Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

A Chisos Mountain Summer Hike June 2016

• 29 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
A Chisos Mountain Summer Hike June 2016
« on: June 18, 2016, 01:31:28 AM »
Because I was so tardy the last time, I decided to get this down while the details are still fresh. Hope you enjoy!

http://mirrormagic.com/2016/06/18/chisos-mountain-summer-hike/

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:54:39 PM by badknees »
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: A Chisos Mountain Summer Hike June 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 05:04:38 AM »
Thanks for feeding my addiction!  :great:

You got some really nice shots!

Offline fencepost200

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 05:29:58 AM »
After our Memorial Day weekend float trip, we spent our last night at the hotel in the Basin. During the night, a pretty intense thunderstorm came through  bringing with it a lot of hail, rain, and lighting. I bet your lighting photos were "exciting" to capture!!  Thanks for the great trip report and the wonderful pictures.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 07:22:15 AM »
Great report badknees, and really nice photos. I especially liked the sunrise on the rim pics - particularly the one with the agaves on the cliff edge lit up and the Sierra Quemadas in the distance a little less so. Also the cascade in Boot Canyon.(I also start my Big Bend hikes with a healthy dose of ibuprofen (back) but lately I'll switch off with Aleve and that may work even better). Thanks.

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 07:54:55 AM »
Excellent TR and even better pics!!!  Thank you for sharing!

And I agree, pics sometimes don't do the whole experience justice!

I could also be called badknees (or badknees jr.), but I find going downhill on the trail more painful than going up... even happens on stairs outside the park  :icon_lol:  ...you?
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:01:08 AM »
Great report badknees, and really nice photos. I especially liked the sunrise on the rim pics - particularly the one with the agaves on the cliff edge lit up and the Sierra Quemadas in the distance a little less so. Also the cascade in Boot Canyon.(I also start my Big Bend hikes with a healthy dose of ibuprofen (back) but lately I'll switch off with Aleve and that may work even better). Thanks.

Thanks all...Yeah downhill is absolutely harder on the knees. The best solution is to lighten ones' pack and drop a few pounds off the belly too! I find that starting the Ibu or Alleve the day before the trip helps.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »
Nice trip.  We were planning on heading out to Balmorhea for a few days in 2 weeks, but now looking at your pictures, I think we will do our first ever summer backpacking trip in the Chisos before hitting the pool.

Another surprise for me was the picture of the "rain lily".  I'm guessing that white flower you took a picture is one.  Did you notice that they all disappeared the next day?
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 09:48:47 AM »
Enjoyed your refreshing report and photos, badknees!  I am just beginning to plan a journey for mid-July or early August and this is very encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing.  :icon_smile: 

Must be the engineer in me, but that pipe at Boot Spring has got to have something blocking it. Wonder how we lodge a maintenance ticket with the Park? Perhaps I should bring out my plumbing snake...  :icon_lol:

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 09:57:08 AM »
Nice trip.  We were planning on heading out to Balmorhea for a few days in 2 weeks, but now looking at your pictures, I think we will do our first ever summer backpacking trip in the Chisos before hitting the pool.

Another surprise for me was the picture of the "rain lily".  I'm guessing that white flower you took a picture is one.  Did you notice that they all disappeared the next day?

Not sure but they seemed short lived. There were patches of them all over...
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
Enjoyed your refreshing report and photos, badknees!  I am just beginning to plan a journey for mid-July or early August and this is very encouraging to me. Thanks for sharing.  :icon_smile: 

Must be the engineer in me, but that pipe at Boot Spring has got to have something blocking it. Wonder how we lodge a maintenance ticket with the Park? Perhaps I should bring out my plumbing snake...  :icon_lol:

If the flow doesn't pick up following the recent rains, I would  say it could have a blockage, but you better take your own snake! :)
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline mule ears

• Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Beautiful stuff BK, amazing amount of water.  Maybe when I retire I will get to go to the Bend in the summer.   :icon_biggrin:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 04:12:57 PM »
Beautiful stuff BK, amazing amount of water.  Maybe when I retire I will get to go to the Bend in the summer.   :icon_biggrin:

There are benefits to not working. I think I'll go TWICE this summer. Also, when you reach my age....being a senior, you don't have to pay the $25 entry fee anymore, camping is only $7/night in the campgrounds, and a backcountry permit is only $6. :dance:
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »
This one will get a 2017 calendar nomination for sure.

I am now a permanent member of the bad knees club. My knees have always been a bit gimpy, but our spring break trip up Guadalupe Peak did my left knee in. Way back in 1999 I tore the ACL and lateral meniscus in a fall on a ski trip. Had the ACL reconstructed using the hamstring autograft, and the meniscus was resected. Rehabbed the heck out of it and it has been mostly fine ever since. The past few years it has tended to get sore on hikes (like at Yosemite last August), but the Guadalupe Peak experience was something else. It was getting sore on the way up, and at some point I slipped on some loose rocks and hyper-extended it a bit. On the way down, it really started to complain. Took me forever to get down the hill. Severe pain whenever I tried to flex the knee with weight on it. Had I not had my trekking poles, I might still be on that trail. For the next two weeks it was still hurting a lot. Orthopedist couldn't feel anything popping or grinding and x-rays showed only some chondromalacea (misalignment of the kneecap). I had problems with that back in the late 80's and early 90's. MRI a couple of weeks later showed that the meniscus was fine (or at least what was left after the 1999 surgery). Bursistis, more than likely triggered by the hyperextension and chondromalacea, was the apparent culprit. The knee still gets sore when riding my bike, even when wearing the prescribed knee support. I would imagine hiking will be problematic from now on. Orthopedist said surgery only had a 50% chance of helping, and since I no longer ski or play volleyball, I'll just live with it. No telling when I'll get out on the trail again anyway.

Offline badknees

• Mountain Lion
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
This one will get a 2017 calendar nomination for sure.

I am now a permanent member of the bad knees club. My knees have always been a bit gimpy, but our spring break trip up Guadalupe Peak did my left knee in. Way back in 1999 I tore the ACL and lateral meniscus in a fall on a ski trip. Had the ACL reconstructed using the hamstring autograft, and the meniscus was resected. Rehabbed the heck out of it and it has been mostly fine ever since. The past few years it has tended to get sore on hikes (like at Yosemite last August), but the Guadalupe Peak experience was something else. It was getting sore on the way up, and at some point I slipped on some loose rocks and hyper-extended it a bit. On the way down, it really started to complain. Took me forever to get down the hill. Severe pain whenever I tried to flex the knee with weight on it. Had I not had my trekking poles, I might still be on that trail. For the next two weeks it was still hurting a lot. Orthopedist couldn't feel anything popping or grinding and x-rays showed only some chondromalacea (misalignment of the kneecap). I had problems with that back in the late 80's and early 90's. MRI a couple of weeks later showed that the meniscus was fine (or at least what was left after the 1999 surgery). Bursistis, more than likely triggered by the hyperextension and chondromalacea, was the apparent culprit. The knee still gets sore when riding my bike, even when wearing the prescribed knee support. I would imagine hiking will be problematic from now on. Orthopedist said surgery only had a 50% chance of helping, and since I no longer ski or play volleyball, I'll just live with it. No telling when I'll get out on the trail again anyway.

Sounds like we're all falling apart.  :icon_cry: Mine were a little stiff today but I went out and cut the grass and they feel better with movement. It was hotter(humid) than Big Bend though!
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »
Sounds like we're all falling apart.  :icon_cry: Mine were a little stiff today but I went out and cut the grass and they feel better with movement. It was hotter(humid) than Big Bend though!
Houston yard work is good training for Big Bend!  ;)

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!