Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break at Big Bend

• 6 Replies

Anonymous

Spring Break at Big Bend
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »
Anyone know how busy it gets for Spring Break at Big Bend? I usually come the last week in March, which by then is not too busy at all. This year I may be there Mid-March.

Offline ChuckinSA

• Kangaroo Rat
    • http://www.bikemojo.com/speak
Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:54 PM »
There are more people than usual, but it shouldn't be too bad. I may be there around the 17th - 19th.
“I feel sorry for people who don’t drink. When they wake up in the morning, that’s as good as they’re going to feel all day. “
~Frank Sinatra

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
I'll never go to BiBe again during spring break. Went there in '76 with my brother. Not bad! Went back in '94 or '95. It was like they were having a day-after-Christmas sale at Wal-Mart. Extremely crowded. And most of the people there weren't hard core Benders. They just wanted an out-of-the-way place to drink and raise hell.

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »
you won't be able to get a developed site thats for sure, and backcountry sites will be short as well. most of the volunteers say the adults are the worst part of Spring Break, most college kids that would spend their time in BB are looking for adventures, not alcohol  :oops:

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:29:52 AM »
Spring Break in the Bender sucks.  For people like myself who like the solitude and slowness of the place....spring break in the bend brings way too much of what i try to get away from when i'm there!  hustle, bustle, whining, bitching, etc. yuck... [-(

i've been there 2 times during spring break and i'll never go again.  The first time I went during spring break was in 96. I took my then 14 year old brother and his best friend for a hiking trip.  When we got there, the only thing left was zone camping and there were only 2 zones left in the entire park!  Now it doesn't get much more crowded than that!  After I secured my zone, there was only 1 zone left which got taken by the guy standing behind me....lol....the second time was a complete disaster..nothing was left to camp in....so i just tucked myself away into one of my secret corners that night.  All the summits and trails are just packed with people, noise, ewe...i get depressed just thinking about it!  enough of this talk about spring break!  if you want a good time, do some desert exploring in April and Mtn Exploring in July or August! you'll have the place to yourself!

Lemming_of_the_BDA

Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 12:45:38 PM »
Quote from: "01ACRViper"
most of the volunteers say the adults are the worst part of Spring Break, most college kids that would spend their time in BB are looking for adventures, not alcohol  :oops:

I wasn't trying to dog college folks. A few years ago, there was a murder at the Nugent Mtn. campsite. It was some drunk ijits that wandered over from the Terlingua chili cook-off, got into an argument, and one of them wound up dead. This is an extreme example, but this is the element I had in mind.
Most of the young people I meet there have the same reverence for the place that I do. Regards! 8)

Offline 01ACRViper

• Mountain Lion
    • GRB Photography
Spring Break at Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:09 PM »
Quote from: "Lemming_of_the_BDA"
Quote from: "01ACRViper"
most of the volunteers say the adults are the worst part of Spring Break, most college kids that would spend their time in BB are looking for adventures, not alcohol  :oops:

I wasn't trying to dog college folks. A few years ago, there was a murder at the Nugent Mtn. campsite. It was some drunk ijits that wandered over from the Terlingua chili cook-off, got into an argument, and one of them wound up dead. This is an extreme example, but this is the element I had in mind.
Most of the young people I meet there have the same reverence for the place that I do. Regards! 8)

no offense taken, just trying to defend my people  :oops:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!