Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

How I spent my summer SAR: the OML in a day (now with photos)

• 83 Replies

Online alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
Re: How I spent my summer SAR: the OML in a day (now with photos)
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2019, 08:28:48 AM »
House
  Sounds to me like you have been given more second chances (warning shots ?) than the average bear. Might be time to heed them ?
Also, you should be a writer.

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2019, 09:42:17 AM »
House
  Sounds to me like you have been given more second chances (warning shots ?) than the average bear. Might be time to heed them ?
Also, you should be a writer.

I'd say that he is a writer.
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

Online DesertRatShorty

• Diamondback
    • Who was Desert Rat Shorty?
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2019, 02:31:43 PM »
On the bright side, House, your SAR experience was better than this poor woman's.
I roamed and rambled, and I foller'ed my footsteps
   To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
   And all around me a voice was a'sounding
   This land was made for you and me

Offline presidio

• Soaptree Yucca
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »
On the bright side, House, your SAR experience was better than this poor woman's.

On the plus side, she got a ride she'll never forget (and maybe learn that needing rescue is something to avoid).

On the downside, I recall she (and/or the family) have filed a lawsuit, because being plucked from a predicament unsolvable on your own requires availing oneself of, and assuaging discomfort with, whatever money-making opportunity an ambulance-chasing attorney can concoct.

Plus, the lawsuit pretty much obviates billing her for the rescue. That would just add insult to injury (per the likely opinion of legal counsel).

Yeah, the professionals ham-fisted that one, and they knew better. That does not equate to money changing hands as a result.

That ride wasn't any worse than the tilt-a-whirl at the carnival.
Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones): If it ain't, it'll do till the mess gets here.
--No Country for Old Men (2007)

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »
Well that'll make your head spin!
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline Summit

• Roadrunner
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »
HMoD! 

I hadn't been to this forum in some months.  I guess I should've expected I'd find SOMETHING from you of this sort, but you have a way of outdoing yourself.   :icon_biggrin:

So glad you are OK.  I hope your knee heals.  I know too well what a drag that is.  Let me know if you are back in Fort Worth--I'd love to get the long version over another cup of joe. 

Offline jtemples

• Roadrunner
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2019, 08:32:14 PM »
All I can say is WOW.  Best trip report I've ever read on BBC.  Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Offline poor_camper

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
That was quite the story. It has me reflecting on the different reasons individuals are drawn to The Bend and how they can change over time.  Mine were once for a taste of adventure but have evolved (with age) to become a spot for inflection and life assessment in the remote solitude of the desert wilderness.

I found a copy of this book at a used book store and bought it on a whim.  A wonderful reflection on the power of desert solitude.  Written from a Christian perspective but I think many of the experiences transcend any particular religious school of thought. You might enjoy it.

Wilderness Sojourn: Notes in the Desert Silence https://www.amazon.com/dp/0060619937/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_I9FtDb5DJMK45

Bought the book and, yes, I did enjoy it!

Offline Lissa

• Coyote
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
Poor_camper - glad to hear it!

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!