Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring has sprung in BB

• 7 Replies

Offline vbb

• Roadrunner
    • VisitBigBend.com
Spring has sprung in BB
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »
The Big Bend bluebonnets are making a great show this year, and many more flowers are sure to follow with the winter rains we had this year.

I love Spring visits to the Big Bend!  The weather is awesome right now, 70's and clear.

Here are some photos of the wildflowers:
http://www.visitbigbend.com/site09/en/features/galleries/375.html
VisitBigBend.com - The best Big Bend resource on the web, with blogs, news, weather, and tools for planning your trip to the Big Bend.

Offline CactusFlower

• Coyote
Re: Spring has sprung in BB
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
Beautiful!  Hope they are still there when I come in 2 weeks!

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:18 PM »
Beautiful!  Hope they are still there when I come in 2 weeks!

They were just starting to come out last week.  In a couple of weeks they should be even better!

Al

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:27:04 AM »
Wow, a lot earlier than I expected.  I was worried that my April 1-10 trip would be too early for the bluebonnets, now I hope it isn't too late.  :eusa_pray:
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline Lorax

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
Just a few bluebonnets so far in Castolon.  Some Yucca flowers along the Old Maverick Road.  Little "lace-spine" cacti blooming along the Mule Ears Spring Trail.  Lots of buds showing all around.

Ted

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
I was planning my first visit mid April.  Sounds like it should be moved up a few weeks.  When does the spring break crowd thin down?
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline Tone

• Jack Rabbit
    • The Adventure Continues
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
I saw some bluebonnets, two days ago, along the roadside between the tunnel and Rio Grande Village.  There were enough to catch my attention, but not enough to use the word "prolific."  I stopped to take a few obligatory pictures.

I also saw some in the wash by that long bridge on the way into/out of Rio Grande Village.

Offline vbb

• Roadrunner
    • VisitBigBend.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
The Bluebonnets are best on the River Road through the State Park.  They can be overwhelming over there!

Spring Break usually dies down the last week of March, so early April might be a good time to make a trip.  Just in case, be sure to make reservations for lodging.

VisitBigBend.com - The best Big Bend resource on the web, with blogs, news, weather, and tools for planning your trip to the Big Bend.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!