Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Spring Break Explorations 2018

• 46 Replies

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
Re: Spring Break Explorations 2018
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
BK, did you eye that hole (abandoned well) on Google Earth before you went? or did you stumble upon it?

Just stumbled across it. I went back to GE later and found it, but unless you knew it was a well, you probably wouldn't recognize it as a hole.
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline mbender

• Coyote
Re: Spring Break Explorations 2018
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
I hope the park doesn't go out there and cover it up with some bars now that they know about it.

Surely, you know that is exactly what they will do (or fill it in).

Now that it is a known hazard, the NPS will not let it be. Some inept person of questionable "outdoor" competence (but self-identified as "experienced" because they hiked the plant trail at Panther Junction) could hurt themselves.

A good example of why not everything that one finds outdoors needs to be broadcast.

Well shoot, better run out there to get a look at the badknees-creepy-well before it "disappears".

Thanks for the report, and the explorations. If the creepy well doesn't go away, then we'll have to name it after you.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!