Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Border Patrol Gunfight in the Big Bend Region

• 95 Replies

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
Border Patrol Gunfight in the Big Bend Region
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:15:26 PM »
News is breaking about a sure-enough shootout that killed a Border patrol agent and badly wounded another in the Big Bend area.  Is this the eventuality that we all feared, the one about border violence finally reaching our desiccated Shangri-La, or is this another kind of shootout?

Frankly, I trust my BBC buddies who live out there far more than I trust the media.  I would appreciate hearing from you guys about this. 
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: Border Patrol Gunfight in the Big Bend Region
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
Here is another http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/11/19/border-patrol-agent-killed-another-serious-condition-texas/

This came up this week also.  It is a story about how our politicians still can't seem to get a grasp on how to control the border.  The Border Patrol Union is once again outing the govment for not taking care of business.  If this story is true, with the cooler weather of winter, we should have a bunch more illegals crossing the border, and released to live in a house near you.........or at least me

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/11/16/dhs-renewing-catch-release-texas-says-border-patrol-council/
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »
So far it looks like there is no information as to what happened.  All the way up on I-10.  Could be any number of things or people and not necessarily even border crossers.  Once again, I disregard anything from Breitbart "news".    :eusa_hand:

Sorry for the agents family.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Shocky1352

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »
No mention of gunplay in the articles. And Van Horn is over 200 miles away from Big Bend by car.

Do any of you know something more than what's in the article?

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Jeanette Harper, with the FBI's El Paso office,  said Sunday evening that contrary to reports from other news outlets there was no shooting and that a full account would not be released until Monday.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »
I have to add a real world data point: I've been interviewed twice by Breitbart reporters and both were hacks that were clearly interested in producing a pre-determined spin on the stories. They asked leading questions, ignored any of my answers that didn't fit their agenda, and misquoted me in the end. Now, mind you, I've also experienced the exact same thing from other "news reporters" of various ideological stripes. But of all the interviews I've participated in over the years, Breitbart was hands-down the least neutral or professional. I've become extremely suspicious of most news sources, simply because my personal experiences of various events have diverged so shockingly from the news reports of the same. The bottom line on almost any news media is "caveat emptor'.  Most media are simply selling click-bait or entertainment for the lowest-common-denominator. My heart goes out to the deceased and his family, but I think we're a long way from knowing what really happened. I hope the truth of the events, whatever it may be, will become clearer soon, and that a reasonable and just response is made.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Shocky1352

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:31:19 AM »
News is breaking about a sure-enough shootout that killed a Border patrol agent and badly wounded another in the Big Bend area.  Is this the eventuality that we all feared, the one about border violence finally reaching our desiccated Shangri-La, or is this another kind of shootout?

Frankly, I trust my BBC buddies who live out there far more than I trust the media.  I would appreciate hearing from you guys about this.

So far the only place I've seen mention of "gunfight" or "shootout" is in your post. Care to share your source? Nothing on BBC.com, or Fox News.

Offline nuggetf5

• Coyote
  • Currently hiking around Lawrence, KS
    • Mandolin Cafe
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Once again, I disregard anything from Breitbart "news".    :eusa_hand:

+1
Mandolin Cafe
Since 1995

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
Radio was saying something about large stones...

(Flash sent this from his HTC 831C.)

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »
The National Border Patrol Council is reporting the same thing as Brietbart.  Or visa versa,  http://www.bpunion.org/newsroom/224-in-memory-of/1885-border-patrol-agent-killed-and-another-agent-hospitalized-in-big-bend-sector

The truth can be discovered if you use the internet as a tool for research.  It's a shame many only look at their own perceived "safe and truthful" sources without questioning the info on it.  If a person believes or does not believe a story simply on the basis of where it came from, that person is no longer thinking for themselves, and is being controlled by someone else.  "Hi, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help".

That being said, the only one real truth of this world that I BELIEVE in was not spoken by a man.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/11/19/exclusive-illegal-aliens-killed-border-agent-crushing-face-skull-rocks-says-nbpc/

Please don't loose sight of the fact that a hero protecting our country was killed this weekend by criminal trespassers.  Please remember his family in your prayers.  Thanksgiving will no longer be same for them.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:03:32 AM by elhombre »
If other countries on the planet want to see America suffer and ultimately destroyed, who are they cheering for right now?  Trump, or the leftist democrats and their media supported hate machine?

Seek out the facts for yourself.  Begin by using Startpage.com,  not google.

May God Bless America!

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
We don't know what the facts are in this case yet, other than breitbart has a known history of publishing intentionally inflammatory fake news in situations like this. publishing those links enlightens no one.

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
No word yet down here on the actual border. I had initially heard it was a vehicle accident, which are all too common down here unfortunately.
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »

So far the only place I've seen mention of "gunfight" or "shootout" is in your post. Care to share your source? Nothing on BBC.com, or Fox News.

The first reports I read mentioned a shooting, one dead, and one injured.  I certainly did not mean to overstate. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:27:09 PM by dprather »
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!