Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2010 National Public Lands Day September 24-25, 2010

• 2 Replies

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
2010 National Public Lands Day September 24-25, 2010
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
The Friends of Big Bend is hosting a National Public Lands Day volunteer project on September 24-25, 2010. They are going to spruce up the Persimmon Gap Visitor Center area - volunteer projects are available for all ages and abilities. See the website below for online registration and the schedule:
http://www.bigbendfriends.org/how-to-help/event-registration/

Presidio, can we expect to see you there? :icon_lol:

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: 2010 National Public Lands Day September 24-25, 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »
Presidio, can we expect to see you there? :icon_lol:

RSVP--

An interesting prospect to be sure. Intriguing and maybe even enticing. However, in order for me to attend I would have to surrender my resistance to doing anything to aid and abet the NPS in their never-ending quest to improve their hand-holding and regulation of tourists.

So, it's not likely I will make an appearance but, if I were to, such news only would be learned about after the fact. There would be some utility in anonymously mingling at the service level to better understand the adversary (and they would get an honest day's work at the same time, to boot).

However, I am better known to run a shovel or fire tool for the BLM on Public Lands Day, and have done so many times, so that is the more likely place I would be....enhancing unfettered, unregulated and non-fee public use of federal lands.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
Re: 2010 National Public Lands Day September 24-25, 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Well, I just looked at the link for the event. They can't be serious! You have to PAY them to go work for free for the day? Ain't gonna happen. That's probably on top of the rip-off entrance fee (good for 7 days, but not really....only 6).

So, let's see, $20 to get 100 yards inside the park and then $15 or $25 to work as a 'volunteer'. Who are they trying to fool? This is fee-ville.

In contrast, BLM charges no entry fees, no participation fees, gives you a free t-shirt and feeds you a complimentary lunch and drinks during the day.

I know where I'm going...someplace interested in my assistance and not my wallet.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!