Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

9/8/2013 Trip Report

• 12 Replies

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
9/8/2013 Trip Report
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
I was at a wedding in Marathon this past weekend (best wedding location ever), so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to Big Bend. A friend of mine who was also attending the wedding wanted to go, so we headed out Sunday afternoon.  Since he had never been before, and we had some time constraints, I figured a short backpacking Trip around the rims and up Emory would be perfect. 

The weather was great.  We got rained on twice (no better way to keep cool!), and from the rim, we could always see rain falling somewhere in the park.  at one point on the LM trail, we heard thunder from multiple directions.  It was cloudy during the day, but the visibility was surprisingly good.  There was always a breeze, and I don't know it the temps ever got above 90 (If I'd known it would be this nice, I would've headed to the desert).   At night, the clouds vanished and the stars came out. 

In addition to all the major Chisos trails, we also hiked up pt 7070 behind the LW campsites, which provided some views of a part of the Chisos I've never really seen before.  I could probably spend a whole day exploring the ridges above cattail canyon. 

There were big pools in Boot canyon that I would've had no qualms filtering from had I not overpacked (but it wasn't running).  At this point, we were hurrying to make Emory before sunset (it was really hard to pull ourselves away from the NE rim, so we didn't check out boot spring. 

All in all, a wonderful trip.

Offline steelfrog

• Mountain Lion
Re: 9/8/2013 Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
"In addition to all the major Chisos trails, we also hiked up pt 7070 behind the LW campsites, which provided some views of a part of the Chisos I've never really seen before.  I could probably spend a whole day exploring the ridges above cattail canyon."

Indeed!

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
All in all, a wonderful trip.
Sounds great! I hope one of you took a camera...

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
Once I actually unpack, I'll put some pictures up.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »
Once I actually unpack, I'll put some pictures up.
Well, ok, but no doing laundry first!!! Priorities, man, priorities!

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
Sitting on the South Rim

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
Great to hear that you could see it raining all around the park.  Looking forward to the pictuers, thanks.  I will make popcorn.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
Rain over the Rosillos

Cactus growing out of a juniper

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
View from LW1.  You can see the remnants of the earlier storm that rained on us behind Pulliam.

Offline TheWildWestGuy

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
LW1 is one of my favorite backcountry campsites in the Chisos.  It has everything - shade, views, wildlife and in the evening you can walk down in the grassy meadows and explore around by moonlight.  During wet periods you can resupply water from the upper reaches of cattail canyon slightly downhill from LW3 which can sometimes be a flowing stream but is more often dry.   You can also follow the ridge behind LW1 and will find trail fragments of a much earlier trail that looks to me like it went down the ridge flanking the basin.   This might be what is referred to as the old "Ward Mountain Trail" but it's hard to tell.   I have never been more than about 2/3 mile down this ridge but plan to go back someday and explore further.   You could make a basecamp at LW1 and go in multiple directions in search of adventure and exploration.   TWWG

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
LW1 is one of my favorite backcountry campsites in the Chisos.  It has everything - shade, views, wildlife and in the evening you can walk down in the grassy meadows and explore around by moonlight.  During wet periods you can resupply water from the upper reaches of cattail canyon slightly downhill from LW3 which can sometimes be a flowing stream but is more often dry.   You can also follow the ridge behind LW1 and will find trail fragments of a much earlier trail that looks to me like it went down the ridge flanking the basin.   This might be what is referred to as the old "Ward Mountain Trail" but it's hard to tell.   I have never been more than about 2/3 mile down this ridge but plan to go back someday and explore further.   You could make a basecamp at LW1 and go in multiple directions in search of adventure and exploration.   TWWG

I agree.....a most excellent site.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
I stumbled upon that trail when I was admiring our view above our camp.  The sun was setting, so I didn't follow it too far.  Yet another thing to explore next time.

Offline DuneYeti

• Roadrunner
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
View from LW1.  You can see the remnants of the earlier storm that rained on us behind Pulliam.

That's a nice one. :great:
"The less you want, the richer you are."

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!