Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Border Patrol Gunfight in the Big Bend Region

• 52 Replies

Offline marufo

• Roadrunner
Re: Border Patrol Gunfight in the Big Bend Region
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical about the "attack" story, so I want to also admit that it looks like that might have been what happened after all.
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) - Federal search warrants unsealed over the weekend indicate that the FBI is zeroing in on two suspects in the beating death of Border Patrol agent Rogelio Martinez and the assault of a second agent near Van Horn in late November.

According to the warrants, an informant came to federal agents with information that two brothers may be involved. KTSM is not identifying those brothers because they have not been charged. For identifying purposes, we are identifying them as Suspect 1 and Suspect 2.

The informant said a "coyote" who had recently smuggled illegal immigrants across the border advised that some of the immigrants within the group had spoken of assaulting the agents.

A second person, reportedly familiar with the brothers, identified the two men in the group by name to the informant. That person said the brothers assaulted the agents with rocks during the attack.

http://www.elpasoproud.com/news/local/el-paso-news/fbi-zeros-in-on-suspects-in-border-patrol-agent-death/876246479

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
I'll be the first to admit that I was skeptical about the "attack" story, so I want to also admit that it looks like that might have been what happened after all.
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) - Federal search warrants unsealed over the weekend indicate that the FBI is zeroing in on two suspects in the beating death of Border Patrol agent Rogelio Martinez and the assault of a second agent near Van Horn in late November.

According to the warrants, an informant came to federal agents with information that two brothers may be involved. KTSM is not identifying those brothers because they have not been charged. For identifying purposes, we are identifying them as Suspect 1 and Suspect 2.

The informant said a "coyote" who had recently smuggled illegal immigrants across the border advised that some of the immigrants within the group had spoken of assaulting the agents.

A second person, reportedly familiar with the brothers, identified the two men in the group by name to the informant. That person said the brothers assaulted the agents with rocks during the attack.

http://www.elpasoproud.com/news/local/el-paso-news/fbi-zeros-in-on-suspects-in-border-patrol-agent-death/876246479

Could be; we'll have to wait and see what comes out of this. Keep in mind there's reward money to be had here (though it will require verifiable information to be paid).

I would find it very interesting to read a transcript of radio calls to/from the two agents in the minutes before loss of contact. Typically, contacts with suspects are called in to dispatch. These guys don't operate in a vacuum so there must be some radio chatter about where they were and what they were doing.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »
Yeah, I still harbor a degree of skepticism...

Offline marufo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
Good article from the San Antonio Express-News that provides a big-picture look at the Big Bend Sector and how it has historically differed from other parts of the border.
For agents working in the wide-open, lightly-populated Big Bend region, which includes more than 500 miles of Mexican border but is not known for violence, Martinez’s mysterious death was a gut shock.

“Whatever it is, it’s a bad deal, but what is it?” asked Supervisory Agent Shane Jahn, 43, last week in Marfa.

In Marfa, Border Patrol Special Operations Supervisor Rush Carter said if evidence confirms the two agents were attacked, the working dynamic between agents in the Big Bend and the people they track and apprehend daily will change radically.

Typically, he said, those caught sneaking through the brush either surrender or run, but are not aggressive toward agents.

“We have not had the level of violence, assaults or confrontations we’ve seen in Arizona or South Texas. We have encountered criminal aliens, backpackers, who resisted, but no agent has been assaulted and injured, much less killed,” he added.

“If it was an assault, the gentleman’s agreement has been broken,” he said. “We will have to rethink a lot of things. We, as agents in the sector, are all waiting to hear the conclusion of the investigation.”

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/On-watch-for-smugglers-drug-runners-in-the-vast-12416884.php#photo-14674118

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
“If it was an assault, the gentleman’s agreement has been broken,”

WTF?
The older I get, the more I realize what freedom really means.  May God bless America

Offline Txlj

• Coyote
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
elhombre, agreed.

Sent from flat land

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 12:42:18 PM »
 "backpackers, who resisted"...hummmmmmmmmmmm
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
“If it was an assault, the gentleman’s agreement has been broken,”

WTF?

Reference to unwritten rules and codes of conduct that go way back. File it under "understandings."
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2018 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!