Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Water report north of the park road, Fossil Bone to Dike Tinaja 12/8-12/14

• 1 Replies

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Did a huge loop from from Fossil Bone up Tornillo Creek, down Rough Run to Dike Tinaja and back south of Slickrock Mtn., Croton Peak, Painted Gap Hills and Grapevine Hills to Fossil Bone.  Trip report to come.  There obviously has been lots of rain in the park this year and fall.  I went in the day after PJ got 1.2" and the Basin got 1.7" so take all of this info with that in mind.

Tornillo creek had a small running stream all the way up on 12/8 but was dry when I came back to Fossil Bone on 12/14.  The best chance of water in Tornillo is the tight rocky U shaped curve about 7 miles up between Tornillo and Creek on the map, from trtlrock and satellite it seems to always have some water at least in pools.

Dripping Spring had two medium pools above the drop into the trees, it was barely trickling over.
Painted Hills spring was running for some distance, I did not walk down it.
Onion spring had some water in the small pools in rocks above the cottonwood and house, did not fight my way in to see if the spring was running.

While there were pools here and there in Rough Run but the only real water was about a half a mile below the Oak Creek junction.  It ran for a long way over rocks into pools in a tight rock layered section.  I did not go look at Christmas spring or Serendipity springs.

Dike Tinaja had a full pool and it ran all the way down the wash to Rough Run.  It was quite milky but I used it.

Cottonwood creek had two long sections of running water from the cut in the ridge to the east down about a mile, each about a 1/4 mile long.

Slickrock canyon had huge pools with flow in between them.

Croton Spring drainage had lots of milky yellow water from almost the junction with Oak Creek up to Croton spring itself and in fact the marked springs didn't seem really be putting out much water.  I found some tinajas on the ridge east of Croton peak over to Painted Gap Hills but will describe them later in the trip report.

Lorn Spring, NW of the Grapevine Hills/Balanced rock parking area, has never been reported on that I know of.  It is at the bottom of a high sandstone pouroff and had a dripping flow from about 5 feet above two small pools and no run off down the wash.  There was a hanging fern garden along the drip zone.

The surprise (to me) was no water at Neville spring despite the big cottonwoods.  Looked over the edge of the wash at Fertile Sands, dry and no sign of Hannold 1.  I did not get over to the old Quail spring.  I walked right by Hannold 2 and saw now sign of water, there was a dead cottonwood in the vicinity.  I walked right by the wash for Richards spring and was not going to head back up wash to look for it, sorry BK.

All for now, I will try to get a trip report started later this week.  Great walk, 74 miles.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:12:53 AM by mule ears »
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Water report north of the park road, Fossil Bone to Dike Tinaja 12/8-12/14
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 07:14:17 AM »
Did a huge loop from from Fossil Bone up Tornillo Creek, down Rough Run to Dike Tinaja and back south of Slickrock Mtn., Croton Peak, Painted Gap Hills and Grapevine Hills to Fossil Bone.  Trip report to come.  There obviously has been lots of rain in the park this year and fall.  I went in the day after PJ got 1.2" and the Basin got 1.7" so take all of this info with that in mind.

Tornillo creek had a small running stream all the way up on 12/8 but was dry when I came back to Fossil Bone on 12/14.  The best chance of water in Tornillo is the tight rocky U shaped curve about 7 miles up between Tornillo and Creek on the map, from trtlrock and satellite it seems to always have some water at least in pools.

Dripping Spring had two medium pools above the drop into the trees, it was barely trickling over.
Painted Hills spring was running for some distance, I did not walk down it.
Onion spring had some water in the small pools in rocks above the cottonwood and house, did not fight my way in to see if the spring was running.

While there were pools here and there in Rough Run but the only real water was about a half a mile below the Oak Creek junction.  It ran for a long way over rocks into pools in a tight rock layered section.  I did not go look at Christmas spring or Serendipity springs.

Dike Tinaja had a full pool and it ran all the way down the wash to Rough Run.  It was quite milky but I used it.

Cottonwood creek had two long sections of running water from the cut in the ridge to the east down about a mile, each about a 1/4 mile long.

Slickrock canyon had huge pools with flow in between them.

Croton Spring drainage had lots of milky yellow water from almost the junction with Oak Creek up to Croton spring itself and in fact the marked springs didn't seem really be putting out much water.  I found some tinajas on the ridge east of Croton peak over to Painted Gap Hills but will describe them later in the trip report.

Lorn Spring, NW of the Grapevine Hills/Balanced rock parking area, has never been reported on that I know of.  It is at the bottom of a high sandstone pouroff and had a dripping flow from about 5 feet above two small pools and no run off down the wash.  There was a hanging fern garden along the drip zone.

The surprise (to me) was no water at Neville spring despite the big cottonwoods.  Looked over the edge of the wash at Fertile Sands, dry and no sign of Hannold 1.  I looked for the old Quail spring from a distance high on the rim of the wash and saw no indication of water or vegetation the would be associated with water.  I some how walked right by Hannold 2, so did not see it and likewise with Richards spring because I was not going to head back up wash.

All for now, I will try to get a trip report started later this week.  Great walk, 74 miles.

Very cool itinerary! I have considered something similar for a winter hike. With the rains this year, you had a great opportunity to make it happen. Well done.

Glad to see Painted Hills and Onion had some water.

Like you, I was never able to find any indication of Quail Spring, but Richard's Spring seems to be relatively reliable.

I visited Lorn Spring many, many,  years ago and found multiple seeps between there and Grapevine Hills too.

Last time I visited Neville, it was only a damp patch at the base of the cottonwoods near the beginning of the wash that leads to Fertile Sands.

Anxiously awaiting your trip report!!
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!