Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

I Just Can't Stay Away!

• 29 Replies

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 07:08:04 AM »
Quote from: "randallon"
Was thinking about the Starlight Theatre???  Maybe too "touristy", huh?
Anyways, not to sound trite, but I'm sure BB can and will exist somewhere within the realm of my expectations, but I do believe it will be a destination I'll be returning to. Hoping not to be too distracted along the way...to camp at Monahans State Park on the way, Alpine, Marathon, and what about the Chinati Hot Springs west of Big Bend Ranch ???

The Starlight is great! I've always had great food and a good time there.Never been to the Chinati Hot Springs, in Marathon stop at Shirley's Burnt Biscuit.....fried apple pie will melt in your mouth! Shirley is adorable too.. :D

Offline Roger, Roger

• Black Bear
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »
I do believe it will be a destination I'll be returning to. Hoping not to be too distracted along the way...to camp at Monahans State Park on the way, Alpine, Marathon, and what about the Chinati Hot Springs west of Big Bend Ranch ???

If you're coming down I-20, I would drive straight through Monahans and go into Fort Davis (hang a left at Pecos).  The Davis Mountains State Park is WAY more scenic...the dunes are OK, but I wouldn't waste a night there.  I don't think the Chinati Hot Springs are great either, but it could be worth it depending on how much time you have.

randallon (no login)

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 02:29:57 PM »
I'll be staying at the Dunes more for a matter of convenience, traveling solo from OKC, I'm not sure I could drive much further without some R@R, and Monahans seemed like a nice halfway stop...and I'll get to test my new air mattress.  I've probably OVER researched the BB Area, and won't get to do half the things I'm planning on doing, but being by my lonesome, at least I'll get to make ALL the decisions!

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
Quote from: "randallon (no login)"
I'll be staying at the Dunes more for a matter of convenience, traveling solo from OKC, I'm not sure I could drive much further without some R@R, and Monahans seemed like a nice halfway stop...and I'll get to test my new air mattress.  I've probably OVER researched the BB Area, and won't get to do half the things I'm planning on doing, but being by my lonesome, at least I'll get to make ALL the decisions!

Cool, this is a solo kinda weekend it seems for alot of us! I hope we all see kitty's! :D  Hey "Randallon", whenever I look at your name it reminds me of a Led Zeppelin song, LOL.."now's the time the time is now"

Offline randallon

• Kangaroo Rat
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 12:40:02 AM »
Gee...I'm surprised any youngsters here would know much of Zeppelin, let alone the lyrics to songs of the 70's!!!  Anyways, that's ME!  Rambling on, to the next adventure, be it where it may.  LOOKING forward to getting there and fulfilling all my wildest expectations. Ramble on....

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:15 AM »
So what are your plans for your first trip to BBNP Randallon?
I would skip Chinati Hot Springs for now - too far away.   Are you backpacking, car camping, kayaking, or what?  Sometime (not necessarily this trip) you should take a raft trip down one of the canyons, see the South Rim,  go to the Hot Springs, climb Emory Peak, camp in Laguna Meadows, and hike to The Window (be sure to take a detour up the cut-off trail and climb up to the rim).   If you have been lurking around you probably have a good plan already - please tell!   ... TWWG

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 06:58:08 AM »
Gee...I'm surprised any youngsters here would know much of Zeppelin, let alone the lyrics to songs of the 70's!!!  Anyways, that's ME!  Rambling on, to the next adventure, be it where it may.  LOOKING forward to getting there and fulfilling all my wildest expectations. Ramble on....

Gee us 19 yr old's DO have classic rock station's to catch up on that old skool stuff! (Ahem) :roll:

Yeah, what TWWG said too....whatcha planz? 8)

Offline randallon

• Kangaroo Rat
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 01:27:04 PM »
Well folks...not really sure of what all to do, getting there first would be nice. I've got my trusty fourwheel drive Tracker and enough gear and food and supplies to get me through for a while. Never backpacked, I like setting up camp in remote areas that only determined drivers and four wheel drive vehicles can reach, but I'm not above camping with "others"..
Few years back I climed El Cap in Guadalupe NP, so Emory Peak may be interesting, and I've spent many trips in Utah hiking the canyons, so areas in around the River may interest me, such as the Closed Canyon on the south side of Big Bend Ranch State Park. And I've researched a lot of info on Terlingua and Study Butte, (a guy's gotta have a cold one and some entertainment once in a while!)  So I guess you could say I'm prepared for a lot, will be up to most anything, but I'm sure I won't be dissapointed. I have recently lost my job, (thank you General Motors) so I'm kinda in a situation where I can come and go as I please for a while!!!!

Offline Roy

• Mountain Lion
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »
I think most would agree that the South Rim beats the heck out of Emory Peak.  Longer, but a great loop trail.
Several excellent desert trails;  Mule Ears, Apache Canyon, Dog Canyon.
Several that transition from desert to mountain:  Pine Canyon, Ward Spring, Blue Creek.
Canyon hiking in Utah is different than BBNP.  Most of these BBNP canyons are relatively small.  The bigger ones along the Rio Grande are best seen on a float trip;  there are trails to overlooks, but they're pretty isolated and tough hiking.  Apache Canyon trail also takes you to the canyon rim, not into the canyon.
Banta Shut In trail takes you through Estufa Canyon for most of it's length;  I've never done it but those who have like it.  Blue Creek trail runs through Red Rock canyon and connects with the South Rim trail. Closed Canyon is also nice, and much shorter.

Offline randallon

• Kangaroo Rat
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2006, 08:53:08 PM »
In regards to BBRSP I think I meant to say "Rancheria", which is like a nine something mile loop from the River Road, scenic and interesting, from what I have researched. A lot of what I have planned will depend on the availability of campsites, since I won't be backpacking into the primitive areas. The BBNP website kinda cautions against staying near the river sites, as there can be unsavory types hanging around and causing mischeif???

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2006, 09:14:43 PM »
In regards to BBRSP I think I meant to say "Rancheria", which is like a nine something mile loop from the River Road, scenic and interesting, from what I have researched. A lot of what I have planned will depend on the availability of campsites, since I won't be backpacking into the primitive areas. The BBNP website kinda cautions against staying near the river sites, as there can be unsavory types hanging around and causing mischeif???

Are you talking about the Rancheria's Canyon hike, or the Rancheria's Loop? we're talking a difference of 10 miles....prolly the first.....this is the first time you've backpacked a long hike? Hmmm....I wouldn't do BBRSP/. Closed Canyon would be fine, but I would suggest sticking to the Ntl Park for your first time. Lotsa nice hikes there....do South Rim...well marked, very rewarding all the way.... :D Up to you, get the newest Parent book and decide.... :wink:

Offline randallon

• Kangaroo Rat
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2006, 11:00:15 PM »
Aw heck.....I guess I'll just play it safe and stay at the Gauge Motel and drink coffee all day with the ol' geezers...You're right, I'm gettin too old for this sh#*!!!

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2006, 11:11:01 PM »
Aw heck.....I guess I'll just play it safe and stay at the Gauge Motel and drink coffee all day with the ol' geezers...You're right, I'm gettin too old for this sh#*!!!

Say whaa? :?  You've got to be kidding me......state of mind (ol geezer?), the Gage is only good for pictures and romantic liasons......also makes a good Chicken Poblano soup, they have a taxiderme'ed Puma in one room....petted him many times :D

Offline randallon

• Kangaroo Rat
I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 12:13:01 AM »
Okay, then, the Marathon Motel & RV?  And after that, I'll head out to the Starlight Theater and really get brave...

chisos_muse

I Just Can't Stay Away!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 07:37:26 AM »
Okay, then, the Marathon Motel & RV?  And after that, I'll head out to the Starlight Theater and really get brave...

LOL, the Gage is very nice.....I meant you need to move on from there and go to the park! Don't just stay there and drink coffee the whole time, silly... :lol:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!