Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Lajitas to Presidio

• 12 Replies

BigBendHiker

Lajitas to Presidio
« on: April 21, 2006, 07:01:56 AM »
We are thinking about adding on to our summer trip to Big Bend by making the drive from Lajitas to Presidio.  Have heard it is quite scenic.  Has anyone made that drive?  If so, please share comments.  What places are good to eat at in Presidio?

BBH

Offline Desert Rat

• Diamondback
Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:26:43 AM »
The drive from Lajitas to Presidio is very scenic.  Like most the Big Bend area, the road is hilly and winding, and not a place to be in a hurry.  I am posting a couple of pictures of Madera Canyon from the top of the "Big Hill" a few miles west of Lajitas.

Offline Bobcat

• Mountain Lion
Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »
That stretch of road is a must drive.  One of the best in the US of A :!:
Location Location Location

Offline Patti

• Roadrunner
Re: Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:58:43 AM »
Quote from: "BigBendHiker"
 What places are good to eat at in Presidio?

BBH

Don't know about Presidio, but La Kiva in Terlingua should be on your list.

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Day tripper
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:11:45 AM »
We continued west on 170 through Presidio to Ruidosa, went north on 2810 through Pinto Canyon to Marfa, then south on 67 to 169, then south to Redford, then east back to the park. This little excursion took up a full day. It was a great way to beat the heat, as we spent most of the time in the truck.

Didn't eat in any restaraunts. We stopped along the side of the road and grilled some chicken.

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:36:55 AM »
Once went west from the park to Presidio, ate lunch across the border in Ojinaga, then North up through Shafter then on to Marfa (great drive by the way)....then over to Alpine....North to Ft. Davis for dinner...up to the McDonald for a star party...then booked it back down to the Park.  Got back to our camp in the Basin at about 2am.  It was a good day.
WATER, It does a body good.

SHANEA

Re: Day tripper
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:38:29 AM »
Quote from: "Lemming_of_the_BDA"
Didn't eat in any restaraunts.

Great Drive.  Lots to see and do along the way.  

1.  Stop at BBRSP office in Lajitas and stimulate the economy, weaken your pocket book, and buy some trinkets to help out TPWD.  Great place.

2.  Be sure and take the prereq pictures and the t-p's.

3.  Stop at the various turn-outs on the way through the pass and marvel at it all.

4.  MUST stop and do Closed Canyon.  THIS IS A MUST!  Even if it's 115 out, it will still be cool in the canyon.  I wouldn't suggest going in there during a rain storm, although it might be pretty cool if you lived to talk about it...  :lol:

5.  Stop at Fort Leaton and check it out.  It's really cool.  My future home in the West Texas Trans Pecos Big Bend Region will be based on this.

6.  Have lunch at El Alamo in Presidio.  Enchalades are outstanding.

7.  Fuel up and grocery up at Beazos in Presidio.

8.  Got time, doubt it, cross into Mexico - at least get out on the Intl. Bridge.

9.  Drive on up to Ruidosa, Candelaria, and Take Palo Pinto road up to Marfa.

SHANEA

Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 09:41:49 AM »
Quote from: "bdann"
Marfa (great drive by the way)

I hope you stopped and saw the Marfa lights.  That man in the distant field gets tired of waving his lantern if there are no visitors.  Sometimes his wife and kids are withhim to add a few more lantern lights.  A little sensor in the viewing station alerts him when visitors are present so he doesn't have to wave the lantern all the time.

BigBendHiker

Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 11:27:04 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for this great input!  I can taste that plate of enchiladas at Presidio already.  Will take lots of pics when we make the trip and post our trip report.

Again, thanks to all!  What a cool website this is!!!

BBH

Offline bdann

• Creosote
  • Mountain Lion
Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 11:32:43 AM »
Quote from: "SHANEA"
Quote from: "bdann"
Marfa (great drive by the way)

I hope you stopped and saw the Marfa lights.  That man in the distant field gets tired of waving his lantern if there are no visitors.  Sometimes his wife and kids are withhim to add a few more lantern lights.  A little sensor in the viewing station alerts him when visitors are present so he doesn't have to wave the lantern all the time.

Yea, I saw them on a previous trip.  fun stuff...
WATER, It does a body good.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »
beautiful drive  8)

SHANEA

Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 01:16:24 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"
beautiful drive

Outstanding Picture

Ray52

Lajitas to Presidio
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:59 PM »
The drive is spectacular but I wish i had Shane's restaurant reviews before I made the trip.  There's a movie set between the road and the river which is also interesting.  I shared it with a trio of roadrunners when I was there in February.  Here's a picture taken there at the river and looking west.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!