Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

OML Trip Report: 2/28-3/3 2019

• 8 Replies

Offline trevor.steen

• Kangaroo Rat
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:36 PM »
https://ratil.life/big-bend-national-part-outer-mountain-loop/

Thank you to everyone on this site.  Using this site as a resource was a huge help in planning my trip.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: OML Trip Report: 2/28-3/3 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
Congratulations! Loved the report.  Thanks for the shout out to bbchat!

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:10:10 PM »
Great report and glad that we could help you plan a successful trip.  Definitely happy to see that the light pack message is getting through. 

Just one suggestion.  From my research most folks are saying that solar chargers are not yet good enough to use reliably.  Most thru hikers are using a back up battery pack that will give them at least 4 charges on the smart phone and also headlamps and such. 

Thanks for giving us such a good read.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:17:29 PM »
Wonderful report, Trevor, and thanks for the shout-out to BBC.  Your lessons learned seem spot-on. Iíve traveled (and am still traveling) that exact same learning curve.

And this photo is a 2019 Calendar Nomination for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Talusman

• Black Bear
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
Great report! What a cool report format! I loved this layout and enjoyed reading your story with details. Especially loved the gear layout picture. Congratulations! What were your favorite and least favorite portions of the trip?
"To Think is easy. To Act is difficult. To Act as one Thinks is the most difficult!"

Offline trevor.steen

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:51 PM »
Great report! What a cool report format! I loved this layout and enjoyed reading your story with details. Especially loved the gear layout picture. Congratulations! What were your favorite and least favorite portions of the trip?

Thanks!

Favorite Part: Probably arriving on the South Rim just as the sun rose.  That was the plan, but I honestly could not have timed it better. Having the place to myself was spectacular.

Least Favorite: The time between stopping for the day and going to bed.  I did not anticipate how lonely and bored I would be for those few hours.  On other trips I might have tried to keep going to make more distance but on this trip, that was not useful. I will likely try to hike with others in the future.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:07:42 AM »

Thanks!

Favorite Part: Probably arriving on the South Rim just as the sun rose.  That was the plan, but I honestly could not have timed it better. Having the place to myself was spectacular.

Least Favorite: The time between stopping for the day and going to bed.  I did not anticipate how lonely and bored I would be for those few hours.  On other trips I might have tried to keep going to make more distance but on this trip, that was not useful. I will likely try to hike with others in the future.
I wondered about the latter myself. I love backpacking alone, but for this one I think I will do it with a partner. Appreciate your input and the report.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Big Bend Chat mobile app

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
Wonderful report, Trevor, and thanks for the shout-out to BBC.  Your lessons learned seem spot-on. Iíve traveled (and am still traveling) that exact same learning curve.

And this photo is a 2019 Calendar Nomination for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
I second this!

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:28:23 AM »
Wondering how you slept without your tent down at Juniper Canyon... I've only done it once, but it was with a friend by a fire at Lost Maples, not alone in the wilderness.  I have an irrational fear of waking up with a serpent snuggle buddy.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!