Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

Old Ore Road - 12 mile mountain bike ride

• 16 Replies

Offline brian67761

• Jack Rabbit
Old Ore Road - 12 mile mountain bike ride
« on: April 16, 2017, 08:48:29 PM »
On April 6 I rode my mountain bike down part of Old Ore Road.  I started at a parking area near the beginning of Dagger Flat Road.  I reached the north end of Old Ore Road and then rode south about four miles.  I intended to go farther but the road was rougher than I thought.  I turned around near coordinates 29.431502 N 103.066410 W and returned the way I came.  Here are some of the pictures I took, in order from north to south.

During my ride a small fixed wing aircraft passed over me.  I saw the letters NPS on the wing.  I wonder if this was the park's aircraft.

Offline strawhouse

• Kangaroo Rat
Re: Old Ore Road - 12 mile mountain bike ride
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
A nice and hopefully not too hot ride.  Years ago when I was in shape, I rode the Old Ore rd as a loop with the paved park roads on my Bianchi Nyala.  Took most of the daylight hours as I recall.

When the road is in that condition, I think a bike is faster than a truck.

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »
Thanks for all those shots, see anyone else out there?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline brian67761

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:34:12 PM »
Thanks for all those shots, see anyone else out there?

During my bike ride I didn't see a single vehicle on Old Ore Road or Dagger Flat Road.

Offline Solo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I plan on doing much the same ride to get to a "trailhead" for climbing Sue Peaks.  Is it much of a grade either way?
'Tis distance lends enchantment to the view, and robes the mountain in its azure hue.  -Thomas Campbell

Offline brian67761

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:01 PM »
Thanks for the report.  I plan on doing much the same ride to get to a "trailhead" for climbing Sue Peaks.  Is it much of a grade either way?

The terrain is relatively flat with a gradual uphill climb going south, excluding the wash crossings.  It was noticeably easier riding north than riding south.  Wind was not a factor for me that day.

Offline GaryF

• Roadrunner
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:10 PM »
For Sue Peaks, I'm guessing you will ride to the Telephone Canyon Trailhead?  From Dagger Flat, the elevation will range from 2850-3200 feet. No huge grades, but definitely some short steep climbs. You will also see some sand and pea sized gravel that might be hard to ride through, but only for short sections that you can walk if you need to.  Very doable.

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »
Hey, Gary....not to hijack Brian's thread, or Solo's questions, but have you ridden the entire Old Ore Road on a mountain bike? If so, what were your impressions? I'm thinking of doing it next year, north to south.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline GaryF

• Roadrunner
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 06:58:43 AM »
HMOD,      It's a nice ride, and going N to S you will lose about a thousand feet, which helps some. Don't expect it to feel like a downhill ride though.  The sand traps and the short steep climbs are the difficult features.  Take it easy on the downhills,  as the washouts and rocky sections can sneak up on you.

I was out there about the same time you were walking  across the park in December, and I ran into a series of mud holes, but that is pretty unusual.  My bike is actually a road bike with big tires, and it was a little overmatched at times,  but on a mountain bike with 2"+ tires you should be fine.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
HMOD,      It's a nice ride, and going N to S you will lose about a thousand feet, which helps some. Don't expect it to feel like a downhill ride though.  The sand traps and the short steep climbs are the difficult features.  Take it easy on the downhills,  as the washouts and rocky sections can sneak up on you.

I was out there about the same time you were walking  across the park in December, and I ran into a series of mud holes, but that is pretty unusual.  My bike is actually a road bike with big tires, and it was a little overmatched at times,  but on a mountain bike with 2"+ tires you should be fine.

Thanks, Gary, that's good info. Yep, I saw those mudholes when I crossed the OOR, moving west from Ernst Tinaja, through La Noria toward my food cache on the other side of the main park road. Pretty gooey, indeed, and the result of that massive freak storm that blew through in the first week of December. Here's a pic from then.

It's been many, many years since I drove the OOR. If my memory is accurate, the section north of Ernst Tinaja is a lot rougher than the section south of Ernst Tinaja.   Brian, if that's the case, then you tackled the hardest part during your recent outing.

Offline Solo

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 12:39:50 AM »
For Sue Peaks, I'm guessing you will ride to the Telephone Canyon Trailhead?

Actually, I think the best place to start a Sue Peaks climb is much farther north, approx. where Brian turned around.  He said about 4 miles; my GPS route says I want 4.4 from Dagger Flat Rd.  This is where the OOR turns SW and the other road/trail splits off.  What exactly is that anyway?  The Old-Old Ore Rd.?  Might be a good MTB ride if not too overgrown, especially if someone were to do an out/back trip.

From there Sue Peaks is about 12.4 RT miles of hiking.  First along a wash or two arcing north to the east, then up a wide ridge to the NW of the peak, then the summit ridge.
'Tis distance lends enchantment to the view, and robes the mountain in its azure hue.  -Thomas Campbell

Offline mule ears

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
Solo you are correct about that being the more direct route to Sue Peaks.  That is the old Ore Rd. that runs down to the TC2 campsite road.  I am not sure you can mtn. bike it as they probably consider that off road now.

You head towards the lighter colored section of the ridge and then up the main ridge to the peaks and seen here in Brian's picture

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
Hey, Solo...I agree with Mule Ears. Plenty of good ways up to the peaks from that old intersection on the Old Ore Road. I was up on the Sue Peaks ridge in December. I ran the ridge over a couple of days, north to south, starting from Dagger Flats near Devils Den and passing over Stuarts Peak along the way.  I got stopped by a freak winter storm with snow, rain, and fog. Tentbound for 60+ hours, right about at the point where I think you're hoping to attain the ridge, about half a mile and 350 feet below the summits of Sue Peaks. I eventually bailed east down into Heath Canyon during a break in the weather. The summits were still fogbound and I wasn't willing to wrestle with that. My original plan, was to follow up summitting with a descent of a neat serpentine canyon that would have taken me down into Telephone Canyon and on to the rest of my intended cross-park hike.

I mention this, because 1) the canyon looks fascinating but relatively easy to descend, and 2) while the full run would be most interesting, there are a couple of ways to exit partway down and you could use one of these to take you back toward your starting point on the Old Ore Road. It does look like it might add an hour or more to your descent versus just retracing your steps back down, so there is that to consider. I'm attaching a caltopo that shows what I'm talking about. Just another option to think about.......

https://caltopo.com/m/EJN6
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:34:05 PM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:39:59 PM »
That is the old Ore Rd. that runs down to the TC2 campsite road.  I am not sure you can mtn. bike it as they probably consider that off road now.
I thought I had posted this earlier, but guess I closed the tab after hitting Preview but before I clicked Post.  :eusa_doh:

No driving or biking past TC-2 on that road. It shows up in Google Maps. The road is blocked off by several boulders.

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
I thought I had posted this earlier, but guess I closed the tab after hitting Preview but before I clicked Post.

You did, cause I saw it earlier....now it's gone?
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2017 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!