Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Round the Bend in 16 Days: There and Not-Quite Back Again

• 276 Replies

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
Re: Round the Bend in 16 Days: There and Not-Quite Back Again
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
I used to be the kind of guy who would ask where the line was that I couldn't cross, then walk up to it and see how far I could lean over it while standing on the 'right' side.  I lost my balance once or twice doing that.

These days I tend to sit in a chair in the shade with a beer and catch glimpses of that line from time to time off in the distance. 

You seem to be the kind of fellow that tries to find where the line begins and ends!
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
I used to be the kind of guy who would ask where the line was that I couldn't cross, then walk up to it and see how far I could lean over it while standing on the 'right' side.  I lost my balance once or twice doing that.

These days I tend to sit in a chair in the shade with a beer and catch glimpses of that line from time to time off in the distance. 

You seem to be the kind of fellow that tries to find where the line begins and ends!

:great:  Namaste, Buck. Which is to say, the line-surveyor in me salutes the line-surveyor in you.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline mule ears

• Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
“House Made of Dawn, with the packraft!” the ranger announced, with a big smile.

This was clearly my week to be flabbergasted.  I stood there with my jaw on my chest, and my eyes bugged out, like an idiot, and then stammered, “But…but…but…yeah, but….how do you know that?” “Oh, I know…..I recognized you…I know all about your trip.” “Even the packraft?” I was incredulous. “Yeah, I saw you from the plane, during overflights.” I had, in fact, seen a plane three times, and waved at it twice. I was still flummoxed. I thought I was anonymously, stealthily, moving through the park, but it was beginning to seem as if everyone I met knew who I was.

“You are SPOOOOOOKY,” I said, and made Svengali fingers in front of his eyes. “Yes, I am,” he calmly replied, with a twinkle in his eyes.

I have figured out how he put it all together.  I am sure we was aware of your trip from inter-office discussion and also saw you from the air on the river in the packraft but he also clearly monitors BBC and saw Slimkitty's post of a day earlier when he had your picture, BBC handle and a glimpse of the the trip all in one.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
“House Made of Dawn, with the packraft!” the ranger announced, with a big smile.

This was clearly my week to be flabbergasted.  I stood there with my jaw on my chest, and my eyes bugged out, like an idiot, and then stammered, “But…but…but…yeah, but….how do you know that?” “Oh, I know…..I recognized you…I know all about your trip.” “Even the packraft?” I was incredulous. “Yeah, I saw you from the plane, during overflights.” I had, in fact, seen a plane three times, and waved at it twice. I was still flummoxed. I thought I was anonymously, stealthily, moving through the park, but it was beginning to seem as if everyone I met knew who I was.

“You are SPOOOOOOKY,” I said, and made Svengali fingers in front of his eyes. “Yes, I am,” he calmly replied, with a twinkle in his eyes.

I have figured out how he put it all together.  I am sure we was aware of your trip from inter-office discussion and also saw you from the air on the river in the packraft but he also clearly monitors BBC and saw Slimkitty's post of a day earlier when he had your picture, BBC handle and a glimpse of the the trip all in one.

I have relatives that served in the CIA. This has all the hallmarks of tradecraft.  And his name was a nom de guerre, if  ever I've heard one.

Offline mule ears

• Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »

I have relatives that served in the CIA. This has all the hallmarks of tradecraft.  And his name was a nom de guerre, if  ever I've heard one.
You are right about the fake name!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Big Bend Chat mobile app

temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Slimkitty

• Coyote
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »
Ok ok, I’ve learned my lesson.  The first rule of fight club is “Don’t talk about fight club.” 

Sent from the future.

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2017, 04:34:53 PM »
Ok ok, I’ve learned my lesson.  The first rule of fight club is “Don’t talk about fight club.” 

Sent from the future.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

Sent from the future.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I see that, with this quoted comment, I've arrived at 1492 posts after slightly more than a year's voyage on BBC. I feel as if this is a fraught and momentous moment: I'm in sight of a New World. Who knows what it will hold?

Offline rocketman

• Off-Grid Space Cadet
  • Diamondback
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2017, 05:13:47 PM »
Congrats House! The New World will be awesome as long as you keep posting your trip reports. Now get back to typin.... :icon_smile:
Making ice cubes FROM THE SUN!!!

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
    • Wild Light Imaging Studio
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Wait... you did a 5-day OML in the summer too?? How did I miss that? No bs... I was going to ask about doing the OML in the summer... and then you posted "I nearly died"... and I uttered <expletives deleted> um if HMOD "nearly died" that means I would be the aforementioned desiccated body if I tried that. I don't think I would  look very good desiccated. scratch that idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong House... but I think you've done this sort of thing before  :eusa_eh: :great:

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:52 PM »
Wait... you did a 5-day OML in the summer too?? How did I miss that? No bs... I was going to ask about doing the OML in the summer... and then you posted "I nearly died"... and I uttered <expletives deleted> um if HMOD "nearly died" that means I would be the aforementioned desiccated body if I tried that. I don't think I would  look very good desiccated. scratch that idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong House... but I think you've done this sort of thing before  :eusa_eh: :great:

I did it. It sucked. It nearly me killed me, but I adapted and escaped. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. There was no trip report because I did not want to do anything that would in anyway encourage anyone to imitate it. IT IS A KILLER. The cut-off is Memorial Day. Unless you cache water at every opportunity and have a lot of expendable servants to follow you with palm fans and a sedan chair.

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »

I did it. It sucked. It nearly me killed me, but I adapted and escaped. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. There was no trip report because I did not want to do anything that would in anyway encourage anyone to imitate it. IT IS A KILLER. The cut-off is Memorial Day. Unless you cache water at every opportunity and have a lot of expendable servants to follow you with palm fans and a sedan chair.

So that time that I hiked out to Mule Ears Spring, in July, with no hat and one (might've been two) liters of water was a good indicator for me to not ever do that then? I thought THAT was going to kill me... and I haven't done it since. So nyet to the summertime OML...

I have this problem (ok... it's more than just this), it's not that I don't like people... it's just that I go to Big Bend and other places to ESCAPE from my day to day interactions with "folks". If you go to BiBe in the summer it does not feel like a zoo... well... it didn't and then they had the anniversary and the park seemed to be overflowing with them... People actually showed up when I was at Cattail Falls (the nerve of some people). I mean there were actually cars in the park and and everything. Thankfully it wasn't Yellowstone or the Tetons in July (never, ever again) but it wasn't Yellowstone in November either (bliss incarnate). So the summertime has been my time to go to BiBe. It limits where I can go and how far I can go (safely). More than I thought it would.

It's taken 59 years but, since I want at least another 59 years (I will get prettier right?) so I am mindful of the things that cause pain and make me decay (or dessicate). 

The good news is... whatever I do there... whenever I do it there... it's all good...

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
iCe, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you go out on the lower portions of the OML in June or July, and probably August, you WILL die. Full stop. End of story.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:22:11 PM by House Made of Dawn »

Offline iCe

• Random Pixel Generator
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
iCe, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you go out on the lower portions of the OML is June or July, and probalbly August, you WILL die. Full stop. End of story.

Not to worry... I won't. If your experience was bad, mine would be terminal. And then I'd get a ticket for littering or feeding the animals I don't want that...

If I do an OML, I'll adjust my timeline to winter...

Offline SergeantFunk

• Roadrunner
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »
“Do what you really want before it’s too late,”

I live in the Houston area.  Was in Midland this week for work. Knowing how tantalizingly close the park was (3.5 hrs-ish), I felt the pull and said so to folks during a break.  And - them having near access to BBNP, BBRSP, GMNP, Hueco tanks, Balmorrhea, Seminole canyon etc, heck even Riudoso and lots of NM stuff...I asked "Do you guys get out there much?"  Answers were minimal.  They asked some questions about what I do in the Bend, backpacking and whatnot.

I guess the reason they stay planted is why I didn't make trips for a long time.  Theyre in the 'raising kids' zone - 30s & 40s.  It's all soccer games, band concerts, tae kwon do I'm sure.  And all that stuff is good certainly.  I'm an old band geek who still plays saxophone professionally on the side in fact. But as you say - before it's too late, do what you really want.  50 now, I'm just beginning to kick up the dirt again.  Following a recent back surgery - heavy pack trips are still a tall order.  Working on it, working on it. 

HMoD and everyone - I'm enjoying this thread immensely.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by SergeantFunk »
"Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter." -Yoda

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!