Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

SHAFTER

• 11 Replies

SHANEA

SHAFTER
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:04 PM »
Has anyone done any exploring or anything around Shafter?  Are there any legal accesses, etc. into the old mining areas, etc.   8)

BigBendHiker

SHAFTER
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:28:35 PM »
Would love to explore that area...the mining industry up there intrigues me as well.

I did find a couple of references on Shafter and the Shafter Mining District:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/hns37.html

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/gps2.html

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
SHAFTER
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
Has anyone visited lately? I'm interested in checking the place out myself.
The Andromeda Strain is one of my favorite movies.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

SHANEA

STRAIN
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »
I will 2nd the motion on Andromedea Strain.  Got it on DVD.  Watch it quite often actually.  I really like the scene in which the recon plane swoops low over the town.   :lol:

Offline uh_clem

• Texas Banded Gecko
  • Black Bear
SHAFTER
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »
I can't pick one part I like better than the rest of it. It's just cool overall. I like the book as well.
Did you know Michael Crichton has a cameo? In the scene where they come to get Hall out of the operating room, he's the one wearing scrubs behind the guy talking to Hall.
I'll be the jump start for the car parked in your mind, 'Cause you left the lights on all night long.

SHANEA

Major
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 07:38:37 PM »
I always liked Major Manchek picking up the secure phone and calling for an alert.

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
SHAFTER
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »
Quote from: "BigBendHiker"
Would love to explore that area...the mining industry up there intrigues me as well.

I did find a couple of references on Shafter and the Shafter Mining District:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/hns37.html

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/SS/gps2.html

Read your refferences BBH...they're good. Man, so much history in that area....what an opportunity.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline dave2

• Diamondback
    • http://www.descant.tcu.edu
Mad Dog Writers Tried to Buy the Town
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 04:14:57 PM »
Back in the late 1960s or early 1970s, a group of Texas writers called the Mad Dogs (most well-know of whom is Larry L. King--aka Best Little Whorehouse King) answered an ad that the town was for sale for $60,000. A bunch of these hippie looking writers showed up to buy the place, but after taking a look at them, the mayor (can't remember his name) declared that the price was a typo and that the real price was $600,000.  That was too much for the Mad Dogs who retreated to Austin and took up with Willie and his Outlaw musicians.  Based on the last time I went through the town, I think $60,000 would be about the right price.

SHANEA

Check...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
Pay to the order of?

Offline txrounder

• Diamondback
Shafter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »
Stopped by there a few years ago after seeing a "romance novel" set in Shafter. A depressing little village with "no trespassing" signs everywhere! Though they do have a pretty cool old cemetary for those who like that sort of thing. A large (old) series of display boards with hundreds of old photos of the "old days" and old residents at the entrance.
Margaritas and Motrin- It's not just for breakfast anymore.

BigBendHiker

Re: Shafter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »
Quote from: "txrounder"
Stopped by there a few years ago after seeing a "romance novel" set in Shafter. A depressing little village with "no trespassing" signs everywhere! Though they do have a pretty cool old cemetary for those who like that sort of thing. A large (old) series of display boards with hundreds of old photos of the "old days" and old residents at the entrance.

We will be passing through Shafter in early June...looking forward to it...

BBH

SHANEA

Tad da tat da
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 10:32:44 PM »
Every time I see the word SHAFTer I think of the theme song from the orig. movie.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!