Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

water report Tinaja Latte?

• 4 Replies

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
water report Tinaja Latte?
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
This is the Tinaja buried in the parallel braids of Alamo Ck just to the W or maybe WNW of Tule Mt -- don't have my map handy. I think Okiehiker named it Tinaja Latte.

Huge lake of clear water (should last for months); couple of ducks, gnat-catchers, birdsong...pretty sweet. Muddy edges. So getting the water might be humorous entertainment...if you could rig an extension with a cup/ladle you'd be home free...
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: water report Tinaja Latte?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »
So Tinaja Latte wasnít so latte this time? Thatís good to know. The ducks are appropriate, as I believe the other name of this water hole is Wild Duck Tinaja.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
Good to see you back trtlrock!  Sounds like you at least walked by the tinaja.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »
Huge lake of clear water (should last for months); couple of ducks, gnat-catchers, birdsong...pretty sweet.

What I remember (other than the latte colored water) were lots of tracks and birds. Good to see you!

Clear water...any pictures?

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »
Huge lake of clear water (should last for months); couple of ducks, gnat-catchers, birdsong...pretty sweet.

What I remember (other than the latte colored water) were lots of tracks and birds. Good to see you!

Clear water...any pictures?

Yes - have some great pics but am not technically equipped to upload with my gear. Will do when I get back though...it's gorgeous there.

Hi to you and ME...
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!