Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

25 day hike across the Bend

• 43 Replies

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: 25 day hike across the Bend
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:26 AM »
John
  Let me chime in with my congratulations on  your hike - what a trip and what a story. And not even a twisted ankle ? I really enjoyed the pictures - did I understand that there is more (pictures) coming ? One question  - is that 9 bucks place an old hunting  "lodge" or a ranch bunkhouse - and was it in the park ??

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
John
  Let me chime in with my congratulations on  your hike - what a trip and what a story. And not even a twisted ankle ? I really enjoyed the pictures - did I understand that there is more (pictures) coming ? One question  - is that 9 bucks place an old hunting  "lodge" or a ranch bunkhouse - and was it in the park ??
I'd assume that bunkhouse/lodge is in BBRSP. John and Tess's adventure isn't over. They may be without wifi access for a while, so if Trtlrock doesn't answer, you'll know why.  :icon_wink: And yes, I believe they have lots of pictures shot in RAW that they will not get online until they return home.

Offline Hoodoo

• Diamondback
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
John
I'd assume that bunkhouse/lodge is in BBRSP. John and Tess's adventure isn't over. They may be without wifi access for a while, so if Trtlrock doesn't answer, you'll know why.  :icon_wink: And yes, I believe they have lots of pictures shot in RAW that they will not get online until they return home.

If Im following the story and photo sequence correctly, I think the 9 Bucks graffiti was probably at the Nopalero Ruins in BBRSP.

This is Part 3, which begins on Day 22, continuing the hike through the State Park...

Soon we were approaching the Nopalera ruins, which appeared to be an old ranching line camp, which had been augmented and turned into a very rustic hunting shack.

Im still trying to grasp the magnitude of this trip! Thanks for sharing John.

Don
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:00:34 PM by RichardM »
Don
Fort Worth

Offline desertflwr

• Coyote
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »
What an epic adventure!  Thank-you for sharing! 
...in the wild places man is an unwelcome guest but its here that I'm found and here I feel blessed...

Offline jim2

• jim2
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
amazing endurance. i go to the park for four or five days, hike five/ten miles a day, eat well, sleep in a bed, and go home wiped out. how do you do it?  great photos!

Offline Ranger Tim

• Diamondback
  • Vulpes vulpes
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 12:49:17 AM »
"If Im following the story and photo sequence correctly, I think the 9 Bucks graffiti was probably at the Nopalero Ruins in BBRSP."

It is in fact at the Nopalera ruins, which is also colloquially known as "Pin-up Camp". Very cool spot but the brush gets real thick in there!
"The greatest happiness possible to man ... is to become civilized, to know the pageant of the past, to love the beautiful,... and then, retaining animal instincts and appetites, to live in the wilderness"
- J. Frank Dobie

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »
A most excellent report and photo collection! Congrats on your epic journey. Thanks for posting the details here!

Day 11: [Dec 22 then Dec 27] Made our way into the Dawson Ck drainage (dry) heading downstream into the most photogenic and insane looking badlands we have yet had the joy of traversing in BB.

When I first read this, I thought you meant this spot: 2917'36.54"N  10331'15.77"W

But then you go on to say that the badlands were reached BEFORE crossing 118. If that's true, then it wouldn't be the spot I just stated. Correct?

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »
Master Bender status here. :notworthy:

www.VirtualBigBend. com - now mobile friendly!

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: 25 day hike across the Bend - TJ badlands question
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
When I first read this, I thought you meant this spot: 2917'36.54"N  10331'15.77"W

But then you go on to say that the badlands were reached BEFORE crossing 118. If that's true, then it wouldn't be the spot I just stated. Correct?

Sorry for the late response.

When I plug in your coordinates, I seem to be next to the road and out of the park.

Anyway, here's my best guesstimate on the area I was referring to:

29 18' 56"  103 29' 3"

I'm sure the beautiful morning light and the white puffy clouds influenced my hyperbolic description.

Another set of wonderful badlands are about here:

29 17' 35" 103 31' 42"

And another is about here:

29 24' 43" 103 20' 15"

All of these are guesstimates from GE, as I don't have easy access to my GPS tracks right now. The first one is pretty accurate; the other two are more "vicinity" guesses.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:41:25 AM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:45 AM »
amazing endurance. i go to the park for four or five days, hike five/ten miles a day, eat well, sleep in a bed, and go home wiped out. how do you do it?  great photos!

Thanks. We are the "tortoise"...slow and steady, and we get there eventually. No special superpowers, or even notable physical capabilities.

Also, trekking poles and light pack weights, and lots of caching.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:32:01 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
And not even a twisted ankle ?

We are pretty careful, and the trekking poles go a long way towards avoiding injury. But I did come down with a throbbing left foot problem about half way through the hike. Just "cumulative pounding" syndrome, or at least that's my unscientific name for it.

It's been a recurring problem for me on other long hikes.

I took great care the last 10 days or so to slow the pace a tad, lace the boot a bit more loosely, and to shift a bit of weight from my pack to Tess's [  :evil:  ]...seemed to keep the situation in check enough to finish the hike.

In general, trekking poles and light weight packs really help avoid injury, as well as dropping lots of caches. Except for the times we had to schlep really heavy loads of water, my pack was probably 30 lbs, and Tess's was probably mid-low 20's.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:32:59 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: 25 day hike across the Bend - flora, fauna, and finds
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
A few more notes on the hike:

We saw maybe the earliest bluebonnets this year. Can't remember exactly where without seeing the pics, but we saw some in late-December either in northern Tornillo south of the Rosillos, and/or in Cottonwood Creek and Rough Run. Also definitely in lower Fresno Creek in BBRSP. Also lots of the cheery bi-color mustard, which (if not for bluebonnets) should be the official flower of BiBe.

As for fauna, we saw some javelinas near Fertile Sands, and then none after that until Auras Canyon, where we flushed several small packs. A grey fox in Auras. A few lizards, and at least 20 live tarantulas. Saw innumerable mountain lion tracks...almost every day.

Went to sleep and awoke to owl calls almost every night. Definitely great-horned, but also at least 2-3 other species as well. A few ravens most days, and lots and lots of hawks.

Found 3 near-complete dart points during the hike, as well as a cache of 3 perfect manos. We were able to get this info to the right people so they could record/retrieve if they thought it wise.

We also saw loads of pictographs and petroglyphs, including one site that we "discovered", by which I mean that we didn't know about it in advance, and the archeologist had heard of it, but hadn't yet visited.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:36:22 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: 25 day hike across the Bend - mini gear reviews
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:20 PM »
Here's most of the gear we took (all of the following performed flawlessly, and none of it was new or untried for us, just our usual desert-hiking stuff)

- ULA pack for Tess, and an old (just won't die) Mountainsmith Mountainlight 5200 pack for me. I wish it had water-bottle holders and hipbelt pockets, but until it dies I guess I'll keep using it.

- Esbit stove and tablets, Patagonia Micro-Puff jackets, Patagonia Houdini windshirts, Rab Phantom Grip gloves, Feathered Friends Swallow 20-degree down bags, Packit Gourmet and Mary Jane's Farm dinners (and some breakfasts), Stonewall Jerquee vegetarian-jerky, Asolo 520 boots, Smartwool hiking socks and lightweight long-john tops and bottoms, Darn Tough wool hiking socks, REI zip-off pants, modified Sunday Afternoon hiking hats, Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork trekking poles, Princeton Tec headlamps, Iridium sat phone, Garmin Oregon 600 GPS, Sea-to-Summit stuff sacks, Integral Designs eVent rain jackets (served as pre-bedtime/wind jackets), Berghaus rain pants (served as pre-bedtime/wind pants), Orikaso flatware bowls and cups, Cascade Designs platypus water-schleppers, and Thermarest Z-Rest lightweight pads.

In addition, we took Thermarest NeoAir mattresses (shorty version). One developed an impossible-to-fix leak on the first night, but we finally successfully patched it during the wait-for-the-new-camera interlude. Also Thermarest camp chairs to mate with the NeoAirs. I'm hesitant to criticize the NeoAir mattresses...take an air mattress into the desert for a month and you're bound to get a leak. Unfortunately, ours was in the seam area near the nozzle, which made an in-the-field fix problematic.

All in all, everything performed wonderfully.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:38:22 PM by trtlrock »
John & Tess

Offline tjavery

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • foto nut
    • http://www.thomasjavery.com/proj_big_bend
Re: 25 day hike across the Bend - TJ badlands question
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 10:11:51 PM »

Sorry for the late response.

When I plug in your coordinates, I seem to be next to the road and out of the park.

My coordinates are just to the east of the second set of coordinates that you gave:

Another set of wonderful badlands are about here:
29 17' 35" 103 31' 42"

They are on the lower slopes below a low east-west running mesa-like portion of land that runs out due west of the park's west entrance booth. They are on the southern side of Dawson Creek, and they are just south of, and inside, the park boundary.

Anyway, that whole stretch is just beautiful. I've only gone as far as the coordinates I gave. Every time I go out there, I get hung up taking photos and never make it any farther west  :icon_biggrin:

And another is about here: 29 24' 43" 103 20' 15"

Now that looks pretty interesting. I've crawled all through that part of the park on GE, but somehow I've missed it. I might have to check that out someday  :icon_wink:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!