Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Chisos Mtns 9/30 - 10/2

• 12 Replies

Offline rhodo

• Kangaroo Rat
Chisos Mtns 9/30 - 10/2
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
HI,

I just got back from a trip to BIBE last weekend.  Four of us drove down from Austin/NB/SA with the intention of spending Friday night on the rim.   3 of us arrived after hours to spend Thursday night in the Basin CG.  Over breakfast at the lodge restaurant, we decided  to hike down to the window while waiting on the final member of our group. Initially we had planned on driving down to Santa Elena Canyon but by this time we'd had enough of cars and couldn't bear the thought of sitting in one for 2.5 hours. 

The last of our party arrives at 2:00 and we hit the trail @2:45.  Our route was Laguna Meadows to SW Rim Trail, then E Rim Trail to SE3 arriving at ~7:00. The day was overcast and cool but not rainy (just enough to keep you from getting all sweaty and feel a little cool when you stopped hiking but not enough to don a layer), making for a very pleasant hike.   We set up tents and made dinner in the fading light. As the sun set, the wind came up so we put on fleeces and waited for the stars to come out.  I think that the temp dropped to ~49 at it's lowest overnight.

We're up before dawn to take pics of the sunrise, then breakfast, pack up and head down the NE Rim Trail, past all that water that the nice volunteer lied to us about in Boot Canyon and on to Emory Peak.  We dropped our packs in the HUGE bear boxes at the trail head, just taking water and lunch to eat on the peak.  Then back down to the VC Parking lot where we had snacks before piling into the car to grab a shower at Rio Grande Village.  Thinking that the showers were in the campground, we drove past the closed store ( it was a few minutes past five) to find the campground empty except for a couple that was motorcycle camping. They were also surprised that no one else was there but were kind enough to point us back towards the store and trade quarters for dollars so we could operate the showers.

We had dinner in the lodge restaurant, spent the night in the campground, packed up, breakfast at the restaurant and headed off for the Lost Mines Trail and a Casa Grande Summit attempt. 

Here I digress a little. I'd like to thank the members of this forum for their information on this hike. It proved invaluable to us in that  a ranger overheard me talking about our intentions with the Desk Volunteer the previous day and strongly discouraged us from taking the hike.  I asked him point blank if he was telling us that we were not allowed to go and he stopped short of saying that we couldn't, but as you can imagine, he didn't really want to provide any helpful information and the desk volunteer pretty much had nothing else to say after the ranger got involved.

Now back to the hike.  We took water, snacks and hiking poles up the trail to marker 10, followed the faint trail up the back slope of the rim and took a break in the pass before starting the final ascent.  This was such a lovely spot and it alone is worth the climb even if you decided not to do the full summit. We pressed on, I got my first taste of a scree slope (nerve wracking) and we made it to the top.  I was relieved to find it very easy going once we got past the scree slope.   Then it was back down and unfortunately, back home. 

Pictures can be found here http://www.meetup.com/backpackers-170/photos/3694562/ and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/42162759@N08/sets/72157627847912568/

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
Chisos Mtns 9/30 - 10/2
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
Nice job. Yes, the rangers discourage pretty much any hike that is not an official trail.  But they can't really tell you no as it is YOUR park.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
Re: Chisos Mtns 9/30 - 10/2
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »
Good work, especially for a quick trip.  I loved the silhouette at sunset series, they made me laugh.

It is difficult to get any real water reports from most of the folks at the Visitor Center, either because of protecting their @ss, no real knowledge, or certainly this year trying to conserve what little water there is.  That is why water reports here are like gold.  There is almost always water in some of those pools in Boot Canyon and sometimes you can find out from folks who have day hiked up to the rim and back.

Thanks for the report, you are one of the first of the fall season and these early reports not only wet the whistle but give valuable updates as to conditions as more folks head to the park.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline rhodo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:02 PM »
I guess they sort of have to lie about water conditions.  If everyone who went up there left the trail head with a liter and a filter, there probably wouldn't be any. 
The pics don't show it but I saw ripples caused by water flowing from one pool to another.  Not very fast, but easily noticeable. I couldn't venture to guess a flow rate. 

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first sunrise photo I've ever seen where El Pico
is silhouetted by the rising sun.

Have there been others posted/linked to in the past that I missed?

Regardless, nice shot rhodo!  :eusa_clap:
Fort Worth

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but this is the first sunrise photo I've ever seen where El Pico

FM, I think you have been paying attention. 

Rhodo, which shot is that?

Al

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »

We got this one from Dugout Wells area in 2/07...pretty close, but no cigar.

John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline rhodo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:13 PM »
That photo was taken while standing near the rim in the big open area straight out from SE3.  Essentially the same place as the silhouette pictures but a few minutes after.

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:58:49 PM »
That photo was taken while standing near the rim in the big open area straight out from SE3.  Essentially the same place as the silhouette pictures but a few minutes after.

Rhodo, thanks!  This is as good as I've gotten.  From a Pine Canyon campsite.

Al

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
This is the best sunrise with El Pico that I have managed

no shade, no water

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:37:05 PM »
ME, beautiful shot!  Where were you?*

Al

* Perhaps time to activate a very popular but somewhat neglected thread . . .

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:58:08 AM »
ME, beautiful shot!  Where were you?*

Al

* Perhaps time to activate a very popular but somewhat neglected thread . . .

Sorry Al, I should have added the location when I posted.  I was near the Hannold Draw campsite.

You mean the Where Am I? thread.   Great fun.
no shade, no water

Offline Karleen

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
Rhodo,
We're jealous you got to take the Window hike! Back in June, it was closed. My kids still haven't been down that trail -- between it being closed this summer, and then rainy the time before!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!