The Dodson/Smoky Creek junction was a fast running stream on our first day out.  It was still flowing nicely on our return four days later, but probably at half the rate.

I have a busy week ahead of me but I'll try to put together a trip report soon, complete with pictures.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Quemada Surface Water (!)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:48:49 AM »
Thanks for getting a water report out quickly, Brad! That's an amazing amount of water. Wish I was out there to see it right now. But, alas, no.....hope someone else gets out there soon, though, because tracking the fall (or rise) of flows would be fascinating.

Looking forward to the full trip report when you get a chance. 
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: Quemada Surface Water (!) and Springs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
By the way, that's quite a loop you did. Congrats!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline BradATX

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »
Thanks!  For the record, this was from 11/8 through 11/11.  My route was roughly similar to one I posted two years ago but in the opposite direction and with a few side explorations.

The biggest surprise besides all the water was meeting a pair of hikers heading in the opposite direction between Jack's Pass and Smoky Spring.  I told them they were going to wish they had waterproof boots once they got near Fisk Canyon.

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Nice
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 01:35:21 PM »
Amazing water levels for sure, especially that report of a flowing stream at the Smoky Creek and Dodson junction.  Sounds like a March trip I did in '92 along the same route after several years of above average rainfall but a particularly wet Dec.-Feb. period and water was running down almost every wash.  I will be a good time to hit the lower desert this year.   :eusa_dance:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Amazing water levels for sure, especially that report of a flowing stream at the Smoky Creek and Dodson junction.  Sounds like a March trip I did in '92 along the same route after several years of above average rainfall but a particularly wet Dec.-Feb. period and water was running down almost every wash.  I will be a good time to hit the lower desert this year.   :eusa_dance:

Winter '08 was like that too!
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline lech

• lech
  • Kangaroo Rat
    • rtcentral12 youtube
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Hey Brad, this is lech (Ric). I was leaving as you were headed in. The water was amazing back in the Quemada's.  After years I have finally joined the forum, Newbie to forum but not BiBe, In 70/80s rafted mainly. On occasion after doing all the established trails started my adventures into the Quemadas. Then 22 year sabbatical to raise kids and then started heading back into the Quemadas in 2013. For recent report on the Corral spring drainage and water go to youtube and just search "rtcentral12".
Can't wait to see Brad's report and photos.
lech as in lechugilla for those that have hiked off trail

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »
Hey Brad, this is lech (Ric). I was leaving as you were headed in. The water was amazing back in the Quemada's.  After years I have finally joined the forum, Newbie to forum but not BiBe, In 70/80s rafted mainly. On occasion after doing all the established trails started my adventures into the Quemadas. Then 22 year sabbatical to raise kids and then started heading back into the Quemadas in 2013. For recent report on the Corral spring drainage and water go to youtube and just search "rtcentral12".
Ric, glad to see that you joined the group, your experience will be welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

no shade, no water

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
Enjoyed your video, lech!  :great: Wow, that's a lot of water flowing down that Corral Spring canyon!  :icon_eek:

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »
For recent report on the Corral spring drainage and water go to youtube and just search "rtcentral12".
Or for those too lazy to search:

Where was the waterfall at 11:00? Got coordinates? Awesome sight!

Is this it?
https://mapper.acme.com/?ll=29.19940,-103.34064&z=19&t=S&marker0=29.19940%2C-103.34064%2C29.19940614%20-103.3406428
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:56:10 PM by RichardM »

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 09:56:02 PM »
Where was the waterfall at 11:00? Got coordinates? Awesome sight!
The water fall is formed by the volcanic dike located immediately above the Corral Spring location coordinates given in Lance's Google Earth Project. The 7/2014 imagery is the sharpest.

Offline thwart

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »
That was my brother and me you bumped into near Jack's Pass.  We did Mules Ears to Dominguez through Jack's Pass and then up Fisk to to Smokey Creek Trail and back.  Water everywhere.  Most I've seen in 40 years of BBNP trekking.

If someone doesn't like carrying the water weight (like me) now is the time to go.

Offline lech

• lech
  • Kangaroo Rat
    • rtcentral12 youtube
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
RichardM.   Sorry I did not have my GPS this go. But your location is it (actually the white spot just to the left of the "A".  And as you know most 99% of the time this is probably just another dry pouroff to get around in the Quemada's.  Over the years I have always wanted to see water actually flowing in a creek. I got blessed with a waterfall a week ago.
lech as in lechugilla for those that have hiked off trail

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:33 PM »
That was my brother and me you bumped into near Jack's Pass.  We did Mules Ears to Dominguez through Jack's Pass and then up Fisk to to Smokey Creek Trail and back.  Water everywhere.  Most I've seen in 40 years of BBNP trekking.

If someone doesn't like carrying the water weight (like me) now is the time to go.

thwart welcome to BBC as well.  Have a trip report for us?  Pictures?  Where else have you trekked in all those years?

:welcome:

edit:  I now see that you are not new to BBC just finally posted after 6 years!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:38:58 PM by mule ears »
no shade, no water

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!