Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Boquillas

• 7 Replies

Offline rawles

• Kangaroo Rat
Boquillas
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:04 AM »
When the crossing at Boquillas is reopened, I would be interested in organizing a backcountry adventure beyond Boquillas for people to support the NEW local economy of Mexican guided tours.

If so, what would be people be most interesting in doing? A 4WD truck tour of local villages? A trip to the Spanish Presidio site in San Vicente? A weekend at a candelilla wax camp? I can try to get permission from CEMEX for a trip to the Del Carmens (El Pico), but that might be tough so early in the game!

The latest HOPE is that the crossing will reopen in May, but no one really knows when. My guess is that one day it will magically reopen. Keep you gear packed!

Rawles

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: Boquillas
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
The Del Carmens.

SHANEA

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
La Linda and the La Linda Church and also to break open a brand new bottle of Scotch with Homero.   Might even have to make it blue.

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
Rawles,

I might have been imagining things, but over spring break, Boquillas appeared to have some newer looking, possibly modular, housing added on the upper levels of the town? Perhaps I had too much sun that day...  :eusa_think:

Flash

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
La Linda and the La Linda Church and also to break open a brand new bottle of Scotch with Homero.   Might even have to make it blue.

I feel already kinda funny..... :19:

Now, I can see where you are trying to get. Let me see if i can pitch in with some ideas here:

In no particular order:

1.- Check out the very very Old (almost 350 years old) Spanish & English Haciendas...with living descendants, still manning the reins there. Those are breathtaking, in Valle Colombia.

2.- Check out El Tunnel...an amazing feit of engineering there.

3.- Visit the Totems at Cuesta de Malena, while there visit the ancient cave and Malena's Grave site. Set some flowers there.

4.-Visit the Marlboro commercial like plush valleys of Valle Colombia and the ancient religious caves of the Paleo Indians...no red buffalo here, we are talking serious artifacts and paintings sites.

5.- Visit Rancho Buena Vista and the tombs of the early English cattlemen and it's history. Hear the owners share in a bonfire the great history of their family and visit the cabins a top of Sierra La Encantada and look thru the window as the bears gather outside of the cabin for an early morning juniper breakfast. No topping this one.

6.- Check out the La Encantada, still operating, mine.

7.- Visit  Cuatro Palmas & Agua Chile mines...both an amazing sites.

8.- Get a top of Sierra La Babia, and visit the very first Spanish settlement (Presidio) still standing and check out the writtings on the wall...from the soldiers themselves. This is incredible.

9.- Visit the Villages: Norias de Boquillas, Jaboncillo El Grande, Boquillas del Carmen, San Vicente with it's local little museum, Ejido Las Piedras and the ONLY inland dam...with water. Believe it or not.

10.- Take on the adventure to go and visit the Puerto Rico mines..this is a tuffy just to get there. While there, gather enough cojones to go up the Burro Trail (You and Al did) and check out El Pico. I think this is the most absolute brutal hike there, but the most rewarding IMO.

11.- Dwell a little bit at Elvira's crack at the face of the Del Carmen's.

12.- Go up to El Jardin, on the Del Carmen's thru El Jardin's corridor with 4x4's..the ONLY way to go up there.

13.- Check out the   small trickles of water emanating from the Caņon del Diablo a top of the Del Carmen's.

14.- Treck on to Caņon del Colorado, where is the Sierra divide between Sierra del Burro and Sierra del Carmen. An amazing spot in the planet.

I am just covering here no more than 2.5 million hectares . There are tons and tons of places to check out, that you could not possibly do it in a lifetime.

15.- Check out paradise?...a pipe dream, but Maderas Del Carmen is certainly doable...but it would take time to get the proper permitts (CEMEX).

Absolutely no help from the Rangers any where, no Panther Junction and maps store or telephones. I promise you, no Restaurant at the Basin Lodge, Lots and lost of help from the folks who live there, and memories that will need an external drive just to store them in your brian.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:55:05 AM by homerboy2u »
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Online TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »
I would LOVE to get in on a trip!!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »

I feel already kinda funny..... :19:

Now, I can see where you are trying to get. Let me see if i can pitch in with some ideas here:

In no particular order:

1.- Check out the very very Old (almost 350 years old) Spanish & English Haciendas...with living descendants, still manning the reins there. Those are breathtaking, in Valle Colombia.

2.- Check out El Tunnel...an amazing feit of engineering there.

3.- Visit the Totems at Cuesta de Malena, while there visit the ancient cave and Malena's Grave site. Set some flowers there.

4.-Visit the Marlboro commercial like plush valleys of Valle Colombia and the ancient religious caves of the Paleo Indians...no red buffalo here, we are talking serious artifacts and paintings sites.

5.- Visit Rancho Buena Vista and the tombs of the early English cattlemen and it's history. Hear the owners share in a bonfire the great history of their family and visit the cabins a top of Sierra La Encantada and look thru the window as the bears gather outside of the cabin for an early morning juniper breakfast. No topping this one.

6.- Check out the La Encantada, still operating, mine.

7.- Visit  Cuatro Palmas & Agua Chile mines...both an amazing sites.

8.- Get a top of Sierra La Babia, and visit the very first Spanish settlement (Presidio) still standing and check out the writtings on the wall...from the soldiers themselves. This is incredible.

9.- Visit the Villages: Norias de Boquillas, Jaboncillo El Grande, Boquillas del Carmen, San Vicente with it's local little museum, Ejido Las Piedras and the ONLY inland dam...with water. Believe it or not.

10.- Take on the adventure to go and visit the Puerto Rico mines..this is a tuffy just to get there. While there, gather enough cojones to go up the Burro Trail (You and Al did) and check out El Pico. I think this is the most absolute brutal hike there, but the most rewarding IMO.

11.- Dwell a little bit at Elvira's crack at the face of the Del Carmen's.

12.- Go up to El Jardin, on the Del Carmen's thru El Jardin's corridor with 4x4's..the ONLY way to go up there.

13.- Check out the   small trickles of water emanating from the Caņon del Diablo a top of the Del Carmen's.

14.- Treck on to Caņon del Colorado, where is the Sierra divide between Sierra del Burro and Sierra del Carmen. An amazing spot in the planet.

I am just covering here no more than 2.5 million hectares . There are tons and tons of places to check out, that you could not possibly do it in a lifetime.

15.- Check out paradise?...a pipe dream, but Maderas Del Carmen is certainly doable...but it would take time to get the proper permitts (CEMEX).

Absolutely no help from the Rangers any where, no Panther Junction and maps store or telephones. I promise you, no Restaurant at the Basin Lodge, Lots and lost of help from the folks who live there, and memories that will need an external drive just to store them in your brian.

Homero, you are great ambassador!  Next time try to provide a comprehensive list, por favor . . .

Thanks amigo,
Al

P.S.  Rawles you might want to check a thread on your earlier post(s),  there might be an unanswered question.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
I can do that too...but knowing you, you are going to ask for waypoints and some of the pics are before I had a GPS...I have lots of them, FYI.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!