Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

2 Night/3 Day Photog Scouting Trip 12/25-27/2009

• 36 Replies

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • MilesOfTexas Photography
Re: 2 Night/3 Day Photog Scouting Trip 12/25-27/2009
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
Ha Ha  Camera Gear!  You should have seen me going down to the Window with my Manfrotto tripod clipped to my day pack, swinging like a donkey's tail.  And me carrying my camera with my Canon 70-200 + 2x extender in hopes of seeing a bear!  Really my Sigma 10-20 and a tripod is all I need but I just can't leave that 70-200 in the truck.
I actually carried that 70-200 up the Pinnacles Trail to Colima Trail and down  Laguna Medows trail (for a total of 8.5 miles) I missed the rim by about 5 miles but just too much for a day hike for an old codger like me.

Ha-ha, I hear you on that!  I have a Lowepro Dryzone 200 and it is plum full, if not overfull.  As I upgrade glass to L lenses, it seems to double in weight (thank goodness I only need to upgrade one more lens ... isn't that always the story though?).  Thankfully though, my tripod fits very securely to it, and on the center back instead of on the side, which was one of my picky requirements.  The problem is, I just can't seem to leave any of it behind, because if I do, what I left behind is what I need.  :icon_wink:

One thought that I had was the wear the Lowepro on the front and a hiking pack on my back, but that would be a lot of weight, not to mention, getting up if I fell could prove interesting.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:21:16 PM by MilesOfTexas »
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Good photos and good report. Your first trip really sets the tone for your love of Big Bend. It sounds like you had a good one, despite the ankle, and will be a repeat customer for life :icon_lol:

...from the park entrance to Panther Junction was over 25 miles. I had to use the bathroom really bad, so that 25 mile trek felt like it took forever.

Actually, depending on how you look at it, you have a 25 mile continuous rest room (one that I've used on many occassion) :icon_wink:

...It was extremely cold, in the lower teens, and I found it very hard to make changes to my camera with my gloves on, so I found myself taking them off and putting them on very frequently...

If you "walk the scene" while you're shooting (good practice regardless of temp.), that will help warm you up. I've shot a lot in very cold weather, and it sucks to stand still for a long while. I tend to move around a lot to find shots.

...I headed over to Santa Elena Canyon, which is eight miles west of Castalon.  The Sierra del Carmen Mountains are huge, towering and sheer vertical mountains, and an awesome site to see.  At Santa Elena Canyon, the Rio Grande river cuts through the mountains...

The mountains there are the Sierra Ponce. The Sierra del Carmens are off to the east of the park.

...Here again, I messed up because I left my light meter at home by accident, so I wasn't able to calculate the exposure time correctly and was guessing...

You don't need a light meter. What you can do is take a test shot at a very high ISO and wide aperture. For example, shoot at f/2.8 and ISO 3200. If you get a good exposure at 1 second for example, then re-calculate for a different aperture and ISO. In this example if you moved to f/8 and ISO 100, then the equivalent exposure time would be 8 stops longer: 256 seconds.

After the sunset, I took the long trip back to the campsite.  I am happy I was taking it easy because some feral hogs ran out in the road in front of me and I was able to stop in time.  There were a bunch of them in single file, so there wouldn't have been a way to swerve to avoid them.

Hogs? Or javelinas? They are different beasts. I don't know of any hogs in the park.

Thanks Bill!  TJ Avery's photos are fantastic, and it would be an honor to get together with him sometime.  Thanks for the clarification as well  

Thanks Jesse. Sometime in the future I'm going to have some sort of group shoot/workshop thing. Probably 2011. We'll see...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:54:01 AM by tjavery »

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
Good photos and good report. Your first trip really sets the tone for your love of Big Bend. It sounds like you had a good one, despite the ankle, and will be a repeat customer for life :icon_lol:

You are absolutely correct!!!  :icon_biggrin:

Actually, depending on how you look at it, you have a 25 mile continuous rest room (one that I've used on many occassion) :icon_wink:

This is true, but when I saw the warning signs about speed limits being enforced by radar, I thought to myself, "Umm, gee, wonder if someone would be watching."  After being there for a couple of days, I feel safer about that now, ha-ha.

If you "walk the scene" while you're shooting (good practice regardless of temp.), that will help warm you up. I've shot a lot in very cold weather, and it sucks to stand still for a long while. I tend to move around a lot to find shots.

I was trying to be a 'good photographer' per se and keep my camera on my tripod, but you can bet I will be on the move next time, depending of course on shutter speed.

...I headed over to Santa Elena Canyon, which is eight miles west of Castalon.  The Sierra del Carmen Mountains are huge, towering and sheer vertical mountains, and an awesome site to see.  At Santa Elena Canyon, the Rio Grande river cuts through the mountains...

The mountains there are the Sierra Ponce. The Sierra del Carmens are off to the east of the park.

Oh, thanks for the clarification!  Is there a detailed map that lists what is what?  I hate calling something 'unknown', or worse yet, by an incorrect name.

...Here again, I messed up because I left my light meter at home by accident, so I wasn't able to calculate the exposure time correctly and was guessing...

You don't need a light meter. What you can do is take a test shot at a very high ISO and wide aperture. For example, shoot at f/2.8 and ISO 3200. If you get a good exposure at 1 second for example, then re-calculate for a different aperture and ISO. In this example if you moved to f/8 and ISO 100, then the equivalent exposure time would be 8 stops longer: 256 seconds.

Awesome tip!  I will practice a few shots using this method.  :icon_biggrin:

After the sunset, I took the long trip back to the campsite.  I am happy I was taking it easy because some feral hogs ran out in the road in front of me and I was able to stop in time.  There were a bunch of them in single file, so there wouldn't have been a way to swerve to avoid them.

Hogs? Or javelinas? They are different beasts. I don't know of any hogs in the park.

Javelinas is correct.  Darn hogs are overrunning our ranch, so I had hog on my mind.

Thanks Bill!  TJ Avery's photos are fantastic, and it would be an honor to get together with him sometime.  Thanks for the clarification as well  

Thanks Jesse. Sometime in the future I'm going to have some sort of group shoot/workshop thing. Probably 2011. We'll see...

If you do, sign me up!  Hopefully by then I will have a few visits under my belt.
"I have an excellent profession, but I don't enjoy it near as much as I do when I am in the heart of the wilderness, surrounded by marvelous creations, and efforting to capture what I see and feel so I may share it with others."

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline East Texan

• Diamondback
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »

The problem is, I just can't seem to leave any of it behind, because if I do, what I left behind is what I need.  :icon_wink:

Ansel Adams said "If you own more than one lens, you will always have the wrong one on the camera"  - How true.
Friends don't let friends shoot JPEGs

If it doesn't stick you, sting you, or bite you, then it must be a rock.

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
Ansel Adams said "If you own more than one lens, you will always have the wrong one on the camera"  - How true.

Ah yes, I concur!

-Me 09/12/2011

Offline African

• Jack Rabbit
  • No worries
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »
Great Job MOT!! Your pictures are amazing!

I've been away these last three weeks and am kinda late on the cudos. Keep it up and I look forward to more of your pics.

FYI: I just bought the digital photography book by scott kelby.
Beatings will continue until morale increases

Offline MilesOfTexas

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »
Great Job MOT!! Your pictures are amazing!

I've been away these last three weeks and am kinda late on the cudos. Keep it up and I look forward to more of your pics.

FYI: I just bought the digital photography book by scott kelby.

Thanks African!  I appreciate your kind words, and will have more after my April trip  :icon_biggrin:

-Me 09/12/2011

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!