Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Barton Warnock

• 9 Replies

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Barton Warnock
« on: August 20, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »
i read an article online that stated Mr. Warnock was working on a book at the time of his death . the title was to be wildflowers of the big bend national park . does anyone know to if someone else is finishing the book ,or if was it close enough to finished and got published ?

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
Barton Warnock
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 06:48:01 AM »
Why don't you email Kirby Warnock and ask him about it?  He might even have the rough draft.  Go to Big Bend Quarterly and you will find his email address.   While your at it send him the link to BigBendChat.com and maybe he will join us.... TWWG

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
k. warnock
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:20:38 AM »
tried to do just that last night , that site doesn't seem to work properly . i did find his email  adress @ border bandits.com ,and contacted him through that site this morning .we'll see what happens , i did invite him to join us @ b.b.chat .

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
Mr. Kirby Warnock's response reprinted here with his ok
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
Quote from: "Kirby Warnock"
Jim,
Thanks for contacting me. Unfortunately there are no plans to finish the book because a con artist pulled what is known as a "sweetheart scam" on my late uncle B.H., taking everything he owned.
I would invite you to read the entire story on my Web site, www.bigbendquarterl y.com
Click on the link under "hot topics" titled "A Death in The Desert" for the entire story.
The con artist involved, Rebecca Vogt, recently filed a half-million dollar lawsuit against me, so this thing is still going on.
It is a sad end to a good life of a good man who loved his wife and son. I get depressed just replying to your message.
Please share the story with everyone on your Big Bend chat group. If we shine the light on these skunks, perhaps they won't be able to do it to another elderly Texan.
Thanks,
Kirby F. Warnock
(blood relative of B.H. Warnock)

SHANEA

Actually...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 12:36:50 PM »
I actually found the story by going to the articles.
Have not had time to read it yet as it is quite long,  but, it is there.

Offline DonnaB

• Jack Rabbit
Kirby Warnock
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:46:55 PM »
I just read the article that Kirby has posted on his website about his Uncle, B.H., and I'm speechless.  My prayers go out to his family.

Offline Pecos 45

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Barton Warnock
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
Sorry to be so late to get to this site and reply to the questions about my late uncle, Dr. Barton H. Warnock.
To answer the first question, yes, B.H. (as the family called him) was working on a book, Wildflowers of Big Bend National Park at the time of his death. Unfortunately for everyone, a con artist named Rebecca Vogt, with the help of Monty Kimball, a crooked lawyer in Alpine, pulled off a "sweetheart scam," that left her in possession of EVERYTHING he owned.
I have detailed this sordid story on my web site www.bigbendquarterly.com in the "hot topics" section, "A Death in the Desert."
It is not a pretty picture.
To update you, Rebecca Vogt filed a million dollar lawsuit against me last year, but the judge ruled in my favor on a motion of summary judgment that I don't have anything to give her. She went through all of B.H.'s money, sold his house and his two rental properties and all of my late aunt's (Ruel Warnock's) possessions, including furniture and jewelry.
Ms. Vogt left Alpine a few months ago and has moved back to Austin.
There will be a special place in hell for her, and Monty Kimball, for taking advantage of an old man who was not totally in control of his faculties.
I urge you to read the story. I get upset justin writing this.

Offline bjbriggs

• Diamondback
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:02:46 PM »
They sure took advantage of Dr Warnock.  A lawyer with a briefcase can steal more than a thousand men with guns.

Offline sleepy

• Black Bear
  • i'm not a terrorist
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:20:08 PM »
Kirby, I am really sorry.  That is an awful situation.

It's never too late to be what you might have been-Geroge Elliot

Offline Pecos 45

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
It is indeed an awful situation, but what bothers me the most is that B.H. had a priceless collection of Big Bend photos and images he had collected since 1936. It was always the family's plan to donate them to either Sul Ross, or some archive where they could be shared with other folks doing research on the region.
I am more than irate that a lifetime of work went down the toilet so this woman could purchase a club cab pickup truck (with cash) and buy her son a new Jeep with her ill gotten gains.
B.H. was taking Aricept for Alzheimer's at the time this all happened, so she saw her opening and moved in.
I am unable to comprehend how people like this can live with themselves.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!