Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Big Bend... As a Day Trip?!?

• 15 Replies

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
Big Bend... As a Day Trip?!?
« on: July 19, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »
Yes, I did just that. I wasn't getting as much work done at work as I like to get done, and me being there or not being there was not going to make a difference... So I left Monday morning (on about 2 hours of sleep), packed the car and headed west at about 7:30am. I got home at 2am the following morning, went to work, got out, made THIS to share with you. I hope you do me the service of sharing it with others wherever you see fit, but that style that is in the video? That's what I intend to do for my living going forward. All of the content was from that specific trip this past Monday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX_7oUViWss&feature=youtu.be&a

Enjoy!
Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline Don H

• Diamondback
Re: Big Bend... As a Day Trip?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Thanks Rey, that was awesome!  May we all find Peace in our own way - your way rocked
"Rugged isolation in a Jeep with the top down, doors off, sweaty, dusty, listening to your flavor of tunes, immersed in the most beautiful and beguiling desert mountains in all of the Southwest, the Sierra Quemada. Nothing short of spiritual cleansing. " D. Locke

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:45 AM »
Loved this video!    Live in SA too, but never thought to try BIBE as a day trip!   :D

A couple comments/questions:

1.  Never saw the parking areas that empty!  Though our last 3 trips have been during Spring Break!  (yep, that's why)

2.  Did you go 90 or 10?  Can't decide which is quicker...

3.  Nice Rush shirt :)

4.  Your walking shots were very steady - was that just a selfie stick and a GoPro?  Or something else?

5.  How did you do the drone shots of your car at the beginning?

Again - thanks!  Enjoyed it very much!
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:33:04 PM »
Props, Rey. Well said, well shown, well done.  :great:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Txlj

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »
I myself go up a mountain to see a man from time to time. Not the same mountain, but the same area. And yes, the man is always there with the answers. They might not be the ones I want to hear, but the ones I need to hear. The Bend has a way of slowing life, clearing heads and making you think of what is right.

Sent from flat land

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all!

ds9writer, you are right... The parking lot was EMPTY! Even at PJ. I couldn't believe my fortune! THIS time I headed out via 90. 10 and 90 from San Antonio take almost the same amount of time, we've measured it a couple of times. Traffic/distance/speed variance makes it almost equal out within 20 minutes, so I don't fret over 20 minutes anymore and I kind of base it on traffic guestimations based on when I will be passing through areas/what side of town I'm leaving from/etc.

On that day trip thing, that was a one off because of how I was feeling and I think that came across in the clip. In other words, I don't think I will make a habit out of making a day trip/endurance run out there. It was sad to leave the place, but it was also amazing to feel energized the entire way over and back even after the hike!!! The amount of critters and activity that occurred right in front of my eyes just blew my mind. The grasshopper jumping into a black widow for example, that was crazy! And did you see how blue the grasshopper was?

For the record, the video is shot in 4k, all of it... If you have the ability to do it (chromecast ultra for example) you can stream that to a big screen and it is pretty slick on the big screen!

Thanks on the Rush shirt! Funny related note, it didn't fit when I got it during that tour. I only recently began changing what I ate to lose weight. David Locke probably doesn't know it, but he was a part of the inspiration behind me trying to lose that extra backpack worth of weight that I was carrying. I've lost about 65lbs so far, not much more I have to lose... Now I'm gaining muscle at the same time and feeling pretty good. Extra good because that shirt is one of the ones I truly dig wearing.

The walking shots were stabilized by the GoPro Karma gimbal. I didn't have that type of stuff until recently, and the people who inspire me take clips that are smooth... So I had to up my game!

The drone is a DJI Mavic Pro, I bought it on Amazon as one of their "box may be damaged" sales at a steep discount. That drone has auto pilot which can track items as easily as clicking on the item on your phone's screen! I highly endorse that item as something that is amazingly simple to use. Keep in mind they don't allow those in parks/etc, so I did what I could outside of the park just to improve the video with content we normally do not get to see regularly. I thought it worked pretty well!

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »
Dude. That was awesome! Thank you for sharing your deeply personal experience in such an accessible way. Living in H-town kind of negates the ability to make this a one-day trip, but I can see a weekend trip for sure, just to experience the solitude and beauty of the Bend for a short time - just enough to level set your mind. Well done sir!
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline tusker

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:35:54 AM »
Nice movie!  Thanks!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »
Beautiful piece Rey, hope you plans for a change work as you want.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
Great video Rey! Understand about wanting to go somewhere to think. BB is a good place for that!

Ran into a couple one time in the Basin who told me they were on a weekend trip from SA. They hopped in the car after work (5pm) on a Friday and headed out for BB. Arrived after midnight. Spent Sat and Sun in BB and then headed back home around 5pm on Sunday. Got home after midnight and went to work at the regular time on Monday morning. Gave them two days in BB without using any vacation time. They said they did this a couple of times a year. When you need to recharge you just go and recharge I guess.
  Bill
Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
Rey,.

Great video.  Really nice shots!

Last year I drove out to Big Bend, intending to spend several days.  That was my first hike out to the Rim.  I ended up going home after the second night because I felt I had accomplished all I "needed" to do on that trip.  Your video has spurred me to think more about making several short trips vs. the once-a-year "marathon".  Thanks for that.

I was amazed how green everything seemed.

Offline Homer Wilson

• Black Bear
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
Great video Rey! Understand about wanting to go somewhere to think. BB is a good place for that!

Ran into a couple one time in the Basin who told me they were on a weekend trip from SA. They hopped in the car after work (5pm) on a Friday and headed out for BB. Arrived after midnight. Spent Sat and Sun in BB and then headed back home around 5pm on Sunday. Got home after midnight and went to work at the regular time on Monday morning. Gave them two days in BB without using any vacation time. They said they did this a couple of times a year. When you need to recharge you just go and recharge I guess.
  Bill

I've done that 5 times now (4 from San Antonio, once from Austin). Will be doing it again next month.  Seems daunting at first, but it's basically doubled the amount of time I've been able to spend out there in the last couple years, so more than worth it!

Offline ds9writer

• Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 08:14:36 AM »
The walking shots were stabilized by the GoPro Karma gimbal.

The drone is a DJI Mavic Pro,

Excellent - they really enhance the video!  Great job again!
You don't travel to see different things,
You travel to see things differently.

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 07:30:25 AM »
Awesome video, and really loved the drone shots... even if they weren't inside the park.  You should submit the video to Fiat Chrysler...  great plug for the Jeep GC.   :)

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »
Excellent photography and video.

I was worried at first, (was I alone?) sort of afraid you were going on top of a mountain to tell us that you:  had cancer;   were going blind;  getting a divorce;  whatever bad thing could happen.
So very glad I was wasting my worries and that you are moving on to something you love.

And now for something completely different.......

I'm not sure how you are planning to put (less  ;) ) food on the table, but I'm assuming at least some of the revenue will be from YouTube traffic?

If so, then I recommend supplementing your videos with some made just for ASMR. I can't do it anymore (experience ASMR, my advanced age I expect may have killed it for me  :icon_cry: ) but I was able to enjoy it in my 30s (when I didn't know it had a name and never explained it to anyone for fear of being considered nutty) and I can still recognize most ASMR triggers. Your videos without music or narration would be great for that. Just the sound of the gravel crunching underfoot and the wind and birds chirping with the video of walking down the trail with the occasional close attention to a specific flower or insect or bird is perfect. There are a huge number of ASMR videos on the 'Tube, but if you were to concentrate on "Nature ASMR"  I think your expertise would quickly rise your videos to the top of that niche.  However, I'm frequently wrong, still you'd enjoy making them and many would enjoy watching them. Hopefully you'd at least break even and or gain the attention of someone that liked your work and wanted to hire you to do something you'd really enjoy doing.

Best wishes for this new chapter in your life!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:02:06 PM by fartymarty »
Fort Worth

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!