Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Still new after all these years!

• 26 Replies

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
Re: Still new after all these years!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »

I agree; Cookie, your reports are always excellent!

I am so glad you guys went to the Rosillos area.  We have so very little info about that area on this site.
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline Peter O

• Golden Eagle
  • Jack Rabbit
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Cookie and ElHombre:  After a week at work that was pretty brutal (in a sedentary, mental kind of way), what a treat it was to read about your awesome trip!  I was lucky enough to spend several days hiking in the park a couple weeks ago (probably overlapping the tail end of your adventure), but the positive effect of my time there had begun to wear off.   Thank you so much for taking me back to Big Bend and letting me tag along with you through Cookie’s interesting descriptions and your awesome photos.  I already had an MDA hike on my to do/wish list based on reports by others, but your experience pushed it even higher up the list.  And it’s been several years since I hiked to the South Rim.  Your description of going back there reminded me that I need to do that too—hopefully with some of the family.  Thank you again!  Peter 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:37:58 PM by Peter O »

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Great stuff as always Cookie and El Hombre!  I am with you on still having lots of new places to check out even after many years. The Rosillos is near the top of the list for next trips for me as well.  On my way home now from the park and also spent 7 days walking through completely new areas for me.  Can't wait to plan the next trip.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 07:30:57 AM »
Cookie - do you access the Rosillos from Terlingua Ranch Road ? I've never explored that part of the park.

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
Access Buttril Springs on the road that is between Dog Canyon pull out and Nine Point Draw campsite turnoff.  Drive for a while and pass one house.  Then further on you will see the Buttril house up the hill from the road.  The road is real nice because the govment smooths it out all the time so that they can see any tracks from Mojados illegally walking across the road.    BP patrols it all the time looking for foot prints.  It is also the road to the airport where the govment has the air field that they fly their NPS plane out of. 

We heard a rumor that the park service will finally make some NEW car camp sites off that road in the future.  Just hope they drive the bull dosser a little further off the road than they did when they made sites  sites like PC1, PC3, PC5, Roober's Roost, Twisted Shoe.....just to name a few.    It's a big park NPS.  Give the people who paid for it a little room so we don't have cars driving 20 yards from our tents...... :great:
For 2 years the Fake News Media, Obama's FBI, CIA & DOJ, and Swamp dwelling Politicians COLLUDED, Illegally Spied,and LIED to America about POTUS in order to overturn an election

All the while demanding censorship and removal of opposition Conservative "hate speech" voices.  Globalists Hate Freedom

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »
Got it, thanks.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
anyone know the plant and the insect? We called it honeysuckle and a "birdmoth"
DSC05317 by Cookie, on Flickr

DSC05318 by Cookie, on Flickr

DSC05319 by Cookie, on Flickr

DSC05320 by Cookie, on Flickr

DSC05321 by Cookie, on Flickr
I assume the flower is a columbine.
My goodness, I stand corrected: I had always heard the other.
http://cswgcin.nbii.org/ecoregion/trans-pecos/sensitiveplants/index.html

Long Spur Columbine
Buttercup Family
Scientific Name: Aquilegia longissima Gray

I've seen photos of those moths before, but don't recall the name.

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 09:03:23 PM »

Long Spur Columbine
Buttercup Family

I always just call them "hummingbird moths". There are several (or many) different types - I bet someone on the board can name him more specifically.

Offline RichardM

• Admin/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 09:22:48 PM »

I always just call them "hummingbird moths". There are several (or many) different types - I bet someone on the board can name him more specifically.
Bingo.
https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/hummingbird_moth.shtml

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 10:00:06 PM »

Bingo.
https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/hummingbird_moth.shtml

Technically speaking, this moth (White-lined Sphinx) is in another, related genus, Hyles.   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyles_lineata

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »

Long Spur Columbine
Buttercup Family

Glad I was close on the Hummingbird moth. They do buzz you like a hummingbird too! Found the yellow flowers-Yellow Rock Nettle. They didn't have the long pieces like columbines and the leaves weren't right either. The HB moths loved them :dance:

Offline Cookie

• Golden Eagle
  • Diamondback
  • "you never slow down, you never grow old" T.P.
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
Cookie and ElHombre:  After a week at work that was pretty brutal (in a sedentary, mental kind of way), what a treat it was to read about your awesome trip!  I was lucky enough to spend several days hiking in the park a couple weeks ago (probably overlapping the tail end of your adventure), but the positive effect of my time there had begun to wear off.   Thank you so much for taking me back to Big Bend and letting me tag along with you through Cookie’s interesting descriptions and your awesome photos.  I already had an MDA hike on my to do/wish list based on reports by others, but your experience pushed it even higher up the list.  And it’s been several years since I hiked to the South Rim.  Your description of going back there reminded me that I need to do that too—hopefully with some of the family.  Thank you again!  Peter
Thanks so much! You should definitely hit the MDA!  It was a great trip....eagerly awaiting the next one in a few weeks!
Great stuff as always Cookie and El Hombre!  I am with you on still having lots of new places to check out even after many years. The Rosillos is near the top of the list for next trips for me as well.  On my way home now from the park and also spent 7 days walking through completely new areas for me.  Can't wait to plan the next trip.

Thanks ME! Can't wait to read about your latest adventure!!
~Cookie

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!